Getting jeans tapered...

xerikx

has anyone had any experience with getting jeans tapered?

a pair i have are wider and more boot cut than i'd like, so i'm looking to get them slimmed down and straightened out.

do you usually bring another pair of jeans to the tailors for them to base it off of?

thanks!

it depends on how much a detail whore you are.

first of all you are going to loose your chain stitch on the hem (assuming they are chain stitched)

second - you might want to make sure they try to match up the original seams and don't mess up any selvage lines to badly. i.e. depends on wether or not you double or single stitched inseams and wheter or not they are felled.

so yeah you can just take them to a tailor and say "taper these" but you may lose a lot of the little details.

it depends on how much a detail whore you are.

first of all you are going to loose your chain stitch on the hem (assuming they are chain stitched)

second - you might want to make sure they try to match up the original seams and don't mess up any selvage lines to badly. i.e. depends on wether or not you double or single stitched inseams and wheter or not they are felled.

so yeah you can just take them to a tailor and say "taper these" but you may lose a lot of the little details.

do you recommend just telling them to take the denim from the inside seam so that way you dont loose the selvage line?

it really depens on what the inseam looks like. the easiest way (least work) to taper them is to open the selvage line.

go from this

[-----|-----]

to this

[--------------|------------]

but that might look funny if you cuff them.

If the inseam is felled try to make sure the re-fell it. Somtimes they just do a shitty overlock and single stitch it back up. So it's up to you on what you want to mess around with. But try to find a tailor that you can communicate well with and tell them exactly which details you want to keep.

i just recently got a pair of denim altered. i told them that i wanted it tapered down to 8 inches at the opening and to make the alterations from the inside. i also asked them to try to keep the seems the same (or as close as possible) color. i also had them hem it, turned out to be close to perfect length (shorter than what i prefer but fits well). they fucked up the stitching a bit but oh well. all for around 28 bucks.

it really depens on what the inseam looks like. the easiest way (least work) to taper them is to open the selvage line.

go from this

[-----|-----]

to this

[--------------|------------]

but that might look funny if you cuff them.

If the inseam is felled try to make sure the re-fell it. Somtimes they just do a shitty overlock and single stitch it back up. So it's up to you on what you want to mess around with. But try to find a tailor that you can communicate well with and tell them exactly which details you want to keep.

i'll probably tell them to do that since i wont be cuffing and it seems like the easiest thing to do without destroying the inside seam

• 2 years later...
Is it possible to make the opening of the legs of my jeans smaller without altering other parts of the jean, or do tailors have to taper them in order to make the opening smaller? Thanks in advance.

A decent tailor or someone with a sewing machine who knows what they're up to can do this very simply and you need not end up with a taper.

Yep, most effective this way. Since you can still get a "preview". Just let the tailor the desired measurements you want your jeans to be in. Shouldnt be too tough

My tailor usually have needles/pins that mark where I want them as I wear them. Ask for that.

I meant, is that the measurements I'm supposed to give my tailor, as in, knee and opening, or do I give him other measurements, such as mid thigh or something?

Bring them in with you, the tailor will probably have you put them on, pinch/fold them until you say they look good, mark it off and then just do it according to the mark later. If you trust them you can just tell them the measurements you want at the knee and hem. Be sure and tell him where you want the knee measured from (as in how far from crotch).