football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Barcelona had 2/3's of possession over both legs, did'nt score & rarely came close...it's kinda like a boxer landing a loada body shots that don't hurt, then coppin' one in the jaw in the seventh.

Thats Barca's trademark. Tons of possession even away.

The only problem compared to their glory days is their marksmen like Messi, Eto'o, Henry etc cant score in the final third.

Rijkaard should get sacked end of the season and there will be a clearout of Barca's stars.

man, I have so much respect for Lampard now. To deal with Pat's death, played well and a coolly taken penalty. I guess that's what he's paid for, but still...

I don't think Chelsea can survive without Lampard next season. They don't seem to "flow" as well without him.

P.S just a question though:

If it was 2-2 after extra time, would Liverpool go through due to away goal advantage?

sigh...chelsea are through. It was a pretty tight match but i guess they were the better team tonight...marginally.

bad refereeing throughout though. cant help wondering if the result would've been different if hyppia had gotten that penalty.

It was only close because Babel scored that tremendous goal. During extra time, Pool's legs were gone and even after Babel's goal, Pool didnt look dangerous enough to score a 11th hour killer. So I wouldnt call Chelsea the better team marginally. Chelsea was better team 1st half and extra time. Pool better in second half.

As for bad refereeing, Pool benefitted from bad calls against Arsenal. If Hyppia had gotten that penalty, then Essien's goal should have stood and Chelsea would have advanced anyway.

End of the day, Pool doesnt have a god given right to advance to every Champions League final and Benitez should have shut up about Drogba before the match and not rile him up. I think this is the first time he produced such exquisite goals this season.

man, I have so much respect for Lampard now. To deal with Pat's death, played well and a coolly taken penalty. I guess that's what he's paid for, but still...

I don't think Chelsea can survive without Lampard next season. They don't seem to "flow" as well without him.

P.S just a question though:

If it was 2-2 after extra time, would Liverpool go through due to away goal advantage?

1. Yes. Pool got 2 away goals. Chelsea 1 away goal.

2. As for Lamps, I think they can survive in the short term without him with Ballack and Essien. Essien would be pissed he is aways played out of position like Gallas. Makelele is old and Mikel will replace him. They are looking for another playmaker like Diego. Sidwell might as well forget about it. Gerrard is an option and is as good if not better than Lamps.

But one thing the other midfielders lack is Lamps' goals which have given Chelsea many 1 or 3 points over the years. I recall the Portsmouth match this season at Fratton Park which in the past was won by Lamps' goals.

in what sense did you turn them over? you had the tie in hand and almost threw it away. you can laugh all you want but like them you'll win f**k all this season and half your team will go in the summer.

LOL @ all that

and who do you support bucko

• 2 weeks later...

Since Fergie have problems listing his team for the big Moscow final, thought i will lend a hand.

Barring injuries, here is Man U's team:

Van Der Sar, Evra, Rio, Vidic, Brown. Even if Neville is fit, Brown will play because he is more match fit and he just signed his big contract despite his earlier waffling.

Scholes - because Fergie said he will play.

Hargreaves - because he was bought for these big matches.

Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez.

That leaves one: It will be Giggs unless Fergie wants someone fast down the flanks, then it should be Park or Nani.

Scholes and Giggs wont be good choices and they should make way for Carrick who can form a holding and passing midfield better with Hargreaves.

For Chelsea:

Cech, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley and Ferreira.

Ferreira over Belleti because Ferreira can stop Ronaldo better based on past performance. Belleti's passes are much better but he lacks pace.

Makelele over Mikel because Grant favours Makelele for big matches notwithstanding he cannot stop pacy wingers bombing with crosses all over the place like what Villa did.

Ballack and Lampard.

Joe Cole and Drogba.

That leaves either Kalou or Anelka or Malouda.

So far Anelka far left has failed. Kalou is patchy and Malouda is crap.

SWP doesnt' even warrant a place on the bench for months.

I bet Grant will pick Malouda.

You're saying that Essien won't play?:rolleyes:

Prob as a sub. Grant have been using him as a right back or even worse central defender in order to switch to 3 at the back when they need it and Essien go in front in midfield.

But honestly Essien sucks at right back. His crosses are all over the place and he blundered by conceding needless corners all the time. Last season, thanks to Cashley, he scored even an own goal for Reading. Cech always berate him. Also, I dont know whether he can shackle Ronaldo. Prob not.

Dont know whether he can play wide left to support Drogba over Kalou, Anelka or SWP. Prob not.

If this continues and Lampard stays, Essien would prob go.

Maybe a swop for Robinho?

So if Grant is smart, Essien will be a sub.

Van der Sar

Brown

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Hargreaves

Scholes

Carrick

Ronaldo

Tevez

Rooney

Subs

Kuszczak

Giggs

Anderson

Nani

Silvestre

Park

Fletcher

Hmm maybe Anderson instead of Carrick. United need someone to battle the likes of JT, Lamps, Drogs and Ballack for the ball.

I'd personally go with Anderson & I hope he starts (especially with how he's done against Arsenal etc), it's just I think Fergie will go with more or less the same team that knocked out Barcelona.

Thats true. Hope his faith in Giggsy and Scholes are not misguided.

Giggsy did nothing the whole season. His so called winning goal in Wigan was useless. Man U won it with Ronaldo's penalty and even if Wigan equalised, Man U would have been champs based on goal difference.

I don't think Anderson will start, it'll prob be Scholes Carrick Hargreaves in the middle with the usual back four and attacking three. Though I do think he might go with a 4-4-2 but we'll need alot of bite in the middle of the park against chelsea as we saw at the bridge they can play like a pack of wolves if we don't have combative players.

Anderson (Vs chelsea) did something odd, in that he got better as the game went on, much better. So he'll be a impact sub along with Giggs or Nani.

essien will play right back, it's one of those dumb moves that earns grant his reputation but really he's their best player by a country mile so he's got to play somewhere even if in a half-assed kind of way. ballack also should be a gimme but who knows if grant is capable of learning from his lessons.

i suspect many of the available united veterans will feature because they will need the leadership and experience - which i believe will be the difference. anything to see terry leading his team to collect their losers medals twice in one season.

Remember the Carling Cup Final...haha, make it for a 3rd time hopefully. :P

It could be a repeat of last years coma inducing FA Cup final.

But Chelsea needs to desperately win something this year and it will be the last hurrah for the likes of Drogs, Lamps, Mak and Ballack. Whatever new club they go, if it aint English wont get into the finals that easy and the rest are a bit too old.

I don't think Anderson will start, it'll prob be Scholes Carrick Hargreaves in the middle with the usual back four and attacking three. Though I do think he might go with a 4-4-2 but we'll need alot of bite in the middle of the park against chelsea as we saw at the bridge they can play like a pack of wolves if we don't have combative players.

Anderson (Vs chelsea) did something odd, in that he got better as the game went on, much better. So he'll be a impact sub along with Giggs or Nani.

Everyone keeps talking about the match at the Bridge.

But the Bridge was without key players like Vidic, Evra, Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo for entire 90 min. United needs strong players and passers like Hargreaves and Carrick. But Scholes who can't tackle to save his life?

That would mean Rooney and Tevez would have to double back to collect the ball.

essien will play right back, it's one of those dumb moves that earns grant his reputation but really he's their best player by a country mile so he's got to play somewhere even if in a half-assed kind of way. ballack also should be a gimme but who knows if grant is capable of learning from his lessons.

i suspect many of the available united veterans will feature because they will need the leadership and experience - which i believe will be the difference. anything to see terry leading his team to collect their losers medals twice in one season.

I think you are right.

Despite all the recent praise for Grant and how his record is better than Jose, they conveniently forgot how he is clueless during important matches like against Spurs, and how he fails to rally his troops when they need direction. They still ask Clarke for directions during Spurs finals and Pool semis. Clarke and JT are the ones who encourage the troops. Who can forget Drogba's what are we supposed to do comment to Clarke during the 4-4 at WHL.

So Grant will play Essien who will let Ronaldo run riot at the right.

Dont think Essien is the best. Joe Cole is better and Ballack is better but can be poor for some matches. Essien is a tireless dynamo. He could be better if played in his preferred position but we will never know since he is below Ballack and Lamps in the attacking midfield pecking order.

Whatever as long as it's not Celski... Anyone watching FA Cup tonight?

I will. Im all for Pompey tonight.

Defoe needs to showcase himself in the European stage next season. Well he deserves it IMHO. His stay at Totenham was very unpleasant.

I will. Im all for Pompey tonight.

Defoe needs to showcase himself in the European stage next season. Well he deserves it IMHO. His stay at Totenham was very unpleasant.

Defoe is cup tied. He cant play. They better hope James can play and everyone is on top form. Harry needs to go to Europe next season.