Girl Talk

naturaljax

i'd put unstoppable at the same level as night ripper, maybe just a tad bit higher because he samples Khia. haha.

i saw him late last year at my school. the show absolutely sucked. people might be into his live show but i thought it was terrible. i honestly thought it was the act that came out before girl talk.... he was standing in the middle of the crowd on his laptop clicking away.. and to me, that's not performing. i could do that. i was expecting at the absolute least that he'd have a CDJ up there actually making mashes.

might be better to MegaUpload that since they keep it up for a long time.

I have really really mixed feelings about the dude. for one-- i'm glad he's gotten his name out there for doing what he does... insane live shows, unstoppable energy, mashing up and disregarding any and all bounds of "copyright" and artist integrity to make something raw and new...

but there's a hype factor, asshole factor of making it large, general cockiness, and the kids who follow him that riff on my bad side.

hate to be the "i knew him when he was underground... before he sold out and shit" but i had seen a few of his sets a few years back. one of my favorite sets was last year just before pitchfork put his name out there and all of his CDs sold out. it was a performance in conjunction with some art grad students at my school. a bunch of pittsburgh (gregg's hometown) bros from southside barge in screaming "YEEEAH!!! WERRR'S THE BEEEEEEYuR!?" apparently they heard the hype about booty-shakin, american apparel, hipster girls goin wild at girltalk's shows from reading the city paper. they kinda interrupted the flow of some of the night performances, but as a whole things went well for the performance art part. then girl talk gets on stage and starts wreckin the place. kids jump on stage (and off) and go nuts. the bro's stand at the fringes unsure of how to groove with the beat or how the hell to grind and rub up on someone to the music. some of their confused expressions were my favorite memories from that night. the set was a blast.

i got a prof. who's setting up a festival in pittsburgh later in the year with girl talk playing at the warhol museum theater. things are starting to get painful since gregg has so much hype surrounding him now, and the warhol holds about 100 people (it's also a seated venue) so spreading the word and music is definitely limited. dealing with all of this is starting to become a bit of a nightmare, but hopefully things will pan out...

• 2 weeks later...

listening to him right now, surprised when i saw this thread..

anyways night ripper is the shit.

i dont really know why everyone thinks 2manydjs is better..theyre pretty good but seems very club-oriented..the mashups on night ripper are a lot more clever and all mix together perfectly. my favorite sample was the smashing pumpkins sample on overtime.

BTW, does anyone have any of his previous work for download? or any live sets?

i cant find anything except night ripper anywhere. im looking for unstoppable.

Guest StuckOnStupid
I clicked on this topic expecting a discussion about the board game. Disappointed.

But I'll check this mashup guy out.

HAHHhaHAHAHAHAH!!! WOW!

was that the one with the phone?

Guest StuckOnStupid

but seriously, why are people going crazy over this stuff? 10-12 years ago we used to buy Dirty Harry & Ron G tapes that were more or less the same fucking thing, but with better music for the most part. We called them "blends". now white people with women's jeans and ironic dookie ropes have somehow re-invented the wheel. amazing.

listening to him right now, surprised when i saw this thread..

anyways night ripper is the shit.

i dont really know why everyone thinks 2manydjs is better..theyre pretty good but seems very club-oriented..the mashups on night ripper are a lot more clever and all mix together perfectly. my favorite sample was the smashing pumpkins sample on overtime.

BTW, does anyone have any of his previous work for download? or any live sets?

i cant find anything except night ripper anywhere. im looking for unstoppable.

does anyone have anything from 2manydjs? I couldn't find anything.