Sign in to follow this  
Analog

Dior Homme F/W '07-'08

I feel this collection is a "greatest hits" for Slimane. Kinda.

I got that vibe from S/S 06 with some VERY obvious outfits, but not so much from this. Seems more like an attempt at ... designing for the stores rather than the runway.

That was... hell.

4/10.

Fuck geometric blazers.

Fuck mitt sleeves.

Fuck soviet trooper boots.

Fuck three button suits, I am not wearing DH to funerals and goddamn baptisms.

Fuck flowing pants.

The Japanese editions of the 18cm jeans better be down to at least a 17.5cm true if Hedi Slimane wants any more of my money.

:(

Does anyone know what song is playing in that video?

I like it quite a bit.

Did Hedi sign a new contract with Dior? This year was his last on the old contract, right?

So you are saying that he is working freelance for Dior? That's quite a risk for Dior isn't it. Like when Hedi would feel not doing a collection he actually can? That would be crazy. But possible, don't know.

I'm loving a lot of this..

But disliking the shapelessness of so much of it.

I see a strong middle eastern desert nomad influence throughout the entire season, and the moving away from modern culture is also apparent.

i'm very interested to see these all in person later this year.

i like shapelessness. it's refreshing.

that said, i think the shapeless/floating layers look hedi was going for with this collection will fall flat once the actual clothes hit store shelves. As I mentioned on another board, Dior's finish is too polished, the fabrics tend to be on the 'hard' side. Every time Hedi's come out with something that looks grungy and nonchalantly layered, the end result in stores tends to be very far from it (see: S/S 05).

i like shapelessness. it's refreshing.

that said, i think the shapeless/floating layers look hedi was going for with this collection will fall flat once the actual clothes hit store shelves. As I mentioned on another board, Dior's finish is too polished, the fabrics tend to be on the 'hard' side. Every time Hedi's come out with something that looks grungy and nonchalantly layered, the end result in stores tends to be very far from it (see: S/S 05).

Which is precisely what I've always loved about Dior. The finished product is usually a very wearable interpretation of the runway pieces. Many of these runway peices seem so tattered and threadbare, but the showroom/store peices will - hopefully - promise looks that are more refined and practical, while still being distinctly Dior homme.

Which is precisely what I've always loved about Dior. The finished product is usually a very wearable interpretation of the runway pieces. Many of these runway peices seem so tattered and threadbare, but the showroom/store peices will - hopefully - promise looks that are more refined and practical, while still being distinctly Dior homme.

the thing is - for the kind of effect the runway presentation is going for - something too polished doesn't look or feel natural. I liked Dior best when it was more cohesive in its identity (e.g. the earlier seasons). I haven't seen any pieces before Follow Me, but even then it looked more seamless. The look was classic and tailored while maintaining a slight edge, and the actual pieces fit the bill. The only Dior stuff i still like is the suiting - Hedi never really lost his touch there - all the sportswear and non tailored outerwear, and even some of the more elaborate formal pieces feel either too safe and predictable or they don't really serve any purpose other than to be show pieces.

In a way, I think Number (N)ine, Ann D, and Rick Owens are better for that reason - you get what you see, pretty much.