Raw or One-Wash?

aubrgene

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally I gotta go with the one-wash, 'cause I've too-long legs and that way I don't have to worry about more shrinking once I wash it. Cuts my selection of denim down like, in half though.

But better to be safe than sorry.

is there any hope for good wear and fade?

Of course. There are plenty of examples of nice looking one wash denim. There really isn't a big difference between a one wash pair and a once soaked pair.

It may be a bit harder to set creases initially, but that shouldn't change the end results. If you're that worried about setting creases though, soak them and put them on while damp.

Of course. There are plenty of examples of nice looking one wash denim. There really isn't a big difference between a one wash pair and a once soaked pair.

It may be a bit harder to set creases initially, but that shouldn't change the end results. If you're that worried about setting creases though, soak them and put them on while damp.

That's what I've beeen doing with my raw/rigids. I soak them and wear them while they're slightly damp. It also gets the shrinking out of the way and I can 'work' them.

cool, I was just a bit worried becuase they didn't have that shinny new denim look. they've got a small bit of post wash 'fuzz' on em and I just got the impression that they be more difficult to 'work'

Not for me. Now I just wear them and probably won't wash them for a while... and I mean a while. Of course, if you never plan on washing your raw denim then you'll have that 'shiny' new look. I don't know how long the shine will stay though; they'll probably wear out over time.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

poostain, you're a weird kent.

one wash for me - i prefer things to be shrunk as much as possible to the nth degree where n is an element of R+.

this assures that when you wash it for the first time, you can be assured that it won't be so tight if you don't gain weight.

and also, if you're going to one wash it anyway... why take the risk?

i believe most places don't take back jeans that are already rinsed.

poostain, you're a weird kent.

one wash for me - i prefer things to be shrunk as much as possible to the nth degree where n is an element of R+.

this assures that when you wash it for the first time, you can be assured that it won't be so tight if you don't gain weight.

and also, if you're going to one wash it anyway... why take the risk?

i believe most places don't take back jeans that are already rinsed.

I live in Melb too. Where abouts do you live? Want to break into some of my jeans for me? I bought too many at once and summer is coming. Just as long as you don't run off with them or leave funny penis smells in them.

this is a guess

but isnt it that the cotton contracts when shrinking so that it is more dense/heavier per yard so the denim is said to be heavier after wash

they do weigh by yard right?

Home run!

Weight by square yard (or grams per square metre) is the way to do it. Sometimes cloth is weighed by linear length, which at that point, the width of the fabric must be taken into account.

Regarding one-wash versus dry-and-then-home-soaked - as pointed out above, the 'results' after prolonged wash and wear are negligible. Wearing jeans dry is slightly different, as they are more brittle.

Some stores will offer one-wash versions to try on for size and then sell you dry jeans. They may also have an extensive knowledge of the shrinkage of each pair of jeans, so that they can hem dry jeans with change of length taken into consideration.

For those who enjoy controlling the shrinking and watching the starch seep out of the denim and the transformation of the legs twisting before your own eyes, this a good solution. My guess is that it's this ritual that's part of the fascination of buying dry jeans.

Wise words from RingRing - it's easy to be mis-led by a belief that 12.5 oz raw jeans are lighter weight than the 'standard' 14oz washed jeans. I believe this was one of the reasons Lee jeans at one time could claim to be a heavier weight than Levi's - because the Lee jeans were Sanforized (ie preshrunk).

One proviso about checking post-shrink sizing in a store. If they're LVC, the raw jeans and the washed jeans are made in different factories, so you can't make assumptions about the former from the latter!