Favorite Polo shirts?

soultek

Never understood what the big deal was with the CDG/Fred Perry polos either. The ones from last season looked exactly the same as the regular ones with the exception of the nifty little tag indicating the CDG collab and of course the $200 markup. The new ones at least seem a little different but still nothing spectacular. As for Polo, I've yet to try the slim fit ones and the regulars are just too damn big for my tastes. Penguin I find so-so in terms of quality, but decent enough for $50 bucks. I have a few J. Lindeberg polos from last season and they look and fit great as well.

Edited by Circa on May 17, 2005 at 11:08 PM

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Never understood what the big deal was with the CDG/Fred Perry polos either. The ones from last season looked exactly the same as the regular ones with the exception of the nifty little tag indicating the CDG collab and of course the $200 markup. The new ones at least seem a little different but still nothing spectacular. As for Polo, I've yet to try the slim fit ones and the regulars are just too damn big for my tastes. Penguin I find so-so in terms of quality, but decent enough for $50 bucks. I have a few J. Lindeberg polos from last season and they look and fit great as well.

Edited by Circa on May 17, 2005 at 11:08 PM

--- Original message by Circa on May 17, 2005 10:59 PM

Tried on Fred Perry, LaCoste and Polo (both fits) at the same store to get some close comparisons.

(thanks for the feedback everybody btw..)

Polo definitely has a heavier material than the other two popular brands. I also like that Polos have a slightly longer arm length. Good for tall people, as someone noted. Standard Polos ARE a boxy fit. The slim fit (i think they call them custom fit) were better fitting around the midsection, but the arms were much tighter (which I didn't like)

Fred Perry's fit around the midsection wins in my opinion.

LaCoste didn't have anything to offer that the other two brands had it beat at (besides a neat logo)

Of course this is for my body type (tall, large frame). I'm sure it's different for everyone.

BTW, Old Navy is selling their polos 2 for 20$. The sizes range wildly (production tolerances are all over the place) though. They are a boxy kind of cut, but I actually like how they fit in the shoulder/chest area. Can't beat the price, and there's no logo for all you no-logo types.

Have yet to try some of the more esoteric brands.

there's nothing like wearing a cheap ass polo shirt with a $300 pair of jeans. icon_smile_big.gif

i'm gonna stop by old navy and pick up a half dozen of white polo's for cheap. still one of my favorite sweatshirt is an old navy one my mom bought for me right before i went to college in the mid 90's.

• 2 weeks later...

^ That's the anniversary edition Lacoste polo they did last season. Huge croc is the only real diff, and the price of course was higher than the orig. The price was still lower than the platinum range stuff tho.

I still wouldn't say RL Polo's are the best. To answer that question it still really boils down to personal tastes. Quality wise RL Polo's as decent enough as any. Fit wise is where the real difference between polo shirts comes into play. However, with almost all companies offering the same cuts/colors these days it just comes down to what logo you want to sport and how many $$$s you want to spend.

Edited by Circa on Jun 1, 2005 at 08:29 PM

im really liking the burberry polo. im loving my black one with red embroidered logo. the novacheck on teh button part really highlights the shirt. and not to seem shallow or anything, i want it to be known that im sporting the 'berry. o i also like my polo that i customed on the site. black with neon green logo. im lovin it.

if anybody is interested, brooks brothers is having a sale on their pique polo shirts. i've just picked up half a dozen of the slim fit shirts in different colors. 3 for $79 and with very decent color selections, you can't beat it w/ a polo stick. quality wise, i'd say they're better than lacoste although a bit thinner than the ralph lauren polo. they actually fit very well too! not a bad idea to stock up the basic colors for the next few years. the deals are good online as well as in their stores.

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Polo is good for size, cut and colours but Lacoste is the good shit. The mother of pearl buttons, the "petite pique" cotton and of course the aligator. Polo has become a bit too over used, i think people who wear Lacoste are feeling the classic heritage vibe more.

I am pissed i had an old Lacoste polo with the word Lacoste embroidered into the actual aligator and i sold it for a few bucks at a market stall when i was clearing out a lot of shit. Has anyone seen these before, are they vintage or fake?

actually, it's a crocodile.

the Lacoste embroidered croc i believe is from one of Lacoste's french sub-contractors some years ago. of course, there are fakes now with the same style croc logo. so, the answer to your question depends on when you bought the shirt and from where. modern lacoste polos have a ready-made croc sewn on with fishing wire like thread, which i don't mind because i can snip the damn thing off altogether. i usually wear mine w/ apc jeans, no logo visible anywhere icon_smile.gif

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif