San Diego: NEW BOUTIQUE & ART SHOW! Magpie Boutique Grand Opening and "World of Wonder: Paintings in the Key of Stevie"

sugarboots

wowflyerfront.jpg

wowflyerback.jpg

Magpie Arts and Boutique Grand Opening presents:

World of Wonder: Paintings in the Key of Stevie

Curated by: Chako Suzuki

As much as it may be said that I am an inspiration to others, you know, others are an inspiration to me (and) inspire me. So I think it is kind of a ying-yang kind of thing.

— Stevie Wonder, Technology, Music, and Being Blind, CSUN Conference

It ain't no superstition that everybody loves Stevie. He has written some of the most influential, important, and beloved do-be-do's of our time, and Magpie Arts wants to do its part in paying homage to him with its "World of Wonder" art show. Curator, Chako Suzuki, has drafted two bad mamma jamma artists, Evah Fan and Susie Ghahremani, to paint new works influenced by such heavenly grooves as Sir Duke, Boogie On, Reggae Woman, and Do I Do.

Cutie-pie artist couple, David and Meegan Cuzick mulled over of the idea of opening a hybrid gallery and boutique for over a year. Lots of brainstorming, buying, and hammering later, Magpie was born - its moniker a twist on Meegan's name and an ode to their fascination with birds. David built up the space and Meegan lovingly plucks each vintage item for the store to make visiting Magpie an experience and not just a shopping trip.

Opening night reception and grand opening party is on Saturday, March 27 from 7:00 until 11:00 pm, and is absolutely free (afterwards, head on over to the Whistlestop Bar for Bootie Basement night)! Magpie is located at 2205 Fern St. in South Park, San Diego. There will be lots of Stevie Wonder playing, artwork, and great clothes and accessories to buy, so gather your funds (credit cards and cash accepted). Bring the flier for 10% off boutique items! The show will run until April 27, 2004.

Evah Fan swears that she was smarter before the removal of the wisdom tooth. She is raspy-voiced and often murmurs to her neutered Jalapeno. Evah usually works with acrylics on paper, but guache is another favorite to get dirty with. The images produced are usually out of place, making sense in a nonsense way. Her work can be viewed at: http://204.97.89.2/%7Eefan/Pages/homey.html

Susie Ghahremani works as an illustrator, musician and painter out of her apartment in Rhode Island, the same town in which she received her BFA

from the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) in 2002. The patterning and attention to detail and color in her paintings and mixed media pieces are heavily intertwined with her interest and experiences in music. Her work has been featured on record covers, in a number of juried art shows around the world, and has seen publication in many magazines, including Bust, Martha Stewart Kids, Mac Design, and Utne. When Susie isn't making art or making music, you can find her rollerskating through her neighborhood of historic Benefit Street while eating ice cream and listening to the Pixies. For more information, please visit: http://www.boygirlparty.com

Edited by sugarboots on Mar 15, 2004 at 01:10 PM

• 2 weeks later...