Boston

illhannah

Yeah, get away from there! What exactly are you looking for? If it's shopping you're after you're not going to find much else. Better bookstores, music stores, and bars/ clubs are elsewhere. Just tell me what kind of thing you're interested in, you're conveniently located to everything.

For help on a weekly basis (gallery openings, restaurant reviews, and a majority of the shows in town) I'd reccomend picking up the Dig, look for the orange newspaper boxes. It's free!

Alright, I totally second the Middle East/ TT's reccomendation, they're both solid joints, the Middle East also serves up some great middle-eastern food. I'd also throw in my lot with PA's Lounge (Union Square, Somerville), Great Scott (Allston), and Charlie's Kitchen. All of these places have bars and, besides Charlie's Kitchen, great concerts (Charlie's has a punk or noise show every once in a blue moon).

If you're looking for a place where you can go bar hopping I'd suggest Allston. There are a plethora of bars on Harvard Ave/ Brighton Ave with tons of different crowds. Frat boys, 25+, and working professionals. If you're looking to drink with art kids, hipsters, or scene kids, you have to get yourself to a house party.

Davis Square in Somerville, accessible by the Red Line is a great bet for dinner and a movie. Redbones is basically the best rib joint in New England with a totally awesome New Orleans vibe (IIRC). Depending on the season there are tons of people sitting out on the square and the atmosphere is incredible. There're great burritos (Anna's), beer/ steaktips (Hunt's), and the theatre is wonderful.

Also the best theatres are at Kendall Square (the biggest one, it's a bit of a walk from the Red Line stop), Coolidge Corner in Brookline (quick jaunt up the C from Copley/ whatever your subway stop and close to Allston) which also has another Anna's (they are the best taqueria in town and ridiculously cheap for Boston), and in Harvard Square at the Brattle.

So, in summary, some areas you should check out

-Davis Square

-Central Square (take the walk up Mass Ave. to Harvard to hit the bars, People's Republik, Plough and Stars, and others, down to hit the rock clubs/bars that are worth something)

-Harvard Square

-Coolidge Corner

-Allston "Center" (Harvard Ave. and Brighton Ave.)

Feel free to ask if you want something more specific/ any questions.

I've been eating Blue Ribbon for years and it definitely used to be a whole lot better (or maybe I'm just getting tired of it). It's kind of out of the way, too, unless there's one outside of West Newton.