Levi's takes on Japanese Denim Resellers and Manufacturers

kiya

As others have said, my understanding is that Levi's do not have copyright provision in Japan thus I suspect (and hope) the lawsuit prohibits the sale of such items in territories where Levi's can enforce their copyright, i.e. the US, UK etc etc. I don;t mean to undermine posts from the likes of Kiya who I'm sure are privy to more info in the lawsuit than me but just saying I wouldn't be suprised if Levi's apparent big gun in in fact a water pistol.

I think the fact that these companies are selling overseas into the States, hence violating U.S. copyright laws, would put them in deep shit--as well as giving Levi's some legal room to go after them. If they keep it in Japan, perhaps Levi's would be unable to do much.

I've already PMed him a link to this thread. I'm going to ask him about ordering me another pair of Onis, too. The thing is, it's already 9:15am Thursday in Tokyo, so he doesn't have much time left to fill everybodys orders.

Isn't anyone in this forum a lawyer? Even Niketalk's got a couple...

I doubt that Japanese companies will comply by Friday's deadline. I don't know of a US Court that can impose an order to stop manufacturing in Japan. Was it the World Court? While I'm certain that US stockists (BIG, SE) will want to adhere to avoid a suit - until this is rectified or they're granted an injunction - I doubt a single Japanese manufacturer will comply immediately...

Panerai forced Ken Trading to stop producing the RXW MM20 at Japanese court. and they only made watches that pay homage to the original Italian Navy watch, not exactly to "copy" Panerai's... but anyway, I am not a lawyer but they could probably enforce it in Japan with the kindda money and power they have, unfortunately...

its Levi...biggest denim brand around, who would notify every single store? probably the 3905434334543543543 employees that work for Levis

That doesn't really play into it in certain instances. Alot of the denim consignment stores, etc. in Japan may not officially be on any distribution lists for the major Japanese denim brands involved. They will pretend they haven't heard anything until Levi's actually comes knocking on their door, which in several cases, I am sure could be never.

Guest jeffvyain
From what I have always understood, the levis arcuate is the oldest continuous patent still in existance. Levis defends this patent very aggressively and normally wins.

there's no way levi's arcuate would be a patent. that said, patents have a timeline, and if it ever were a patent, it's time would be long gone. trademarks, however, do not have a timeline, in a sense. essentially, a trademark's strength in court depends on the trademark's strength in the market. in this instance, levi's has quite a case. but i still see no confusion.

Isn't this the reason Samurai have 'export' models? I always found it odd that BIG didn't get those. It's a no brainer that Levi's would eventually enforce the law on their own doorstep.

Will be super surprised if Levi's can enforce things in Japan (surely the LVC Japan division would have helped Levi's Western divisions file a case looooong ago?) and perhaps more worryingly, if they do, it might become a legal precedent that many companies utilise. Don't mean to get carried away but this may cause some serious ripples. Maybe Marshall will go after all the guitar amp manufacturers that try to emulate the same warmth? The same with Fender? Will Nike renew attempts to kill off the Bapesta's?!

Levi was NOT the orginator, he was just quick with the paperwork, get your hand on the VINTAGE DENIM book by John Little and read the company history there and you'll see Levi was a clever man but never 'invented' denim.

that said it all about the money and reduced market share kill off the little guy and make a bigger home for yourself

working in and loving denim, as I do, this is F**KED up, just want to say good luck to all 'Niche' brands and keep fighting

Neil

Levis was the originator, plain and simple. Even if they fell off, you cant just jack someone's style,claim it as your own(slightly modified or not) and not pay eventually.

agree. not one manufacturer in japan will comply. the japanese legal system is about as tough and rigid as a bowl of tofu. besides - the domestic demand for all these brands far outweighs what they sell outside of japan anyway. they might just decide to bring out a few 'export models' down the line. the sky hasn't melted just yet.

Isn't anyone in this forum a lawyer? Even Niketalk's got a couple...

I doubt that Japanese companies will comply by Friday's deadline. I don't know of a US Court that can impose an order to stop manufacturing in Japan. Was it the World Court? While I'm certain that US stockists (BIG, SE) will want to adhere to avoid a suit - until this is rectified or they're granted an injunction - I doubt a single Japanese manufacturer will comply immediately...

agree. not one manufacturer in japan will comply. the japanese legal system is about as tough and rigid as a bowl of tofu. besides - the domestic demand for all these brands far outweighs what they sell outside of japan anyway. they might just decide to bring out a few 'export models' down the line. the sky hasn't melted just yet.

all i can think about here is the south park episode with chimpokomon.

"you americans, you have such huge penis, please excuse my small japanese penis...so small"

There not big enough,

to fight this it would take all the companies to join together and file a class action, but it's copyright law and sadly size does matter, levis would drag it out until they all ran out of money.

Neil

if sugar canes wants to contest and their parent company complies, they might be able to go head to head with levi's for quite some time. everybody remember Toyo is huge company in its own right.

There not big enough,

to fight this it would take all the companies to join together and file a class action, but it's copyright law and sadly size does matter, levis would drag it out until they all ran out of money.

Neil

im just saying if sugar cane wants to drag it out, Toyo Co.(not saying just the sugar cane branch) has the resources. However I doubt it will happen as they have previously complied