martin margiela aids v-neck

Guest jmatsu

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been trying to collect these. can someone tell me which colors i'm missing? what season did they first start at (around 7 years ago)?

also, in japan the price is obviously higher then $70-$80. i've seen certain colors go astromical over 8400yen (years ago when the yen was weak the price was obviously alittle lower) even in legitimate boutiques with the appropriate mm account. exactly just how much money goes to fight aids (from japan and in the west)? what is the wholesale price? do they still re-print and sell older seaons' colors at the maison boutique in paris (rumored)?

do people like them as much as i (maybe that one mod does...)?

i own:

white on red, gold on black, black on black,white on brown, baby-blue on off white, blue on green, white on purple, silver on black, black on white, and black on orange.

what am i missing?

You are missing beige on brown (unless white on brown is what you are referring too), and beige on blue, and white on torqoise - these are what I have (plus gold on black). They are supposed to cost $45 here, and 22GBP, roughly. A proper presentation of these are in a plastic bag with a cardboard sign inside with names and websites of legit AIDS organisations to which you can donate directly. Some stores try to mark them up to $80-90 in the US as well, which is pathetic. I am not sure which % goes to donation, but I wouldn't be surprised if everything does. $20 that Margiela charges them is probably not a big deal compared to the prices of his other stuff - this is more of a gesture (I mean why couldn't he sell $200 jeans like Edun does?). This is speculation, of course.

• 5 months later...

Acording to the guy in the London MM store all profits goto the cause (i.e. they only cover produciton costs). I picked up a small dark blue one, but I'd love one of the olive ones.

Anyone found them anywhere (I actually haven't seen one in the UK yet)?

the olive green one is almost impossible to find

the latest one is black on black

sold out (well the S and M, at least) at most boutiques in tokyo. wtf.

ah yes, I keep mistaking black for dark blue these days ;)

I belive there are one or two left in the london store. Funnily enough Harrods have just started stocking MM; and apart from like 2 in the MM store, they are the only palce with size 1 shirts. They have some lovely knits as well, that the MM store doesn't seem to have, apparently their budget isn't all that great.

i don't have much to contribute but lutz designed the print for the mm aids tee. here i lift off a page from the mm curated a magazine.

"t-shirt concept: maison martin margiela, text: sophie pay, print: lutz huelle, 54,343 copies sold.

slogan t-shirts mostly do not provoke dialogue. as this text can not be read once the t-shirt is worn, a conversation on aids is stimulated once others ask to know what is written."

the accompanying picture was the white on white aids tee. photography by elisabeth broekaert.

i admit that i started collecting the tee a bit late, only in year 2000 and i seem to have missed out on the old colorways. but this is a rundown of what i have. and maybe what i can sell off.

white on white (in m - the absolute favorite)

white on grass green (in s but shrank to midriff)

white on beige (in s and m)

white on purple (in s)

white on red (in m)

black on faded grey (in s)

black on orange (in m)

blue on black (in m)

baby blue on pale yellow (in s)

turqoise on dirty green (in m)

lighter turqoise on not so dirty green (in m)

salmon pink on faded blue (in s)

fluoro orange on greyish light blue (in s)

gold on black (in m - i think this was the most popular one commercially?)

im desperately wtb white on black and black on white. in s or m. i haven't checked if the latest black on black is already in singapore.

this is the color im looking for...the other day i purchased the orange one on sale for $39, but everytime i wear it, i feel like it was my daily jail uniform just with writing on it when i was locked up.
just checked the site that sells the orange/black aids tee. on the item description, its says made in Tunisia.

2250.jpg

the earlier runs were produced and distributed by miss deanna. and they were made in italy. only recently did they include martin margiela on the label. some pics that i googled out. i also noticed that the lettering of the print changed. they have removed the "-" in t shirt.

i personally prefered the earlier ones as the cotton is lightweight and softer. the newer ones had "cleaner" prints. i remembered the white on red having white paint smudged into parts of the tee (eg midchest) that i have people telling me that there is paint on my tee. :\

there was an aids tee exhibiton held at feb 13 - mar 4 2006 at le bon marché in paris. i did a few screen captures of the tees exhibited.

mmaidsexhibitiondo7.jpg

nice rundown of the tees. i think they also sold some of the tees at the exhibition if you refer to the pics with the mannequins in it. more pics can be seen at mmm's site under old news.

Guest jmatsu

do you ever find that certain color regardless of how you wash/dry them seem to shrink differently from others?

the olives and greens seemed to shrink the most...

most hated color to date: orange.

favorites: gold on black, black on black, white on red.

i find that their cuts seem to vary with each season. particularly the white on vibrant green. i have to agree with jmatsu about the olives and the greens shrinking the most.

i didn't quite like the black on orange too. but i think the colorway below is worse.

tee-shirt-martin-margiela_450.JPG

i dont know about you guys but orange on purple is just ???. which season was the silver on black? the paint on the gold on black is flaking away. btw, did anyone notice that they used different gold paint for the men's and the women's? or is it just the stock in singapore... the women's had a better quality paint imho. it didn't flake off as much as the men's.

didn't know they had different ones for men and women, always thought they were all the same.

i am not so sure about that myself too. i was comparing the one i had with the one some of my female friends owned. theirs had less of that plasticky resin stuff on the paint. it had a better shimmer too.

do the womens have different sizing? or are the tees all sized alike for both sexes? cos sometimes i am guilty of buying off from the women's store when the men's store ran out.

i believe the sizes and cut is the same for both sexes. The glossiness of the paint varies with the different colours; the more recent editions tend to come in a glossier paint, so unless the ones you are comparing are of the same colour, that should explain the difference.

I almost picked up one off yoox last month. How is the sizing on them? Is it a slim medium like 19.5" pit to pit or more of a standard medium like 20.5" pit to pit. Just curious if i'd be a medium or small. I'm generally a small-medium 19.25-19.75" pit to pit.

There are always a ton on ebay but i just assume they're fake as most all of them say "Item Location: Hong Kong" on them. With how many there are it's definitely weird. I'll just try to catch lv, browns and yoox sightings i guess unless someone knows if any of the ebay people are legit.

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/MARTIN+MARGIELA/tskay/3FD17CD7/rr/1/cod10/370617922G/areaid/35

here's one if anyone was interested

Thanks, larry bird. It's nice knowing that the mediums are slim fit. It's annoying being in between a medium and small. Even some other designer mediums still are more of a 20"pit to pit which is irritating. I'll probably try to pick one up on the cheap sometime.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What season is the light blue on white from?

Are the tees cut slim? How does M fit compared to say... AA and hare?

m is like an american smedium. aa seems a little snugger and longer (M). hare's recent m is prob smaller. i think. rep me!!