APC Ocean Wash (before/during/after pics)

blinddan

so i'm by the ocean for the first time in a year and a half, and probably for the last time for about 2-3 years, and i was wondering what your experience with the wash instructons from APC re: salt water wash. it basicially says to run into the ocean, swim around, then get out, and rub sand all over them, and repeat this a few times, then soak, and place in the sun to dry.

this seems too vague for me. my APCs have like 150 days of wear on them, that ireally don't want to throw away. i can see quite alot of visable wear, as i ibike n them and such, so i thnk they're ready. (plus they smell like DEATH! and have tons of stains)

so i figured ths is what i'd do. about 5-6 trips into the ocean wth sand rubbing inbetween, then, prepare a cold bucket of clean water with some detergent in it, then soak the jeans for about 4-6 hours, then i'd probably take them out, light wring in a towel, and go for a bikeride around outside (it's miami!) until they dry to reset the creases.

things i'm worried about:

1) will they smell awful? should i hardwash them inistead of the soak or get them dry cleaned? i just don't really have any desire to keep them smelling like the ocean.

2) will they turn greenish? does anyone have any pictures of their ocean washed APCs?

3) do i apply sand literally all over? or just to my upper thighs and honeycombs and ass and such? do you rub particularly hard?

thanks for your help again guys, maybe i'm being too careful about ths.

Don't worry about it. If you've been wearing your jeans hard/biking etc etc for 150 days straight, then what is a few jumps in the ocean going to do?

1-if you plan on soaking them with detergent afterwards, they won't stink

2-I've never done it myself, but I don't see how they would turn greenish, unless you're near a dirty dirty ocean....

3-I would guess that you'd rub sand all over, but this seems like one of those nostalgic marketing ploys. again, if you've worn them for 150 days and all those hours, rolling around in sand for a few minutes probably won't do much.

The change will be really subtle and mostly due to the washing away of loosened indigo by the water/detergent.

go ahead with your plan and then post some pics!

i'm gonna wear them for a few more days here while i get my hands on my brother's macrolens camera, so i'm gonna hook up the pictures and everything. the green question was because every pair of "salt-water washed" pre-wash denim i've ever seen have been green! thanks for the awesome reply though dudes!

what you describe sounds fine, but I dont see a need to go in and out 6 times, also I dont see a need for a 4 hour soak afterwards. One ocean dip, one sand rub, and 30 min or less tub soak should be fine.

ya do it. but instead of detergent, just do clean water at the end, and change the water half way through the soak. Just so you dont have a lingering ocean smell. Someone did this and let them dry with the ocean water (tg?) and said they had to wash them again after the ocean wash because of the horrific smell.

Make sure you get before and after pics. and tg even had an animated during-wash .gif

ya do it. but instead of detergent, just do clean water at the end, and change the water half way through the soak. Just so you dont have a lingering ocean smell. Someone did this and let them dry with the ocean water (tg?) and said they had to wash them again after the ocean wash because of the horrific smell.

Make sure you get before and after pics. and tg even had an animated during-wash .gif

i will definatly reward the gurus of superfuture with fantastic before, during and after pictures. get stoked guys, i'ma ride my bike for a week and a bit before doing it i think.

thanks for all the awesome replies, the smell was mostly my concern!

I think you might be referring to me. But for illustration's sake, I rinsed my Rescues in fresh water after soaking them in tropical waters and grinding sand into them. After leaving them to dry for a few hours, they reeked of a smell somewhat similar to (yet 10x worse) than wet dog.

• 4 weeks later...

hey everyone. this post is gonna be pretty large. a bit of preamble. the pictures are thumb links to larger images. it will be in backwards order, first set of denim pics are washed state, apc hipsters, size 27. then the process, soaking, swimming and rubbing sand, then slightly dry on a lawn chair, then the dry state. bear in mind the dry state pictures are taken in sunlight, so are drastically more worn in APPEARANCE. the indoors pictures are a true to form look, potentially even a bit darker.

phew, this is going to be way too long.

the process: so i had worn them since august 20th'ish (06), pretty much consistantly. i wear my stuff pretty hard, i get drunk and fall down alot, skateboard and other stupid things, biking, etc. i was close to the ocean, so i figured i'd go for it. these were washed january 1st, 2007. ok, so here goes nothing. I put the jeans on, ran into the ocean, swam around for 10 minutes (water's about 78 F in miami at the time), soaked, floated, swam, just jumped around, and then ran back out, rolled in pretty clean sand, then agitated it with my hands evenly across the entirety of the jeans (no, i did not cheat and focus on particular spots, although i'm sure you could). then i ran back in, and same for about 10 minutes. i did this about 5 times. with many crunches, while both sandy and not-sandy. after i finished and was satisfied, i thought it would be a good idea to rinse them in fresh water at a shower up from the beach, as to make sure the hardware wouldn't rust, and so i wouldn't have to soak out all the ocean qualities to them to get rid of the stench. (this worked, they don't smell at all, i haven't even febreezed them yet, and they did not rust.). then i cuffed 'em, and walked the beach for 30minutes to go home, then put them outside. i took pictures of them outside partially damp. light was fading, so i turned them inside out, and hung them on a railing that would get the sun at 7am (inside out because i didn't want sun discoloration). the next morning, i took the last set of pictures.

phew, what a long, and annoying story. here's the pics, hope you enjoy them. and if you don't, don't be a prick, just shut the fuck up and read something else. THANKS.

POST WASH PICS

th_IMG_3510.jpg

th_IMG_3509.jpg

th_IMG_3508.jpg

th_IMG_3507.jpg

th_IMG_3506.jpg

th_IMG_3505.jpg

th_IMG_3504.jpg

th_IMG_3503.jpg

th_IMG_3502.jpg

th_IMG_3501.jpg

How much did they shrink after all of that?

not all that much to be honest with you. when i bought them at the mercer street (nyc) store, they told me they wouldn't shrink back to the origional size. i bought a 27, they measured 29.5 pre wash dry, and about 28.7/8 dry after the wash, but they've already stretched back out to be about 29 and a half again.

so basically what i see out of this is that an ocean wash really doesnt make much of a difference and is more work for basically the same thing. Did you notice anything different than if you were to do a regular soak? Pictures are not always the best way to tell how a wash came out. In person is the best way.

A soak is a soak is a soak.

someone should do a cumshot soak. just wipe a lot of cum all over your denim like the sand on these jeans and soak it and see how the fade comes out.