shrinking first pair of raw denim..?

thatkidpercy

hi, first post although i've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks!

i hope someone can help me, i've tried searching and found plenty of useful information regarding shrinking new denim but nothing that quite answers the question i have..

i have just received a pair of lvc 1937's (34x36), and would like to shrink the length a bit (i'm 6'5 so a 34 inseam is about right), however i really don't want to shrink the waist too much as it fits pretty much how i like it at the moment and i'm scared that i may not be able to fit in them if i do.. i know the obvious answer would be to exchange for a 36x36 but like a fool i ripped off the tags in my excitement yesterday and wore them all day.. which i regret now.

i tend to sag and prefer my jeans looser than most of the fits i've seen people post on this board, and so maximum shrinkage isn't really my thing. the pictures below shows how they fit now, which is pretty close to ideal for me:

sidefit.jpgbackfit.jpg

what i was planning to do was soak them for a few hours in the tub in lukewarm water, but to also stick something (maybe some wood cut to size) in the waist to stop it from getting smaller. can somebody tell me if this is a stupid idea before i go ahead and ruin the most expensive jeans i've ever bought?

thank you!

to be on the safe side, as soon as your done with your hot soak, stick a hanger in the waist line. your piec of wood will probaly work also. when they are still damp, put them on and wear them for a little bit.

some have gone to other extremes as take a bath with them on. or wearing them from soak to dry. no matter what they will stretch after wear.

with the hot soak you should get 1-2 inches off the length.

A good way to keep the waist size the same and shrinking the inseam would be, while the jeans are soaking, stick a coat hanger into the top, and then hang it on the bathtub faucet. So the waist would stay dry while everything else is soaked.

thank you for the quick replies!

they are now in the tub soaking in warm water. i have put a hanger in the waist, but that is submerged aswell; i thought it'd be best to soak everything so that i don't get any nasty surprises when they are eventually washed!

when they are done and dried i'll post again with the results.. fingers crossed..

thanks again

worked well.. thanks for the help! i soaked in warm water for 3.5 hours, and then after spinning in the machine i wore them for a couple of hours (with tracksuit bottoms over the top!) while they dried..

photo evidence:

soak.jpg

i know if i was a proper baller these would be bottles of cristal, but this was all i had to hand :)

backfit2.jpg

lost about an inch and a half in length, and the waist is about the same.. perfect!

• 1 month later...
worked well.. thanks for the help! i soaked in warm water for 3.5 hours, and then after spinning in the machine i wore them for a couple of hours (with tracksuit bottoms over the top!) while they dried..

photo evidence:

soak.jpg

i know if i was a proper baller these would be bottles of cristal, but this was all i had to hand :)

backfit2.jpg

lost about an inch and a half in length, and the waist is about the same.. perfect!

Yes another sagger, non-skinny fit SuFu'er' surfaces haha... we must unite against those who enjoy a good ball-crunching!!

Nah but really, congrats on the success with your sectioned shrinkage and the fit looks tough from the pics...kill em out there.