Paul Smith Selvedge Red Ear Jeans

edmond

ooo...a few corrections...

First of all my post above about the newer models being butt ugly -- for some reason the pairs in the Paul Smith store here in SoHo are the ones I'm talking about. I was in there around the end of the holidays and I saw the butt ugly ones. Just weird all around.

The other day however, I stopped by BIG and they had a few pairs that were totally different from those I saw at the Paul Smith store. They're not great, (I still like my pair the best), but at least they were not hideous like the ones I saw at Paul Smith. THey had raw, one wash and washed pairs as well, yes raw pairs! check them out if you're interested

What makes these Red Ears so much more expensive than one's in the past? I heard these were $565!!

Are these "better" than the Oni Shoai or PBJ AI-001? What's the fit like on these?

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69

Well if you were to ask BIG, they'd give u all that stuff about the attention to detail and the handmade shit and stuff about an 80 year old guru...not sure if that's justifying that price tag. Old Paul Smith Red Ear raws were not that much. Washed/distressed ones were in that vicinity though ($500+)

• 6 months later...

these were my last denim purchase ( and my only 100% natural indigo jean) and they are stunning.

the colour is something else, very deep and with almost a green hue to it, the detailing (as talked about previously) is great too. the angled belt loops the hand stitched red circle, the cobrax uneven buttons, the subtle use of brown stitching, i could go on

everything about them is subtle and understated, they're no macho samurai thats for sure but a very authentic denim jean

they feel lightweight but jeans were lightweight compared to those we have now, the fit is very good too, i got a 30 raw (usually around a 31/32) and they are slim but have a nice gentle taper (similar fit to my dope & drakkar 1210s which are a 32).

beautiful jeans!

edmond, the ones in paul smith (shang/g4) are made in china. the ones from last season is better (rainbow selvedge) the new ones are not. they still have a few pairs left. am eyeing the 30x35.. but might prolly just hold off purchase til i go to hk soon.

• 3 months later...

Everything. The $500+ ones are made in Japan, natural indigo, blah blah blah. If you're at UCSB, blue bee has prewashed MIJ ones (or did a year ago) as well as normal MIC red ears that you can checkout.

They have them on their website too: http://www.bluebee.com/product_display.aspx?l=00190119066800000000&p=PAJ01273&pn=1&st=0#

• 2 months later...

Tell me about, they do look tempting. These look great, but I don't know much about the fit.

• 4 months later...

So I just picked up a pair of red ear "green and purple selvage" made in China jeans and I have one question: Are they STF or sanforized? I dont see any information on SF yet about it (searched already) and evidently this is an older model because I cannot find anything about it online at all...

hi blm14, I have exactly the same model too (MIC), mine is purple and green version :).

Its exactly the same rainbow one in BiG (MIC), but the selvage line is purple & green. I'd be interested to see MIJ (if still purchasable from the shop?) quality, because this particular MIC is very high quality...and well manufactuered...

e.g., I'd give my current APC NS and Rescue 70% and this MIC 90% for the quality/stiches/strings/etc.

I bought this jean from the sufu member recently, they are 31w and 32l.

I was worried about the shrinkage, too. But since I couldnt find any info, I've just hot-soaked it for about 2-3hours, dried it using a towel, only a little bleed.

I wore it whole time while damped, walked around little, etc. I'd say the waist in fact stretched a bit (from the unwashed waist size). They are still very very 'dark' and rigid after the soak..

I have to say, they won't shrink much, e.g., if you can wear them raw (fitted), then u can also wear them after the hotsoak, etc.

Im now worrying about stretching the inseam.. since Im 5.9ft (179cm), the inseam is a bit short... no cuffing... I've tried to stretch each leg out, I think they are 'do-able'. (so far about 1inch streched?.. heh..)

Let me know how you go!

I just recently found out about Paul Smith and got a pair of stylin boots last week. I dont like some of his styles but those Paul Smith x BIGs look nice, very close to the measurements I was eyeing for my next pair.... a bit looser without the cuffs falling over the shoes. Damn I wish I was still in nyc

Some fade pics of an old pair of red ears. These were bought 4 or so years ago from the sale shop have have been work sparingly. Still got a raw pair hidden away. The denim is a little on the light side (13.5 oz perhaps) but the colour is stunning. Redcast with a very deep dye and some nice detailing. Quite a loose fit but a lovely pair!!

16lfipl.jpg

iemgjp.jpg

• 5 years later...