Apple iPhone

artificialsky

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. This is the fucking mobile phone market. You guys are blinded by the raping these telco companies make with 2 year commitments and upfront "deals". You really think buying an alternative phone for half price is going to change your $80/mo + plan for 24 months? At the end of the day, you're paying around $1600 for the duration of your contract (at minimum), even with a the cheapest voice/data plan available.

The Nokia N95 is $750 retail. Phones have always been fucking expensive--especially bleeding edge technology. StarTAC, anyone? Motorola RAZR?

rumor or truth?

im seriously considering purchasing one of these but i really dont want to wait in line. not only are you spending 500 dollars but you are wasting time. i need an ipod video for school but dont have one. add 200 dollars and i get a spiffy iphone. this camping out bullshit is ridiculous though. fuck hypebeast and fuck iphone campers.

It hasn't been stated by Apple, so it's a rumor--but bet your ass they are working on the 2nd gen already. Mobile phones have a bigger turnover rating for hardware upgrades, so Apple can't fuck around with letting the iPhone sit to become obsolete. Thus is the pace of the mobile phone market.

are you going to be picking one up sidney?

I'm moving out of the country in a year or so... still mulling over commitments. If they opened up for international services, I'd consider it. I got an Apple hookup who's always got my back... but it's a bit beyond my grasp right now to utilize a mobile phone like that right now.

everyone and their mother please buy one...I bought a few shares of apple 2 weeks ago and it needs to go uppppppppppp

It'll go up, don't worry. Just save your marbles to buy more. They're making an estimated 50% gross profit margin on each product... maybe 53% on the $599 model. Along with partial profits from the plans/subscriptions, Leopard coming out in October Apple will be floating up toward $140-150 by/around the turn of the year. Christ, they've split stock 3x in the past two years or so already.

The damn thing is definatly cool as all hell. the only thing that eats away at me is the non removable battery, which really isn't such a bad thing. I just can't waste my time sitting in line for something, that and Im pretty sure the 2nd gen will improve dramatically. They'll fix all the things that they missed with this one.

in the end I'm just jealous i'm not going to be getting one.:mad:

here an interesting read for you guys interested in getting one. read this Often-Asked-iPod Questions first.

Here's 11 more reasons not to get one,at least not yet.Some important points. As written on Zdnet today.

I know that some of you are undecided about whether you will order an iPhone. In this post, I will state 11 reasons why you shouldn’t buy one. You may already have identified the high price, ($499-$599) as a good reason against doing so. Or, you may be on another carrier’s plan and don’t want to pay the um, substantial penalty for early withdrawal just to sign a two-year with iPhone’s exclusive carrier AT&T Wireless.

But after riffing through New York Times’ tech reviewer David Pogue’s terrific Often Asked iPhone Questions piece this morning, I’ve identified 11 more reasons you shouldn’t buy an iPhone.

Ready for a dose of tech-flavored conscience?

1. While iPhone will work with any SIM card from exclusive iPhone carrier AT&T Wireless No other carrier’s SIM phone will work with iPhone.
  2. If you are wearing gloves, the iPhone’s virtual keypad won’t work. That’s a concern for wintertime phone calls in cold areas.
  3. No memos.
  4. No voice dialing.
  5. No voice recording.
  6. No games.
  7. No capacity for video output to a tv (as iPod has).
  8. No capacity for over-the-air calendar appointments.
  9. No capacity for over-the-air software updates.
  10. No IM. Gotta use text messaging.
  11. No flash or zoom in the camera.

The damn thing is definatly cool as all hell. the only thing that eats away at me is the non removable battery, which really isn't such a bad thing. I just can't waste my time sitting in line for something, that and Im pretty sure the 2nd gen will improve dramatically. They'll fix all the things that they missed with this one.

in the end I'm just jealous I'm not going to be getting one.:mad:

Read the Wall Street Journal review of the battery. Lasts longer than the box stated "8 hours of talk time." And I mean when's the last time you actually purchased a new battery on a cell phone? Or on anything for that matter?

I never turn my cell phone off, ever. It takes a lot of use form me and the battery diminishes quickly to the point to where I have to charge it every night. This thing does twice as much as my cell does now and I just cant possibly see the battery lasting relativly long. And who exactly covers the battery and overall phone, AT&T or apple care? I mean peoplae are going to drop it, I'm just wondering whos going to cover it?

from what i read from different sites. applecare will take care of iphone insurance,but i what to know you can bring a busted iphone to genius bar at apple store to get fixed or replaced. or ship it out and wait like 2-3 weeks to get fixed.if so,then what the heck are people going to use in the mean time while its getting fixed?

I never turn my cell phone off, ever. It takes a lot of use form me and the battery diminishes quickly to the point to where I have to charge it every night. This thing does twice as much as my cell does now and I just cant possibly see the battery lasting relativly long. And who exactly covers the battery and overall phone, AT&T or apple care? I mean peoplae are going to drop it, I'm just wondering whos going to cover it?

Ready for a dose of tech-flavored conscience?

1. While iPhone will work with any SIM card from exclusive iPhone carrier AT&T Wireless No other carrier’s SIM phone will work with iPhone.
  2. If you are wearing gloves, the iPhone’s virtual keypad won’t work. That’s a concern for wintertime phone calls in cold areas.
  3. No memos.
  4. No voice dialing.
  5. No voice recording.
  6. No games.
  7. No capacity for video output to a tv (as iPod has).
  8. No capacity for over-the-air calendar appointments.
  9. No capacity for over-the-air software updates.
  10. No IM. Gotta use text messaging.
  11. No flash or zoom in the camera.

Good list cuddlysheep. The note about the gloves is a very crucial point--maybe Apple will slang special touch-screen sensitive iPhone gloves in the near future? ;)

For the latter half (minus the flash/zoom quip), are these things expected for other phones? I feel as though the comparisons are a bit uneven--I'm not aware of many people who need to view their phone content on a TV (although it's understandable since it's a media player).

As for over-the-air updates, you get your updates when you charge your phone via USB through iTunes. What's the gripe about over-the-air when it can update when you charge it anyway?

As for the software end, note how Apple is trickling all the videos and running the hype machine on cruise control. There's still an empty bar of applications yet to be filled. Anyone doubting that Apple is going to implement a lot of software updates and new applications that they haven't released information on? They've already released a lot of goodies in the past few days, I can't see why they wouldn't have more surprises up their sleeve.

One more thing, not sure if it was mentioned, but it seems like there's no MMS capability. I've never used MMS, but I can see how some people could be annoyed by it. Also no custom ringtones according to Pogue, which will definitely annoy many people.

But whatever, after seeing the guided tour on the Apple website and Pogue's review, I have no doubt it will be a hit... just hoping it will come to Canada soon enough. :(

As for the software end, note how Apple is trickling all the videos and running the hype machine on cruise control. There's still an empty bar of applications yet to be filled. Anyone doubting that Apple is going to implement a lot of software updates and new applications that they haven't released information on? They've already released a lot of goodies in the past few days, I can't see why they wouldn't have more surprises up their sleeve.

From what I've heard they'll be offering free updates with new applications, so a lot of stuff that's missing right now could be added later on. We'll see.

Also, despite the lamentation of the developers about no SDK being offered, JS and AJAX are pretty powerful in what they can do and large-scaled applications can be created using them. There's a lot of useful Widgets created by users, I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be a lot of custom iPhone apps.

One more thing, not sure if it was mentioned, but it seems like there's no MMS capability. I've never used MMS, but I can see how some people could be annoyed by it. Also no custom ringtones according to Pogue, which will definitely annoy many people.

Already confirmed reports from screenshots of iTunes 7.3... there's an extra tab... "ringtones". Rumored at $0.99 to convert a song to a ringtone, most likely without any DRM limitations. Hurrah!

Already confirmed reports from screenshots of iTunes 7.3... there's an extra tab... "ringtones". Rumored at $0.99 to convert a song to a ringtone, most likely without any DRM limitations. Hurrah!

Well, I was talking about just using your existing songs as ring tones, which is the normal practice with other cellphones.

While we're at the Apple Store topic... just read on TUAW that all employees (part-time and full-time) of one year or longer will be getting the 8GB model free. That's pretty nice.

Yeah regardless of faults, I would have one of these in a heartbeat if it were free!

I have ties to Apple, but I'm no longer employed by them.

The whole 'everyone gets a free iPhone' thing is just a testament to how much Apple has invested into this product to launch them into larger market shares. With 15,000 some odd employees around the country, you've got every worker familiarized and onto the product itself, giving the customer service and passion a boost--everyone who's helping you would actually know what the fuck they're talking about. And, it's free advertising every time they pull out an iPhone at dinner, at a party, while taking a shit, where ever.

Steve is really trying to take over the world.

Tiranis, yeah I meant you can use your songs in iTunes to convert to ringtones... they may charge a fee though. (sorry for confusion)

iChat is already available as a Safari webkit app, too... someone else made it though. It may be taxing on the iPhone with constant up/down stream of data.