Anyone ever work in The GAP design dept?

dagsolo

I want to hear from anyone that's worked at The GAP in their creative/ design dept. or in other corporate areas of The GAP. I may have an opportunity to work there full time and I'm looking for a little insight as to how they operate, how they treat their employees...

you know...the inside stuff they don't tell you on the interview.

Any insight is most appreciated.

Thanks.

I did some computer work in their New York office. Can't really tell you much since it wasn't the creative dep. but it didn't seem like sweatshop conditions.

Anyway I say take the job, it will make you a lot of contacts in the industry and in the city it's always easy to find another gig.

They don't call it "Old Slavery" for Nothin' (I know if you interview(ed) in SF, it's an Old Navy position). I know MANY people in the design department @ Gap/Old Navy, and have heard a couple of things:

BIG egos with the higher ups. Can cause some frustration if you are a senior designer or below...

Everyone who I know that works there works ALOT. Over 50 hours a week.

A few people that I know that work there say it's a really fun place to work.

Qutie a few people moved over to Gap from Levi's when they moved back out to SF. A LOT of them came back after a year or less.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot speak for corporate gap, but i am friends with 3 different previous retail store managers, all of whom hated their jobs. Overworked, underpaid, etc. But I can't say that that reflects any way on the job you are looking at, thats just all I know about working for the gap.

• 3 weeks later...