Jo'ann's Fabric carrying selvage denim?

fndmybetterhalf

so i took a little trip to Joann's fabric earlier today to see if they even carried legitimate denim. So as soon as i etnered, i see a small rack of denim so i go and look and not surprisingly its all thin ass ugly blue crap denim. so out of curiosity i ask one of the ladies working ther eand she directs to this tiny corner of denim and idk if im crazy or something but they had like 2-3 rolls of indigo dyed and black denim that felt pretty heavy (over 10oz's atleast) and the edge looked as if it was selvage. now im not some selvage denim expert so i may be wrong but i compared the texture of the denim to my jeans (i was wearing APC new standards) and they feel pretty similar. of course the people that worked there had no idea what iw as talking about, "whats selvage?" when i asked if they were raw dry denim...one of them answered "i dont know they feel pretty rough to me but it sure isnt wet" but yeah...at 4.00 per yard, i bought 10 yards of the black denim and now im gonna play around with it and see wat i can do. But here are a couple pictures, take a look and let me know if i'm wrong abotu the selvage part. and tell me if im stupid for not knowing that they had selvage denim because im quite surprised by this.

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

most all fabric on bolts has selfedge.... the term selfedge in relation to jeans just means that all portions of the jeans are made with the selfedge part. so the denim for those jeans is made on a narrow loom so that that is possible.

This.

A selvedge is just the part on the right and left sides of the length of fabric that was held on either side of the loom as the shuttle went back and forth laying down threads. It is just a "self edge" that doesn't require any additional seam finishing (rolled edge, bound edge, serged edge, etc.) to keep from unraveling.

Asking for selvedge denim at a mass-market fabric store will just get you blank stares because all woven fabric should have exactly two selvedges on each end of the roll or bolt (or both will be on one end if the fabric is folded before being put on the bolt). The "selvedge" fabric in relation to jeans is typically much narrower than the standard fabric bolt lengths because in order to use those selvedge ends in the garment construction would result in a great deal of waste in the middle of the fabric otherwise.

Also, I don't think anybody spells "selvedge" the same. Don't worry about it. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

im not an expert.. so this is just based on an educated guess :P

dont think the denim has to b made on a narrow loom to have selvedge, notice that only 1 side of each leg has selvege and the the other side is non -selveged, which means the denim only would need to have selvege on at 1 side for the tailor to make a selveged jeans.

That's because they cut the the denim to make the leg of the jean. People in this thread saying that selvage denim is made at around 30-36" in width, so unless your jeans have a leg opening of that size, you're not going to have selvage on both sides of your jean leg.

Unless they were to cut two sides up and sew them together, but that'd look messy.

but definitely "selvedge" denim can be made on wide jet-looms as well. the lee "half-selvedge" is one example of finished denim that has stray ends.

and yes, when you make patterns for the leg you have to cut the denim up...they do however align the outseam with the selvedge of the roll of denim. on narrow looms you can only make two patterns from one breadth of denim i believe.

yeah ahha i have alot of friends that work and are close friends with guys at Sling and Stones. I've been going there off and on to try on jeans...take some friends to try on jeans...get some tips from ILoveSpaz...steal some ideas from ILoveSpaz...haha jk. theyre all verrrryyyyy nice guys, love em to death