Any watch enthusiasts out there?

Analyst

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice picture, Serge. :) I'm gonna copy that trend ;)

I would definitely go with the Audemars Piguet (If that indeed is a abbreviation of AP) as they make fantastic, reliable watches. If you want quality beyond go with a Tourbillion from pretty much any company, of course recommending Breguet.

My personal favorite is Eberhard Chrono4 watch, fantastic watch to a fantastic price, really. Hard to get around if youre down with the cashflow and up with quality.

ready to decieve, recieve, overpower / loving someone is to believe, to relieve, slow shower/she is bathing/ love her needs her like fur/

Given the two options you have mentioned, I personally would stay away from Panerai, style but not much substance (they are still using a base Unitas movement that is polished etc.). The premium in Panerais are ridiculous for what you are paying.

The AP rubberclad (and AP offshores in general) are better value for money no doubt. There has been much discusssion on the premium that they command (prices have risen almost 25% in two years) and AP Offshores are really hot (there is a Jay-z AP coming out sometime this year as well-probably an AP NY boutique exclusive though) and they've just announced at Basel 2005 that they will be releasing AP Offshore Polaris this year.

I suggest you check out the following two forums as they are really helpful with info etc.:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/125468

(the Purists website: a great reference centre for those seriouslyy interested in watches, albeit high-end but also there is general discussion forum with great insight...I've met a number of people from the forum and they are genuine and very helpful....)

The Big Watch forum (also really nice and helpful people here:)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/246576

(if you like big watches this is the site)

But if you are still minded to get a Panerai, then the ultimate resource forum would be Paneristi:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391

(but be aware some of the people here are FANATICAL about Panerai...thred carefully with criticisms)

Also the nemesis of Panerai is ANONIMO, a newish company sset-up (apparently) in thee original Paneerai Florence factory and made using the original Panerai equipment and staff....there is a forum as well...very nice people here too:

http://www.watchuseek.com/anonimoforum/

However, I believe that the watch of the year is going to be Jaeger Le Couture's Extreme Chronograph...I posted some info here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=246576&messageid=1110434718

Hope this is helpful.....let me know if you need some more help

P.S. My views on Panerai are strictly my own based on my limited horological knowledge...they are nice watches but without spectacular movements (except for the 8 Days Panerai which has a JLC movement)...in my view simply not value for money....however, I hear that they are moving towards developing an in-house movement but nothing has been revealed just yet...

icon_smile_big.gif

Given the two options you have mentioned, I personally would stay away from Panerai, style but not much substance (they are still using a base Unitas movement that is polished etc.). The premium in Panerais are ridiculous for what you are paying.

The AP rubberclad (and AP offshores in general) are better value for money no doubt. There has been much discusssion on the premium that they command (prices have risen almost 25% in two years) and AP Offshores are really hot (there is a Jay-z AP coming out sometime this year as well-probably an AP NY boutique exclusive though) and they've just announced at Basel 2005 that they will be releasing AP Offshore Polaris this year.

I suggest you check out the following two forums as they are really helpful with info etc.:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/125468

(the Purists website: a great reference centre for those seriouslyy interested in watches, albeit high-end but also there is general discussion forum with great insight...I've met a number of people from the forum and they are genuine and very helpful....)

The Big Watch forum (also really nice and helpful people here:)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/246576

(if you like big watches this is the site)

But if you are still minded to get a Panerai, then the ultimate resource forum would be Paneristi:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391

(but be aware some of the people here are FANATICAL about Panerai...thred carefully with criticisms)

Also the nemesis of Panerai is ANONIMO, a newish company sset-up (apparently) in thee original Paneerai Florence factory and made using the original Panerai equipment and staff....there is a forum as well...very nice people here too:

http://www.watchuseek.com/anonimoforum/

However, I believe that the watch of the year is going to be Jaeger Le Couture's Extreme Chronograph...I posted some info here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=246576&messageid=1110434718

Hope this is helpful.....let me know if you need some more help

P.S. My views on Panerai are strictly my own based on my limited horological knowledge...they are nice watches but without spectacular movements (except for the 8 Days Panerai which has a JLC movement)...in my view simply not value for money....however, I hear that they are moving towards developing an in-house movement but nothing has been revealed just yet...

icon_smile_big.gif

The AP would be amazing, but with that watch you start getting into the five figure range (US$). I think the Royal Oak OFfshore would be the ultimate sport watch, but it looks like Panerai is going to be the more practical choice.

I think tourbillons, minute repeaters, perpetual calendars will become more attractive as I get older. Right now I want a great t-shirt and jeans watch.

When you're gonna spend 8 grand on some watch why the hell not spend it on something that will last? i'm not saying chanel is a bad watch or n'thing, but it won't last - it is probably just a chinese body with switzerland components.

Why not go for something that you will be able to keep forever, give on to your children - not just a fashion flash. Buy a elegant watch to suit all things - a dinner with the family, a night on the town or just relaxing with your girlfriend. Watches are today a status symbol but remember: even though a real rolex is what everybody loves, it is still a horrible watch compared to others of the same price range. Watches aren't like fashion, they live in a different time cell - buy something eternal, not flashy chanel watches.

Please, as a son of watchmaker you'll regret it :)

Denim Fanatismé.

luxury watches and premium denim... don't get me started! icon_smile_blackeye.gif

I've had the Panerai Luminor Marina for 5 years. It is my favourite. It is handwind - so you have to wind it every morning - that freaks some people out.

The submersible is a bit bigger/thicker. If you've got a big wrist... then it's okay.

The submersible doesn't cut it for me cause it's actually driven by the automatic ETA movement which is much smaller than the actual watch. The larger handwind pocket watch movement is the traditional Panerai style (although an the original Rolex PW movement is best - but not affordable for me).

The offshore is an amazing watch. It is enormous. Have you tried it on? it is beyond my size. ... beyond my budget too.

Other big watches:

IWC

Portugeiser line: "Rattrapante chronograph" is the most elegant large watch (not so sporty though). The new "Portugeisers" are great too.

"Aquatimers" are a fantastic sports watch. The water resistance is over the top. The nitrogen hardened titanium is bulletproof.

Pilot watches... the "big pilot" the "doppel chronograph"... not as much water resistance than your choices, but they're great watches.

The new "Ingeniuer" (just announced) looks good.

Jaeger-LeCoultre "Master Compressor" line.

Don't get a tourbillon... it doesn't belong in a sports watch.

if your budget is limited, don't get a replica (it's like a fake LV bag, and you will feel like a fool on the street).

... instead, maybe look at Omega. They have some sports models coming out with the George Daniel's coaxial escapement. This should to give you greater accuracy and longer times between service.

... if you're really concerned about accuracy... then get quartz.

The top tier brands Patek/Lange/AP have sports watches... nothing quite like the Offshore though.

Lange dataograph.

Patek Nautilus.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms isn't bad if you don't mind the huge bezel. Also look at their flyback.

Final tips:

don't buy without trying on and then thinking for a few days. it's a lot of money, so think about it, and do comparisons.

don't buy without a decent discount (less discount is likely on rolex/panerai/patek).

_trinket

Quote:

When you're gonna spend 8 grand on some watch why the hell not spend it on something that will last? i'm not saying chanel is a bad watch or n'thing, but it won't last - it is probably just a chinese body with switzerland components.

Why not go for something that you will be able to keep forever, give on to your children - not just a fashion flash. Buy a elegant watch to suit all things - a dinner with the family, a night on the town or just relaxing with your girlfriend. Watches are today a status symbol but remember: even though a real rolex is what everybody loves, it is still a horrible watch compared to others of the same price range. Watches aren't like fashion, they live in a different time cell - buy something eternal, not flashy chanel watches.

Please, as a son of watchmaker you'll regret it :)

--- Original message by skecr8r on Apr 13, 2005 01:03 PM

I totally agree with you--I understand there is a huge difference b/t watch makers and fashion companies that make watches, and I have respect for both. I've just never really seen a white watch that looked so dope.

my ex-boss' father designed that chanel watch (J12).

anyways, this thread reminds me of the patek ad - showing that father and son - something like "start your own tradition"...

i'm lame. i still want a daytona.

strange highs and strange lows

Trinket, thanks for the reply. I tried on the Royal Oak Offshore Rubberclad in Hong Kong and have been obsessed over it ever since. The issue of course is the price tag. I currently wear an Rolex Explorer II and an IWC Pilot Fliegerchrono on strap and wanted a new non-rolex sport watch. I think most Panerais use pretty basic ETA movements as foundations (reissued 1950 uses rolex movement) and then modify them. THe submersible uses the same movement as my IWC Fliegerchrono (ETA Valjoux 7750, I think) as the base since there's a second hand at the nine o'clock position and a date at the three o'clock position.

Since the AP is probably impractical at this movement, the Submersible (Pam 25 or 199) seems to be the best option. I just can't help but wonder if Panerais are just a fad right now. Any thoughts about this? A few months ago, I went to Bangkok with the hopes of buying the watch at a cheaper price but they were all sold out and you needed to get on a wait list for the watch. Seems like Panerai and ROlex and the only watches where you have to pay close to full retail price compared to large discounts with other watch brands (IWC, Jaeger, etc.)

Other watches....

I love the new Portuguese with the 7 day proprietary movement. The new IWC Ingenieur looks appealing especially the AMG addition. It's oversized too at 42mm.

Saw the Jaeger Master Compressors in Bangkok and really liked the World Time watch, but it seems still a little dressy.

Kinda generic but I do like the green Rolex Submariner.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Trinket, thanks for the reply. I tried on the Royal Oak Offshore Rubberclad in Hong Kong and have been obsessed over it ever since. The issue of course is the price tag. I currently wear an Rolex Explorer II and an IWC Pilot Fliegerchrono on strap and wanted a new non-rolex sport watch. I think most Panerais use pretty basic ETA movements as foundations (reissued 1950 uses rolex movement) and then modify them. THe submersible uses the same movement as my IWC Fliegerchrono (ETA Valjoux 7750, I think) as the base since there's a second hand at the nine o'clock position and a date at the three o'clock position.

Since the AP is probably impractical at this movement, the Submersible (Pam 25 or 199) seems to be the best option. I just can't help but wonder if Panerais are just a fad right now. Any thoughts about this? A few months ago, I went to Bangkok with the hopes of buying the watch at a cheaper price but they were all sold out and you needed to get on a wait list for the watch. Seems like Panerai and ROlex and the only watches where you have to pay close to full retail price compared to large discounts with other watch brands (IWC, Jaeger, etc.)

Other watches....

I love the new Portuguese with the 7 day proprietary movement. The new IWC Ingenieur looks appealing especially the AMG addition. It's oversized too at 42mm.

Saw the Jaeger Master Compressors in Bangkok and really liked the World Time watch, but it seems still a little dressy.

Kinda generic but I do like the green Rolex Submariner.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

I was looking for a watch last year, and looked at some of the ones you guys mention, specifically the IWC. I think I'll have to wait a few more years before I can get one of these watches. I bought the Hamilton Khaki Automatic and have been very happy with it. Sapphire crystal, automatic swiss movement (25 jewels), glass back, stainless steel band, .2s second hand (looks like smooth continuous movement at first glance). I know Hamilton got bought by the Swatch group, and Swatch now makes the movement for Hamilton, but for 300$ this watch has done me well, I've worn it every day for the past year and the crystal has yet to show any scratches, and the metal has proven very scratch resistant as well. I really recommend it for simple watches in this price range..

http://www.mwp.com/forums/read.php4?f=9&i=362&t=362

I think this is legit, also

http://www.watch-replica.net/

There is some forum where they discuss this, I'm gonna find the link and update the post, its at home.

WITHOUT EDIT:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showforum=2

Register, there is one or two guys who make awesome, 100% genuine looking replica watches for 100-300$ a pair. They are excellent. It is a good site with good service and nice discussion.

Denim Fanatismé.

Analyst, I think you might find 3 automatic watches difficult to manage - unless you have a watch winder. I cut back to 2 watches because I felt bad if one of them stopped... and now I only wear the Panerai. Gotta sell my Mark15.

You've got a good idea of the market already.

The Offshore is too expensive (it would be difficult to walk with so much bling on your wrist). That leaves the Submersible... and any others?

I don't think Panerai is a fad... they've been popular for 6+ years. They kindof started the big watch trend (with IWC), and now everyone is following. Watch trends aren't like clothing... they can't change within a year... many millions of dollars is invested in designs, marketing, and machinery.

The premium price on the Green Sub doesn't make sense... it would be for investment only.

Are you thinking of the bracelet version?

1058865807445_foto_index.jpg

skecr8r: Is there such thing as a legit replica? It sounds wrong.

_trinket

casio futurist illuminators or casio film-watches are nice , too. look kind of the 80ies digital ones. really cool & stylish. and you can get them cheap..

and furhermore i think ,once a watch gets copied billions of times (rolex, and now also panerai) , everybody can afford buying one. and the exclusivity of owning one of those originals is gone.

at least when you see every 2nd guy on the street with a replica, i would ask myself whats the sense in paying so much money? whats the difference?

ok here you have a really valuable watch, which you can pass on to your grandchildren..but rather i would buy them a 5000 $ car. thats more of a value for them, i think..

and the replica shows the time , too. looks good, too (cause it looks the same). and if you know how to dress accordingly , no one will doubt that you wear an original.

a really good friend of mine is the top scorer in german socer league. he plays for the german national team. he earns 2.2 million euros salary (maybe another 2 from commercials) a year. he switched to wearing an original panerai and a rolex , 2 months ago. since then he only was wearing replicas.

he could have afford it a long time ago, but he thought: why should i? everybody thinks: i am a huge soccer-star, he must have an authentic for sure.

Yeah, I have an Underwood winder but would probably need another one with three automatics. Maybe keeping the number of automatics to two at a time is not a bad idea :)

Hey, how much do you want for the Mark XV (on strap right, classic pilot)? I'm been wanting that watch for a while.

Yeah, I'm thinking of Panerai Submersible but on strap. I actually like the OEM rubberstrap with it and I would probably pick up a couple of leathers to go with it.

Offshore would be a reach but I can dream right?

Juxtaposed...if you have to ask, you won't understand.

Quote:

Analyst, I think you might find 3 automatic watches difficult to manage - unless you have a watch winder. I cut back to 2 watches because I felt bad if one of them stopped... and now I only wear the Panerai. Gotta sell my Mark15.

You've got a good idea of the market already.

The Offshore is too expensive (it would be difficult to walk with so much bling on your wrist). That leaves the Submersible... and any others?

I don't think Panerai is a fad... they've been popular for 6+ years. They kindof started the big watch trend (with IWC), and now everyone is following. Watch trends aren't like clothing... they can't change within a year... many millions of dollars is invested in designs, marketing, and machinery.

The premium price on the Green Sub doesn't make sense... it would be for investment only.

Are you thinking of the bracelet version?

1058865807445_foto_index.jpg

skecr8r: Is there such thing as a legit replica? It sounds wrong.

--- Original message by trinket on Apr 14, 2005 04:50 AM

Well, legit in a way they will be sending you the pair instead of taking your 200. :)

Denim Fanatismé.

img1059114603.jpeg

• 4 months later...