how a pea coat should fit

whorishconsumer

here's another whining vagina question.

i got a pea coat of sorts a couple weeks ago and had to size up for arm length, as i have longass arms. therefore, the coat's not as snug as i guess i would prefer, although it does allow better for layering and arm movement - you know, that practical stuff. it's a Modern Amusement, so it's a bit lengthier than a pea and fitted, so that while it's maybe not as snug as i'd prefer, it's nothing ridiculous. my main gripe is that i feel the neckline is a little to open/large. it doesn't look abnormally large, and works perfectly with a scarf, but in the event that lets say i'm wearing a tee and v-neck sweater underneath, you can see the V of the sweater. i feel exposed. plus its hard to pop my collar, which is rather necessary if i want to remain fly.

anyhow, this shit sound too large? can i get it tailored without killin' the arm length?

I want to get mine tailored too but he said it would cost $60.

I think I'll just get a new one. any recommendations?

a run-of the mill navy pea coat will run you about 100 at least, and those are hardly fitted, unless your small and have short arms.

the nicer ones start heading into 200 plus category. So you might want to check with another tailor and maybe see how much alteration they actually have to do.

Like the picture on the right? Don't you just button up the top button beneath the collar with the hole in the lapel?

i guess i have a slot in the lapel that my friend thinks is just for decor. there's not buttons up there. the coat came with one extra button, but it would be kinda unbalanced if i got it sewed on.

although, on further inspection it would seem that to raise the buttons any higher with conflict with the evenness of the lapels, not to mention raise the tension on the buttons.

my coat needs some kind of facelift.

raise the buttons? i'm not sure what you mean.

i just move it more to the left or right, depending on whether i want it tighter or looser. this doesn't effect the evenness of the collar. only thing you have to consider is the side pockets. moving it too far would make the pockets look uneven

I was watching some Japanese TV a long time ago and I saw Kimura Takuya wearing some incredible peacoat that had a leather collar band under the collar to keep it shapely and rigid. Peacoats like that usually have a semicircular piece under there and it looked pretty nice popped or unpopped, has stayed in my mind as that is something I might add to a peacoat if I were to ever wear another.

I was watching some Japanese TV a long time ago and I saw Kimura Takuya wearing some incredible peacoat that had a leather collar band under the collar to keep it shapely and rigid. Peacoats like that usually have a semicircular piece under there and it looked pretty nice popped or unpopped, has stayed in my mind as that is something I might add to a peacoat if I were to ever wear another.

so like a leather band was sewed to the collar?

Do you have a picture of your peacoat was it really expensive? Maybe you should have bought a smaller size?

i don't have a digital camera so it's somewhat difficult to upload.

00010f.jpg

this is pretty similar, although mine's slightly less fitted, since i had to size up for arm length. the one a size down was pretty snug and a little constrictive in the arm movement.

short of cutting a slit in the other lapel and having the one extra button i have swen underneath the collar, might have to suck it up and deal and maybe get another pea coat for when i want to button up.

yamaarac-img600x450-1136224759k1.jpg

so here's a question. how's one get the collar to stay up like that?

First thing... where the hell is that peacoat from, cause its perfect.

Second... if people are looking for a peacoat with leather under the collar, Cole Hahn has a pretty nice one out and they also cover all the button holes with leather which i think is a nice look. Not very fitted though.

Second... if people are looking for a peacoat with leather under the collar, Cole Hahn has a pretty nice one out and they also cover all the button holes with leather which i think is a nice look. Not very fitted though.

It was posted on one of the forums.

Original forum: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=7259&highlight=pea+coats

The brand is Hare.

• 1 year later...

I guess as a rule, if the coat has particularly broad or pronounced shoulders, which may only be a problem for me, I generally wear collared shirts underneath it. The coat I was talking about initially when I posted this thread is such a coat. With my Spiewak Dugan pea coat I have less qualms about wearing tees underneath.

As for wearing blazers, I find that if there's any padding in the shoulders of the jacket it makes it awkward to wear under a pea coat, a pea coat being already kind of bulky.