New to (purchasing) raw. Willing to spend up to 300.

rainmaker

Where would you go, if you were starting out today with your first pair of raws? I want a pair to use and abuse for the next long while-- I'm a student, so money is tight, but I'm willing to shell out up to 300 if necessary, because it'll become my second skin and I'm fine with spending that amount if the quality is there.

From reading around SF, I think the frontrunners are:

SSDS

Samurais... probably S5000VX

Canes

What should sway me towards one or the other? The only two factors that I think I can really add are that the SSDS is probably the only pair I should have the chance to try on a retailer, and second that from athletics, I have a bigger seat and thighs-- it seems that the consensus is that the S5000VX fits quite slim throughout the thighs.

Thanks for helping out guys. I apologize in advance if something like this should be in the quick questions sticky.

i wouldn't write off studio d'artisans sd-103. they fade really, really nicely and have great color depth!

. . . but i think your on the right track with the S5000VX bc they have a slightly looser leg and slightly higher rise, but from the way you described your build they will probably fit pretty snug on you. i have the SSDS and they have a 9 inch hem opening, while the samurai's have a 9.25 opening -- so the samurais will probably be just SLIGHTYLY looser than the SSDS. if it helps, my SSDS were really tight on my quads when i first got them, so they would probably be unbearable on you if you got them.

i would search the samurai threads when you have the time to see which size you should buy.

the sammies depend on the waist size I think, on some they look quite tight in the legs but they seem a bit looser on bigger guys. I wouldn't classify them as thight though. compare measurements from threads and/or rakuten stores to see whats the best fit for you.

i'm not sure which ssds you're referring to--the streaky selvage model or the japanese selvage model--but if it's the streaky one, I would reccomend against it. To me, the construction was only decent (for example, I felt like I could rip the back pockets off) and the denim was very thin in places, so much so that natural light would easily penetrate it. compared to my japanese jeans the nudies just didn't cut it; i sold them. so, my vote is for the canes or the samurais; you'll get much higher quality denim and construction imo for not much of a price increase.

***if you're talking about the japanese selvage model, my advice is pretty much useless because i have no experience with these.*** however, given my experience with the streaky svens and other nudies, i would still lean toward the japanese brands.

don't let the inability to try stuff on deter you either. there's now plenty of online stores selling canes (check the online stores thread) and selfedge and BiG carry samurai. these places generally offer a return policy; just spend some time browsing through the relevant threads here to get an idea for sizing. if you make a mistake send them back and try again. good luck.

I had some sammies, the 0505xx fit which i believe is the tightest fit, the thigh's weren't that tight at all..mind you i don't have that big of thighs...that being said i think the 5000vx wont be all that tight..again 'cant help but emphasize what lowrey's saying though..check out the measurements..

i wouldn't write off studio d'artisans sd-103. they fade really, really nicely and have great color depth!

. . . but i think your on the right track with the S5000VX bc they have a slightly looser leg and slightly higher rise, but from the way you described your build they will probably fit pretty snug on you. i have the SSDS and they have a 9 inch hem opening, while the samurai's have a 9.25 opening -- so the samurais will probably be just SLIGHTYLY looser than the SSDS. if it helps, my SSDS were really tight on my quads when i first got them, so they would probably be unbearable on you if you got them.

Thanks for the tip dude, actually after checking some more stuff out, including/especially http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/, I'm thinking either SD-103's or either S0505XX or S5000VX is the answer. Anyone tried both?