Bicyclettes

canice

I would say 48-50 is a good range to look for. One thing to keep in mind is top tube length - this is a very important factor as it varies from bike to bike and will greatly impact your riding comfort - probably more so than seat tube length. While it can be adjusted with stem and saddle/post choices, you definitely want to find out what a comfortable reach distance is for you. What type of riding will you be doing?

only street, as i live in nyc. i dont want a fixed gear because in my opinion theyre suicide (if youre not a skilled rider). any tips?

you probably think they're suicide because you see people riding without brakes. i find that they're no different from any other bike as long as you run brakes.

you could always look into single speeds or a 10 speed if you're not fussy. go to a bike shop and try some out and see what you are comfortable with.

Thanks for the info.

I've also now discovered Fulcrum Racing 5's/7's, and am looking into them... seem to be a pretty good wheel for the money. I'll look into the Ultegra/Mavic combo.

Out of curiosity, is your beef with Performance specific? Or is it just an wariness of buying house-brands?

Performance is the Walmart of bike shops. Maybe you don't have a problem with this, but I do. Their house brand products are inferior.

anyone have opinions on biking gear like jerserys and such? Started biking to work again and my choice of gear has just been jeans, shirt, and northface shell and have been debating on getting gear to bike in.

Wearing bike socks all the time is great, other than that for commuting10-20 minutes you don't need anything weird. Bike socks are just really comfortable, and you need socks anyway...

Ok need some info........Leader frame 720 or 721? Street and fix trick riding...no track use.

Is it a decent frame? is it a decent frame for a cheap beginner frame before running out and spending a ton especially if I dont stick with it?

i'd say skip the leader frame and go for something else

you probably think they're suicide because you see people riding without brakes. i find that they're no different from any other bike as long as you run brakes.

you could always look into single speeds or a 10 speed if you're not fussy. go to a bike shop and try some out and see what you are comfortable with.

I think they're suicide, because living in NYC I'VE almost got hit by cars before when I've been waiting to cross the street and have been alert. I just couldn't see myself riding here without brakes. And there are hills here. It just doesn't make much sense. To me anyway.

I've seen some bikes that can flip/flop. One or two speeds with brakes would be fine for me.

to me, new york is less dangerous than when i've ridden in philly or chicago for example. cars out there go a hell of a lot faster and aren't used to as much bike traffic. new york's a little insane, but you get comfortable with it pretty quickly. even my roommate who had barely ridden a bike since she was little is cool with it now.

fedex ground and usps are typically the cheapest. i think when i shipped the last frame i sold from NYC to the west coast it was about $45 fedex ground. make sure your box is within the size constraints or you could pay $50-100 more for an extra couple inches of box you don't really need.

I think they're suicide, because living in NYC I'VE almost got hit by cars before when I've been waiting to cross the street and have been alert. I just couldn't see myself riding here without brakes. And there are hills here. It just doesn't make much sense. To me anyway.

I've seen some bikes that can flip/flop. One or two speeds with brakes would be fine for me.

Around Morningside heights get a a bit hilly though but rest of

Manhattan is relatively flat...

riding on a fixed gear opens your senses up completly, almost like a shot of adrenaline. Ive ridden in sf and someplaces arent that much traffic but because of the hills and stop signs and traffic lights you allways have to look around and anticipate. I think all cities are very differnt to ride on, mainly because of the people driving and how many people are driving rather than the terrain of the city....

zen/rush/adrenalline bullshit aside, riding a fixed gear will totally change your perception of traffic and how you ride. you will pay more attention because you simply have to plan your way before you take it or you will eat shit. anyone who has seen douchebags riding down the williamsburg bridge yelling "no brakes get out of my way!" has seen someone who doesn't know how to do this.

i used to ride a mtb to class and shit and i would just ride as fast as i could then coast/brake as needed. totally careless. getting on a fixed bike made me pace myself and look a block ahead. its intimidating at first but once you realize how you need to roll, you'll be way more comfortable with it. if you're just starting out, put a fuckin brake on the thing if you live anywhere with more than a little traffic/hills until you know how to react with your feet instead of squeezing a lever.

i feel like i'm getting good reaction times when anticipating a stop. not much traffic around here in sarasota at all, which is good because i've only been riding for about 3 months, brakeless. skidding is down, but i feel like my gearing makes initiating the skid pretty difficult...as if there's too much momentum or the gear is too big. once i'm skidding i can lock it no problem (without m'nuts on the bars). i really don't know if i'm making sense, but if i change my chainring/cog will skidding be any easier? or just give me more skidspots? stock on the kilo is 48/16

i ride in new york and have had to balls to the stem skid two or three times. skipping and slowing down your legs is really all you need to control yourself on a regular basis.

its my favorite to see people rolling up to sop signs and the like, balls to the stem. overkill and hilarious.

businesscycles.com is still the BEST.

aebike.com and bikeisland.com tend to have the cheapest prices, but beware bikeisland takes awhile. almost like they get your order, order from QBP, then ship when their order arrives..

man i'll totally take back that aebike comment. their prices have SKYROCKETED. their price on 75s is $100 higher than just over a year and a half ago. holy shit. bike island is $40 cheaper than them.