Bicyclettes

canice

Sadly I haven't been on a bike since last August due to ill health. However I am hoping to recover at the end of march and treat myself with a well nice bike. Currently I am leaning towards a titanium tourer from Condor Cycles, a bespoke framemaker in London. The make is Gran Fondo:

http://www.condorcycles.com/granfondo.html

I'd probably get the Ultegra complete build for £2100 (1500 for frame).

I'd be using it for training rides (60-70 miles) as well as cycling holidays.

The tubing is "K19 Triple Butted 3AL.2.5V Ti", weighs approx 1.4 Kg.

I'd be V grateful if any cycling boffs could help me out with the following:

What's it like to ride Ti? Is it a suitable material for 1/2 day rides and cycling holidays? Every time I touch a Ti frame my dick moves, but I've never manged to actually mount one.

Info on the relative quality of the frame, i.e. I think "3AL.2.5V" refers to the Ti alloy used, but what quality is this alloy? and what does "K19" refer to?

What do peeps think of the price? Is it better value than litespeed?

Much appreciated.

Now you're talking.

I had an alu Condor before taking the Ti plunge and buying a Moots last year.

Ti ride is very nice indeed. Probably easiest to describe it as creamy smooth.

I'm a big chap so was scared about breaking a carbon frame as a result. I also began to hate the road buzz and jarring from aluminium, particularly on long rides. So I went with titanium. Yes it suits long rides. Yes it suits cycle tours.

The 3Al relates to the percentage of aluminium alloyed into the titanium. Likewise the 2.5V is the amount of vanadium. You can get higher grade titanium which is 6Al/4V.

I imagine the K19 relates to the way the tubing is shaped and finished to deliver a certain tube of ride characteristics, similar to double butting (which just means it flares out at both ends). Most of Condor's bikes have dedacciai tubes, so it could be their processes.

Litespeed to me seems very expensive. And I've heard some horror stories about their after care. But they're the biggest, so you'll always hear some terrible tales and nothing from the army of happy customers I'm sure.

Other brands you could look apart from the venerable Condor are:

Van Nicholas (http://www.vannicholas.com/)

Sunday (http://www.sundaybicycles.co.uk/)

And there are loads of others. One possible sneaky tip is this mob. http://www.xacd.com.cn/index1.htm

Feedback on a couple of cycling forums is they'll do you a very good custom geometry frame in 3/2.5 titanium for £370.

i love these plastic wheels

is that a brooks saddle on the quad? haha cool

yeah, i still need to figure out what's loose.

The saddle is Kashimax and I cut the front to get more space betw. saddle and handlebar end to turn around for freestyle.

Quadangles fucking rule.

I like your use of gold on this build + it actually looks like it's been ridden, unlike those bmx museum nerds who build classic bmx bikes and stare.

My friend have 2 Quandangles complete bike and a frame. Fuking awesomeee BMx.

2235145577_125002d67a_o.jpg

new chainring and tensioners...hooked up to the fluid trainer. I'm really loving it so far, pretty easy to get road-like resistance and way fun for rainy days like this...rode for an hour in my living room.

on another note, anyone heard of Sparton frames out of chile? they're lugged steel, handmade, and frame/fork are $250 shipped. I'm thinking about getting one for my second bike, they have more road-like geometry which would be nice for long rides.

2235145577_125002d67a_o.jpg

new chainring and tensioners...hooked up to the fluid trainer. I'm really loving it so far, pretty easy to get road-like resistance and way fun for rainy days like this...rode for an hour in my living room.

on another note, anyone heard of Sparton frames out of chile? they're lugged steel, handmade, and frame/fork are $250 shipped. I'm thinking about getting one for my second bike, they have more road-like geometry which would be nice for long rides.

Sparton frames suck, apparently. They're really heavy and not worth it for $250.