Bicyclettes

canice

complete tool kits are a good buy, but keep in mind some of those tools (often the most important ones) are made of metals that can strip or bend easily, or aren't machined precisely enough. which renders the tools (or the part you're working on) useless.

I bought this old Europa from a work collegue for next to nothing. Its like an early '80s model 12 speed that had the gears on the downtube. At the moment it is an extremely dodgy home made fixie conversion with completely wrong gearing! I want to grind off all the cable guides and stuff, have it powdercoated and put some decent parts on it.

Europa.jpg

by the time you file off braze-ons, have them filled correctly and powder coat, you're looking at the price of a much much nicer frame.

Thanks for the tip buddy. I was in two minds about this bike and spending much on it. It doesnt have ideal geometry for a fixed conversion really.

afbeelding032fc6.th.jpg

afbeelding039qb4.th.jpg

It says RX100

afbeelding042od6.th.jpg

It says Shimano600

I got this bike for free today. Thing is that I don't know anything about bikes yet so i'm wondering if anybody can tell me if it's any good. I tried to take pictures of the different elements, but my camera is horrible. Everything is by shimano, but i guess that does'nt say much. The frame is a little rusty so I'm thinking about repainting it. If anyone can give me some tips on how to and what to use would be really appreciated too.

^ thats all shimano 600, so its nice stuff. the frame looks pretty decent as well. very nice!

Thanks for the tip buddy. I was in two minds about this bike and spending much on it. It doesnt have ideal geometry for a fixed conversion really.

that and now that i look at it it has vertical dropouts which don't work for conversions. (unless you use an ENO hub, which are fucking expensive and are not worth it)

can somoene bring insight on my tools question? I want to place an order today

which set did you end up getting?

i just got a $4 allan wrench pocketknife set from nashbar, i figured i'll wait to buy the other stuff until i need it... not planning on replacing my bb, pedals or cog anytime soon

Hello all. I've been riding a Pista for about two weeks, it's so much fun. It's pretty much stock except I've put a yellow Selle Italia Flite seat on, some random red 2-inch risers bars and yellow grips, it's pretty much the bike Ronald McDonald would ride if he were into fixies (I'll put up pictures later). Anyway I got my first flat spot today, and now looking into getting some red tires to add to the Ronald McDonald effect, anyone know who makes good ones? Thanks in advance for any help.

t* usually has them, but i ususally ebay them when i can find them half off. if t* is out, check nyc velo on 2nd @ 3rd.

never go to or support nyc bikes.

Thanks again, took me a little while to work out the whole T* thing but I got it! I got my pedals there, pretty cool guys. And I promise I will never go to NYC Bikes!

Also, how long can one continue to ride a flat spoted tire before you blow the tube? I can ride my bike all day, but I'm so lazy when it comes to going to stores, I've been meaning to buy a pump for months...

i have ridden some tirers way past when i should have. the flat spot isn't what you should worry about, its more the tread being exposed or having a hole in your tire. you can always fold a dollar bill in half and put it in the tire as a temporary thing.

nyc bikes has a checkered past and i have had way too many bad experiences with their staff being assholes and have seen many friends have bad repairs done there - two of them had their cogs spin off 4 blocks from the shop after getting work done and another left the shop and his hub was stripped.

I rode on $9.95AUD tyres call Vtech they r my skidding tyres...haha I got a Set of COnti gatorskin they r awesome and it is going to be my long distance.

Well I guess vittoria rubbino pro would be way cheaper in US than over here in Aussie.

Picked up a new Specialized Roubaix Triple Elite yesterday. From what I've read in this post it may not be what's prefered in this post (fixed gear, vintage, fixed up) but I really like it.

been flipping through this thread and wow, some of you guys got seriously nice bikes !!

here in paris the fixie hype is just blowing up on the underground, although colette has an expo on the whole culture, decent parts are still near impossible to get. messengers use vespas here lol... i myself am a vespa afficionado but an old bmx boy at heart, so i might venture back into pedals..

anyways, local hipsters seem to really love their dutch utity velos, i went by the shop the other day and found this brakeless gazelle "porteur" model, the owner assured me i could transport my girl on it no problemo lol..

dsc00107gb7.jpg

731620882_9664046c8d.jpg?v=0

this is my first bike, old miyata 112 frame with formula weinmann rims/hubs, bulletproof cranks. i just started riding fixed a month ago and i really think i like it, my next project may be a nice road bike. d.c. has a lot of nice fixies, but i'd really like to go to gentei in baltimore and drool over their selection too.

Picked up a new Specialized Roubaix Triple Elite yesterday. From what I've read in this post it may not be what's prefered in this post (fixed gear, vintage, fixed up) but I really like it.

only because we're poor so we secretly resent those who can afford one.

dear cervelo soloist, you are but a fantasy for me... :(