Bicyclettes

canice

LOL...racing? Errrr...none. I just like to ride...and the funny part is, I have a 15lb bike, but I weight around 200#, so it's kinda worthless. Oh well.

a.s.

haven't read this thread in a week or so, but unless you got the deal of the century on that bike it's fucking laughable that you paid what you did for a bike you will never reap the benefits of, let alone race or train intensely on.

all you're doing there is riding around on a "i have money" billboard like the douchebag weekend warriors up in central park. you can't argue that you like expensive things or nice things because you have no idea why and will never experience why that bike would benefit you over one costing a fourth of its price.

yo repeater... can you run a track crank with a 3/32" ring w/o ramps/pins on a road setup old school tt style or will you throw chains often?

I think you're saying single ring, geared, yes?

No reason not to, other than you'll have a lip where the ring is mounted to the crank. Your chainline might not be correct, but whatever, it's a flexy geared chain it'll be fine.

I used to ride my other cross bike this way. It was 100% fine on the road, potholes, speedy downhills and all, but racing I used to drop the chain so I switched it back.

haven't read this thread in a week or so, but unless you got the deal of the century on that bike it's fucking laughable that you paid what you did for a bike you will never reap the benefits of, let alone race or train intensely on.

all you're doing there is riding around on a "i have money" billboard like the douchebag weekend warriors up in central park. you can't argue that you like expensive things or nice things because you have no idea why and will never experience why that bike would benefit you over one costing a fourth of its price.

Listen mate, I ride a ton. Like a said 200-300 miles a week. I have worked at bike shops for years and have a pretty good idea of why some bikes are good and why some bikes are shite. I would love to race, but my work (2 jobs) does not allow me to make it to enough races to be competitive. I have had crap bikes, and hated them. I had an Allez...but I hate aluminum, so I sold it and bought a used BMC Promachine for like $2k for the frame. THEN, I got in a crazy wreck and got about $30k from the insurance company (Most of that to cover the hospital bills), and they gave me about $12k to cover my BMC, which I had slowly built up with Record and nice wheels over time, finding good deals on ebay, etc. I got my next frame (2007 Astana BMC ProMachine) at a crash replacement price or around $3k for frame/fork/etc. Then, about 1 month ago I had a collector contact me and offered me $2500 for the Astana frame. I sold it and was able to pick up the 08 SLC01 for $1900...essentially making a $600 profit by upgrading to the newer frame with a stiffer BB. So, again, why do you care?

a.s.

How are you riding 300 miles a week and still overweight? IDKKKKKK

a few reasons: I don't ride 300 miles/week during 9 months out of the year (cuz it's crap weather here in Seattle), I usually do about 100. I am not skinny for a few reasons: 1: I have always had a crap metabolism...even when I ride 300/week I still have more fat than my friends who ride 50/week. Just unlucky that way. 2: I'm older than most of you guys, 26, and I just don't burn fat like a younger kid.

a.s.

because the man is POSING. its like buying a lamborghini that you drive to the grocery.

last month when i was in Miami i saw a black Gallardo parked outside a Publix supermarket, the guy driving it was head to toe ed hardy with a handful of groceries... it was quite a spectacle

because the man is POSING. its like buying a lamborghini that you drive to the grocery.

And how is it posing to have a pro bike when you ride as much as a local pro, but simply don't race? Lemme know that. I don't like Aluminum, and steel is too heavy. I think Ti is ugly...so I went carbon.

a.s.

jtnhhv.jpg

just built this...sorry for the shite pic:

2008 BMC ProMachine SLC01, 2009 Super Record 11, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR, ITM K Sword Cockpit, Cycleops Servo 2.4, Fizik CX Saddle, Time RXS Titan pedals, etc. 15lbs, on the nose.

a.s.

damn. finally something other than a fixie.

large.jpg

15.5 as it sits (w/o bottles).

how long can i run on a unlubed chain?

cleaned it, but didnt have lube at home.

should i get asap?

Negative fifteen seconds.

You're better off with a dirty, greasy chain than a dry one. Use whatever you have... I've used cooking oil before when I rode to work in the rain and got out and my chain (parked under cover) was dry and rusty already.

Chain-L lube would probably be sufu approved...?

jtnhhv.jpg

just built this...sorry for the shite pic:

2008 BMC ProMachine SLC01, 2009 Super Record 11, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR, ITM K Sword Cockpit, Cycleops Servo 2.4, Fizik CX Saddle, Time RXS Titan pedals, etc. 15lbs, on the nose.

a.s.

Great Bike! Still loving BMC. I got a CrossMachine last year but sold it because of wrong size. If I get the chance I will grab one again!

Hope you enjoy it!

my bike has been having real problems in its rear end lately (no homo) my locking and cog got loose and i stripped one side of the hub, but luckily it's a flip flop fixed/fixed hub so i just flipped it around and got a new lockring. i tightened the cog and lockring as much as i could with tools and went for a ride, tightened again later in the week and my cog is still slipping ever so slightly. do i just keep tightening it every week or so until it stops or jb weld the shit on there if it doesn't?

Negative fifteen seconds.

You're better off with a dirty, greasy chain than a dry one. Use whatever you have... I've used cooking oil before when I rode to work in the rain and got out and my chain (parked under cover) was dry and rusty already.

Chain-L lube would probably be sufu approved...?

HMM. would 3-in-1 work for a quick fix?

the bike shop is a 30 min ride away.

i can reclean the chain with wd-40 then apply the lube.

my bike has been having real problems in its rear end lately (no homo) my locking and cog got loose and i stripped one side of the hub, but luckily it's a flip flop fixed/fixed hub so i just flipped it around and got a new lockring. i tightened the cog and lockring as much as i could with tools and went for a ride, tightened again later in the week and my cog is still slipping ever so slightly. do i just keep tightening it every week or so until it stops or jb weld the shit on there if it doesn't?

what brands are your lockring / cog?

i have fix / free and on the fixed side i think i stripped a small amount but it took 2 mechanics to tighten it like crazy to prevent slippage. it works fine, but i'll be wary when i put in a new cog later on down the road

Kinda mismatchin at the moment...

20090523190258.jpg

Blue RX-1 pedals, because I put my GR-9s on with a pedal wrench, and now I cant get them off! HAH! So silly of me!!! I didnt know you use an alley key to put it on!!! Oh well...

47 x 18.

Debating to either:

A) Put on plastic toe clips.

B) Put on my other MKS doubles.

I dont enjoy where the bottom bracket sits... Feels fuckin weird...

And Im not diggin 48 x 17 on the Cannondale... :\

Haha. Its the one I posted a lil while ago, but has been laying around due to gathering the right sized parts and such. Only have this and the Cannondale now.

Thinking about rebuilding my old Pista...

Anyone know what would happen if... I put a 650 fork onto the Bianchi Pista? I know itll drop the BB quite a bit... I want a leisure bike for the summer... But I like pursuit style... Iono...

The pedals are cool. A LOT better then the Sylvans...

Thats why Im contemplating putting either new doubles or a set of plastic straps on em... Doubles would make sense, because I would actually use the pedal set up... Plastic only because it would be simple... Cept I think I stripped the screw...

Ive been out of my mechanical technique lately...

*Need some help*

So today, I was replacing the 2 flat tires on my bike (its a terrible, terrible generic bike) with the tires from this other extremely shitty bike, and my mom came over and saw me doing so, then offered to buy me a new bike.

I've been wanting a nice road bike like most people in this thread have, I've been creeping around a bit but I really have no idea what I should look for I'm going to a few bike stores/looking around for used one.

I'll mostly be using it for short to medium range biking on paved roads - I'm looking to pick it up as a bit of a hobby, as previously it was purely to get from A to B ... oh and I'm about 6'0, 145 lbs, and i'll most likely be getting a fully pre-assembled bicycle.

Any tips, reccomendations etc.. what should i look for?

note - This project is budget-oriented. I plan to buy a better bike in a year or two if i really get into this shit.

anything would help. thanks.

you've said you ride 300 a week, then said its more like 100. not sure i believe much you have to say.

either way, you have plenty of options for all of the above bikes that don't cost upwards of $15k to peacock on.

My bike costs $15k? WOW....I had no idea!

let's see...

Frame: $3k

Grouppo $2.5k

Wheels: $2k

Bars/stem: $0.5k

Saddle: $0.3k

Tyres: $0.05k

TOTAL: $8.35k (assuming I didn't get any discounts)

a.s.