Yarn counts in selvage denim.

dasman989

So... i'm trying to figure out how to go about weaving my own selvage denim. Does anyone have any idea what yarn counts are used and what kind and how many picks and ends per inch are used to get a particular denim weight. My goal is to buy ringspun cotton. Make my own indigo to hand dye it with and then weave it myself. Let me know if you have any comments or can be of help.

I don't have any comments that are really helpful. :)

I have a question though do you have a loom?

I have thought about growing an idigo plant just to say I have one but looking at the dying and indigo making process I would never want to try and make some dye myself it looks dangerous and pretty tough.

You are brave, keeping posting on how things go.

Actually do you have a shuttle loom?

My goal is to buy ringspun cotton.

Slacker...don't come half-stepping, spin your own yarn. Just kidding, but...well...actually I'm not. Google a thing called a takli handspindle - you can spin the finer yarns you'll need to make denim, like 20's and 30's. That's your cheapest way - there's lots of info online about spinning, though most of it is oriented toward spinning heavy gauges of yarn for knitting.

i've actually found a source for yarn. spinning my own is out of the question as i estimate i need about 50,000 yards of yarn to produce 12 yards of denim. I've found a source (actually a major cotton mill) willing to supply me a small sample of (aprroximately 50 lbs) top notch ringspun comeb cotton yarn. From the research i've done, quite a few people are using vegetable indigo for home dyeing projects and the process has been simplified alot. As far as shuttle looms go. No i don't have one but i will be able to acces on through my local weavers guild. (who knew there was a weavers guild). Almost all personal looms are of the shuttle variety. The question is finding one capable of handling a 60-70 thread per inch weave. So I'm well on my but i'll keep you guys updated.

i have dreams about growing my own cotton and indigo plants. on my own soil, waiting for them to grow and then to harvest them my self. dye, spin and weave my own cotten and build it in to ONE pair of jeans, then cast my own buttons from some sort of metal. the cut would be based on sda103 or those skulls.

i should buy some seads now, and maybe in 10 years i'll have one pair of jeans.

any four harness hand loom will probably work. A floor model with threadles will help you operate quicker, as a table loom you operate the harnesses with your hand. To get the high thread count you'll have to use flat steel heddles, and you'll need a lot of them. For a 24" loom w/ 60 threads per inch you'll need more than 1400 heddles. warping that many sure would suck ass.

http://www.schachtspindle.com/help/wolfpuploom.htm

This is probably the cheapest option that will meet the requirements for making denim.

Fortunately i can rent the loom for about $30 / month from the weavers guild. Or possiby just rent time from someone who has an even better loom. But i am aware that warping 1800 threads is goin to be a real suck ass affair but i think the results will be worth it. Once i get everything setup the actaul weaving should be relatively easy. Still don't know what a treadle is but i'm leraning more and more everyday. It seems to be possible though.