pattern change due to use of selvedge?

salih

i recently found this forum and i got 2 say the members are real knowledgable. Recently someone purchased a pair of bbc jeans for me. they are not selvedge and i dont like them. but i do like the fit. i had a pattern made of the jean so i can get some jeans made with that fit using selvedge. now with that pattern will the selvedge still be visible at the cuff or will changes need 2 be made 2 it?

Depending on the cut of the jean you may or may not be able to see all or some of one half of the selvedge line. I guy who makes jeans like Ande whall could field this a bit better than I. From what i know you would want a straight leg pattern (I think?)

Someone need sot jump in here but just thinking out the logistics in my head of the cutting of the denim, Only pretty straight legs cuts would accomedate for having both the front and back selvedge lines visible.

yeah?

Even if the jeans weren't straight leg, it would be possible to get selvage showing on the hem; it just wouldn't travel up very far. Right? I'm just guessing though.

Someone shoulda bought Ande that deadstock selvage roll

That is true. I think I would not like the look of that though.

Aren't BBC and Bape connected somehow ? Seems that BBC would be selvage as well as Bape raw are selvage ...

They are connected i believe. i was told they do make selvedge as well but this particular pair isnt. No authenticity issue with them....also to the poster above this when you say it wouldnt go very far what length am i looking at?

ok.

i think you could find most of this out by hitting the search threads hard, but...

"selvedge" is the literal self-edge of a piece of fabric when it comes off the loom. we all know the edge of the fabric is straight prior to cutting. therefore any cut using the the selvedge of fabric as a visable outseam, has to maintain a virtually straight outseam as it is inherently using two opposing straight edges of fabric. obviously you could taper or flare it very slightly but not enough to noticable. tapers and flares that you see on some selvedge denim are never that extreme and are obtained by tapering or flaring the inseam (as opposed to the outseam, or both).

you can try to do what is described above, but i seriously doubt it will look good. the ONLY reason you could want to do this is so you could turn up your cuff and show selvedge, but if you use this method, the selvedge shown will be at an angle which (i'm guessing) will not look the way you are hoping.

this is why most selvedge denim is either straight leg or very slight tapers and flares.