Denim project for Graphic Design

kapay

Hey everyone, I just wanted your opinion for a Graphic Design project I have for school. I have to create a series of three brochures that are "totally unique, yet related". For example,

I. California wines

a. Napa Valley

b. Sonoma

c. Simi Valley

If my topic were denim what three subsections should I work on? I was thinking either

I. Denim Production (location)

a. American denim

b. Japanese denim

c. Swedish denim(?)

I. Denim Washes

a. Raw denim

b. One-wash denim(?)

c. Pre-distressed denim

I. Denim Fit

a. Straight Leg

b. Bootcut

c. Tapered

Possibly even denim eras pertaining to fit, value, aesthetics, etc... which I would probably need help getting a headstart in. Any other suggestions would be great. I don't believe they have to sell anything to anyone, just inform an audience. If you all want I can try to keep updates. Thanks in advanced for all your help.

since this is a graphic design project, i would think you would want to go with more visual categories, like the denim washes example you gave.

to the amateur eyes, the difference between american, japanese and swedish (or any other) denim is a little too subtle to visibly differentiate. therefore, i would even consider categorizing denim by cut (slim, loose, tapered, ...), era like you said (50s, 60s, 70s, ...) or by companies (levi's, lee, wrangler, ...). and keep it simple. i think you'll find out even the most simple things aren't that easy.

good luck.

Thank you... that is a very good reminder to keep things simple and the location thing really would be pretty hard to do. Before now, I was simply thinking of the written information I would need to provide since research, no matter how simple the subject, can still be very hard and I knew there was a decent amount of text written about location. But visual information is just as important. Thanks for the heads up. The brand suggestion is also very good. I'll keep it in mind.

to the amateur eyes, the difference between american, japanese and swedish (or any other) denim is a little too subtle to visibly differentiate. therefore, i would even consider categorizing denim by cut (slim, loose, tapered, ...),

I totally agree with chicken. Most people not going to get the difference of denim fabric. They think denim is denim. going for Cut will be better. I was thinking washes..but it should be more of crazy washes (treatments etc.) Not Raw or one wash..

I totally agree with chicken. Most people not going to get the difference of denim fabric. They think denim is denim. going for Cut will be better. I was thinking washes..but it should be more of crazy washes (treatments etc.) Not Raw or one wash..

What kind of treatments did you have in mind?

btw.. just a note : I think I saw a past project in which someone did brochures on types of distressing from minor scuffs to gaping holes so that wouldn't be an option.

you need to take your own pictures. those from the evo thread are too small / low res to use on a print project, and a majority of them are just jeans sitting on the floor, etc... (boring)

just make sure you don't do gay shit like every other denim-related design out there, i.e. stick to navy, orange and Levi's-like fonts and stuff. it's going to look BAD if you do it like that.

I'd agree to keep the color scheme to something that would cause the jeans to pop a bit.

Also, instead of raw, 1 wash, predistressed (most wouldn't see much difference between the first 2) go for raw blue, predistressed and say black overdyed or black denim

How about this for a graphic design project (pulled from what I actually did this week): you work for a streetwear denim brand and you have just created three new jean fits, so now you have to create three different hangtags that graphically represent each fit. while there should be a common thread of your corporate identity throughout all three tags, from a merchandizing standpoint each hangtag should also look different to represent each fit to the consumer. this also makes things easier in production as well. besides the graphic elements on the tags, you'll also want to think about your copy: want will you call each fit? will it be a somewhat clear descriptive word (Slim Fit) or will it be vague (New Cure fit). just an idea.

Wow that's a very good idea. Tomorrow, I have to present 4 cover concepts of all three brochures. So, I guess I'm going to present all three of my original ideas + one informing an audience about three new jean fits. Anyways.. I should go to my school library and get cracking. Thanks for the help everyone. As long as I keep up w/ all my work, I'll keep you all updated.