Best Jeans under $100

haehaedori

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm biased as a tiny 25-26 inch waist wearer, so if I'm spending under 50 pounds then I'm looking at STF, Cheap Monday... and that's about it for reasonable quality dark denim.

Rustler. seriously. it's heavier weight, it's got felled inseams, it's one wash, it delivers great fades (better than STF IMO, just look through the Evolution of Denim thread) and it's got almost no branding on it, save that tiny little "Rustler" insignia on the seam. plus its 15 bucks!

not sure if they come that small, though.

Lars, thanks. They're Nautica and super thick. I slide around my kitchen in them, and they feel like cushions for my feet. A little thick for some of my shoes, but nice for winter :)

Bloke, I can't nail the weight that well, and although they're still pretty stiff, I don't think they could be any more than 12 or 14 oz. They're pretty much the same as this rinsed pair. Only difference is that mine have some paisley-type pocket lining.

I bought a pair of the Gap Gough Selvage. They are one rinse, but they are quite stiff and still very dark. I like the detail involved in the jean, and I feel they will age nicely. This is my first "serious" pair of project denim. I also didnt want to spend over $100 and with tax, I got these for 89.85. I think you will be impressed for the money. Good bang for the buck. (if I may be so clique')

Im sure you guys have a levis outlet in or around chicago. I saw some rigid skinners for 20$ at the one out here. they are pretty good denim if you want low rise... spent 10 minutes with the sewing machine and made mine a bit less flair leggeg, almost to straight. they arent quite STF but the length did shrink almost 2 inches on first wash

• 6 months later...

Today while shopping around in NY I found these. The texture of the denim is not that bad and the overall cut is just a simple straight fit. They feel of a much better quality than the regular stuff that comes out of this store. These don't feel raw but more like a one wash, rather rough to the touch. The indigo comes off fairly easily and the price can't be beat $39.95. They are made in Bangladesh and are a dark blue. I was just thinking of how many people can't afford or may want to experiment with a pair (other than stf's) before plunking down some serious change for a decent pair of denim these might be just what your looking for. Sorry these are phone pics.

hm1.jpg

hm2.jpg

I'm confused.

They're selvedge...so how are they an alternative...to selvedge?

I'm confused.

They're selvedge...so how are they an alternative...to selvedge?

I think what he means is that these jeans are an alternative to higher-priced selvege denim.

Thing is, I'd rather just spend the extra $90 and get a pair of New Standards from Context? They're only like $110 with the new buyer's discount.

I think what he means is that these jeans are an alternative to higher-priced selvege denim.

Thing is, I'd rather just spend the extra $90 and get a pair of New Standards from Context? They're only like $110 with the new buyer's discount.

This is true but some people probably can't spend even that, so I was just providing an alternative to really expensive denim.

Yeah I've seen those before. The ones you saw might have been one-wash, but I've seen selvage sliq's there before that were most definitely dry. They seem like decent jeans, but they didn't have my size on the sales floor and there was no one working in the men's section, and the store was packed (this was in the Mall of America, though, most other places you'll probably have better luck).

if people are out looking to buy "budget" selvage jeans then you have to remind yourself why you want selvage in the first place? (edited) Its hard to imagine youd get quality selvage jeans for that price just because of what mills charge for fabric and how much extra fabric is needed to produce selvage jeans. Its hard for me to judge by that picture what the fabric is actually like, but maybe its nice, who knows

for me, i love the fabric on 40s and 50s levis and to me that is the perfect denim. most of the japanese companies that make repros stick true to the era and use selvage fabrics as well... but if someone made identical jeans out of wider fabric without the selvage, id like those too

but again, just remind yourself why you even want selvage in the first place?

I got a pair of 501xx because hey, $30 dry jeans, but then I ran them through the machine washer and dryer to shrink them and they came out splotchy and streaked, and also they didn't shrink quite enough. I guess hot-soaking would have been better although inconvenient, but now that I've done this, what's the best way to deal with this pair? Would hot-soaking even out the color and random creases? Should I just wash them a few more times, maybe inside out?

no

Check Nordstrom Rack every now and then.. I got lucky and found a pair of No.2 Evisu's for like $65 last year. Seen one or two other selvage/raw jeans, one was a nice plainish-looking Chip & Pepper pair for something like $70.

Also a great spot for cheap sneakers - varying supplies of Vans and Chucks for as little as $20-30.