so i made a, erm, scarf. <PICS> and post your creations

jo3 b

i made a scarf. its the midsection of an old flannel shirt that was outta commission.

maybe i have something going here. comments and critique please. :)

DSCF0480.JPG

DSCF0487.JPG

the sewing job is the most shotty in the world, but its also the first time i actually was able to sew. so i'll give myself an e for effort. heh.

feel free to post your creations. thanks

it looks tight, I like the button idea... fresh... makes me want one now.

I like the color, first of all

Also dig the buttons. would definitely wear a scarf like that.

It reminds me of the sportsscarfs some italian footballgoalies (i know buffon and toldo used to) would wear during cold matches.

but will it keep you warm?

Simply genius. I had old articles of clothing on which I loved the patterns but couldn't wear anymore and trashed. This is what I should do to such items from now on.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Great job...I'm racking my brain trying to figure out the great stuff I got rid of and could have used

i'm surprised and extremely excited by all the positive remarks.

to the comment on warmth, i'll let you know ;)

but anyway, i wouldn't ever try and sell something like this as you'd probably be able to easily make it yourself.

samsikle, if you need any help feel free to ask, although its pretty basic and you could probably pick it up from the pics.

and, i'd like to give credit to mike lowery for his home made scarf, as it was inspiration.

pics here:

today_oct25.jpg

i really plan on going a step further with his sweat shirt scarf as it seems like the most casual scarf possible and essentially thats what i'm going for.

So you just chopped out the middle of the shirt, and are buttoning the original buttons through the original placket? That's resourceful, and it looks pretty good.

Might be cool to recut it some, though, and re-sew the buttons so it's not so obviously the front of a shirt. Maybe that's part of the charm, though... Can't tell if it'd work better not to use the original placket--buttonholes are tough to make.

i really plan on going a step further with his sweat shirt scarf as it seems like the most casual scarf possible and essentially thats what i'm going for.

I actually have v.2 in the makes right now, so far I've made a pocket into it :)

• 1 year later...

cool ideas! i just made a scarf out of and old blanket. i live in hawaii and will probably never use it. but whatever, just messing around. gonna make some new fits out of old clothes. i'll post pics later

Is this what everyone is raving over? I can't see the pics in the op.

i'm surprised and extremely excited by all the positive remarks.

to the comment on warmth, i'll let you know ;)

but anyway, i wouldn't ever try and sell something like this as you'd probably be able to easily make it yourself.

samsikle, if you need any help feel free to ask, although its pretty basic and you could probably pick it up from the pics.

and, i'd like to give credit to mike lowery for his home made scarf, as it was inspiration.

pics here:

today_oct25.jpg