Newb question... but what is my waist size?

syzygy

so I should get 30'' jeans right? thanks redface.gif

it depends on lots of things.

* the rise of the jeans (most important; if they're low-rise, they'll sit at your hips, not waist)

* the way the jeans are sized (ie some low-rise jeans tagged 30" measure 32" since they're designed to be worn at the hips)

* how tight you want your jeans / how much they stretch

it depends on lots of things.

* the rise of the jeans (most important; if they're low-rise, they'll sit at your hips, not waist)

* the way the jeans are sized (ie some low-rise jeans tagged 30" measure 32" since they're designed to be worn at the hips)

* how tight you want your jeans / how much they stretch

well I'm leaning towards SugarCane Okinawas, I emailed the president of the company on rakuten and he suggested I get my exact waist size, but I had measured my hips as my waist, so he suggested 32s

i read the whole sugar cane thread and it seems like getting your waist size or down one is recommended there

the rise is 15 inches I assume

thanks for your help, spending 200 dollars on something I've never even seen much less tried on is hard

link to the jeans: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/frisbee/427582/432221/

so I should get 30'' jeans right? thanks redface.gif

yes. i'm the exact same specs. 30 in almost everything. 28/29 in apc probably next time i buy apc it will be a 28, 29/30 in nudie/most japanese repros, and my biggest is 31 in sugarcanes.

edit, just read your last post....

imo, i'd get a 31, or if you're adventurous, a 30. a 30 might be some work, but it will stretch out....thats what size i got in my okinawas.

i think most people here have probably determined their "true" jeans size by trial and error, with "error" being the operative word. when you're going sight unseen, and choosing an unfamiliar maker, there is a good chance that even if you get the waist right the fit won't be what you want. and even if it is there when you first try it on, maybe a week or two down the road you'll be thinking i should have sized down (or up, or not bought these jeans, or whatever). i think this is particularly true of 'canes, as a lot of the fits are pretty hardcore repro.

on the positive side, if you do screw up on fit, a good secondary market exists here and on ebay, and i think you could definitely expect to recover 50-75% of what you spent. so as long as you can afford to make a $50 or $100 mistake i wouldn't stress about it too much and just go with your best guess.

for what it's worth, i have found that good old one-wash 501's (as in JC Penny's or Sears) are pretty much good indicators of "true" jeans size. maybe just a touch larger. i'd go with the 501 size that fit kinda tight in the waist (but you could still button and sit down in without pain).

If you wear your jeans on your hips a lot, I would definitely get the 30. no doubt about that at all. if you get the 32 and wear it on your hips off the bat, it just feels too baggy imo.

Get the 30 and it'll stretch like mad from wear from the hips. I have a pair of sz30 guess jeans that stretched out to something like a 33 because i always wore it superlow (levis offender low)