Question about wearing denim til dry from soak

khaltire

Do people recommend wearing the jeans til dry after they are soaked, even if the length is like 6 inches too long? The jeans Im soaking right now are like a 37 inseam when I only need like 30-31. Wouldnt that make all the creases youre trying to set in in the wrong area (due to all the bunching all up my leg etc.?) Let me know, I have to decide what to do within the next couple hours :)

Or would I just be better off hanging till dry and not wearing them until they are dry and hemmed? Thanks

Are you planning on hemming these later or stacking them up?

If you're going to hem 'em.. I would let all the shrinking get done, then hem. No wearing until they dry..

If you're gonna stack 'em.. hang 'til they're damp, and then wear 'em stacked 'til they're dry.

Don't wear your jeans when wet.

via horriblyjollyjinx's blog:

"When you starch the back of the knees and then wear the jeans 'til they've dried, what you will get will not be creases that have a natural shape. Honeycombs are the product and average of hundreds of thousands of knee-bends, but if you starch and wear your jeans, the creases you will get can be the product of ten knee bends. This means that the pattern will not look real and it also means that the creases will not fade as well since the highest points at the creases will not be stressed or bent as much and you might also get new, natural creases after a while that will go over the old creases, and just make your jeans look a bit off."

He's talking about wearing jeans while they are still wet from starching, but the same applies to wearing jeans that are still wet from soaking.

Don't try to "set" creases. Let them form naturally.

^ thanks, that helped alot... I always wondered, cause alot of ppl always say that after a soak they wear them while damp but not dripping

Anyways, I was planning on hemming them to a 32 when Im actually a 30 inseam, so to have about 2 inches of stacking, any more than that and Ill look too short I think

Just turn them up, man.

Have a 6 inch cuff? Id like to see how funny this would look, I would have taken a pic but they are wet now

Some people really don't get us short people i.e. those who have a 30inch inside leg. WE CAN'T STACK WITH A PAIR OF JEANS WHICH ARE 36" LONG.

So yeah, in our defense, we do have to hem them.

I'm getting 5" taken off my diors, to reduce them to a 32", when i'm a 30", so I still get some sort of stacking. Not something stupid or extreme like 7" of it. So I suggest you do the same :)

DON'T hem them! They look perfect how they are, bunched up!

Don't wear your jeans when wet.

via horriblyjollyjinx's blog:

"When you starch the back of the knees and then wear the jeans 'til they've dried, what you will get will not be creases that have a natural shape. Honeycombs are the product and average of hundreds of thousands of knee-bends, but if you starch and wear your jeans, the creases you will get can be the product of ten knee bends. This means that the pattern will not look real and it also means that the creases will not fade as well since the highest points at the creases will not be stressed or bent as much and you might also get new, natural creases after a while that will go over the old creases, and just make your jeans look a bit off."

He's talking about wearing jeans while they are still wet from starching, but the same applies to wearing jeans that are still wet from soaking.

Don't try to "set" creases. Let them form naturally.

I don't do it to set creases. I do it so that they won't shrink so much that I can't button them up.

^ thanks, that helped alot... I always wondered, cause alot of ppl always say that after a soak they wear them while damp but not dripping

Anyways, I was planning on hemming them to a 32 when Im actually a 30 inseam, so to have about 2 inches of stacking, any more than that and Ill look too short I think

Have a 6 inch cuff? Id like to see how funny this would look, I would have taken a pic but they are wet now

I meant turn them up while wearing 'til dry. Just turn the hem up to where you like it, and let it dry.

I'm a 30" inseam myself.

I don't do it to set creases. I do it so that they won't shrink so much that I can't button them up.

I asked the question in the sorahiko slim thread but might as well ask it here. Let's say I get a pair of size 28 (right now 30" will shrink to 28" after a soak) and need a 30", can I wear them when soaking them and end up with a jeans that fit in the waist or will I end up being all constricted? I mean it's easy to say it but I've never seen anyone who has tried and sorahiko slim raw aren't cheap...

• 5 weeks later...