Do I bring denim to Asia?

Guest chiquita_chaser

Guest chiquita_chaser

In 18 days I go travelling in Asia, visiting Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Campuchea and Australia (Maybe Myanmar+Tibeth aswell). Anyway, I really want to bring my Cheap Mondays loose fit to get the Asian trip wear into them. They are 4 months old and I've probably worn them 4 days a week plus an entire Roskilde Festival. They haven't been washed. The question is will I get a chance to wear them in that climazone? They are my first and only pair of dry denim so far and we've come along way and it feels good to etch the story of me into them.

- Hang Loose

In 18 days I go travelling in Asia, visiting Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Campuchea and Australia (Maybe Myanmar+Tibeth aswell). Anyway, I really want to bring my Cheap Mondays loose fit to get the Asian trip wear into them. They are 4 months old and I've probably worn them 4 days a week plus an entire Roskilde Festival. They haven't been washed. The question is will I get a chance to wear them in that climazone? They are my first and only pair of dry denim so far and we've come along way and it feels good to etch the story of me into them.

- Hang Loose

you'll have plenty of chances.

there was a thread last summer about wearing dry denim in 30 + degrees temperature. a lot of members seem to be able to do it, but i just can't. travelling through SE Asia, there will be times where it's most likely gonna be very very hot and humid and you might not want to be wearing jeans. however, you'll probably be able to wear them most of the time and anyway, if you want to buy some cheap pants or shorts, i'll be no problem.

Shorts do suck. I only wear shorts when I am fly fishing in a river and don't want to wear waders (the quick drying kind because I usually get them wet) or when I am doing physical activity like running or soccer. Even then I wish I could be in jeans!

Guest chiquita_chaser

Thanks for all the feedback on the subjekt. But maybe I knew all along I was going to bring them.. Couldn't imagine 5 months without them. But now that we are on the subjekt, what kind of solewear is prefered to use in Asia? My chucks died last week because some geezer stepped on them and destroyed the canvas by the heel creating a new model of chuckie sandals (maybe this would be nice actually?). When I got thrown out of a bar. I'm thinking of buying new ones for the trip though. The alternative is vans old skools, adidas withnall, air force ones or regular stan smiths (lace/velcro).

What to do?

Guest chiquita_chaser
I vote for Stan Smith Comforts w/Velcro straps !!

Thing is that chucks and cheap mondays are like donuts and custard, you know it's the easy pick but it just looks good. My Stan Smiths w/velcro really needs to be broken in properly - think you might be right Señor Uno

;) (look at me! I'm a pirate)

Guest chiquita_chaser
being from asia, i would ask u to bring a pair.....

but judging by where u are headed, think something just below ur knee would be more appropriate...

if u are headed to hong kong, taiwan...

then def need more...

but 1 would be enuff if u are me...

;)

Below the knee? Do you mean like wellingtons or just high tops?

Some friends of mine, who recently visited Asia, told me that all they wore was sandals and I had a nightmare about it the same night. I don't hang out with them anymore.

where are you from originally... true not many people wear shorts in Asia... but you're not an asian resident either so you may have trouble acclimatizing to the weather in the first few while there. I'd say bring them with the intention of wearing more @ night then during the day time

Guest chiquita_chaser

I am from skandinavia (Denmark to be exact) so I sup you're wrights Becks..

As goes for my problem with the choice of solwear to bring I'd still like to get feedback.

If I have a party once, you are all invited...

The question isn't should you, it's which:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=16697

and since you already decided which, this thread also has some advice on what footwear.

I would pack lightly and buy locally for anything you really need (unless you're grotesquely large/tall) as things like shorts are gonna be cheap as dirt in Asia if it's the right season in which to wear them. Get here, buy a couple things you like, and hey, you always have a small story to tell with those things too, once you get home.