Denim in Singapore

tweeds

Sweetmofo,

How is the workmanship of Dr John?

Does he use the thread that closely matches to the original thread’s colour and the thickness of the stitch match the original stitches out from the factory?

You are right, any inseam longer than 34' is just not for average singaporean.

I have seen many denim hemming that are just awful. People just don’t care about all these details and that ruined the denim. Maybe not the fault of the denim owner but the tailor that did the hemming just doesn’t bother.

the workmanship of Dr John is pretty good.

the thread he used is looks almost identical to the ones on my dukes.

just that its not chain stitched.

yeah its hard to come by good tailors in singapore.

most of them are of older generations and dont really understand what you want.

but dr john is fine. he is experienced (he claims that he has hemmed diors, haha).

and most people recommend him.

PS: dont hem too much raw denim usually shrinks!

i wear apc's ( 36" ) unhemmed and they still look pretty good, i guess maybe coz i'm tall...

y'all could try the tailor just directly opp belief at peninsula plaza lvl 2, an elderly couple who does good work on jeans. he advised me against taking in my dior jeans, told me it would be too ex and just not worth it. he has done alterations other expensive clothing too and he did good work on my nudies. so yeahh

i wear apc's ( 36" ) unhemmed and they still look pretty good, i guess maybe coz i'm tall...

y'all could try the tailor just directly opp belief at peninsula plaza lvl 2, an elderly couple who does good work on jeans. he advised me against taking in my dior jeans, told me it would be too ex and just not worth it. he has done alterations other expensive clothing too and he did good work on my nudies. so yeahh

Is that the Ted Tailor at peninsula shopping centre?

There is another tailor's shop opposite Belief I, uh... believe.

haha :)

i think if chainstitching is a must, it would be a good idea to get the store to do the alteration for you when you buy. if you're buying japanese denim that would be either BiG or rakuten, both can do hemming.

if not, a well-done single stitch is also fine. APCs use a single stitch hem and they turn out okay.

I don't think that's the one the above poster is referring to. Tet is next to Belief, not opposite it. There is another tailor's shop opposite Belief I, uh... believe.

If im not wrong the tailor opposite belief is Winning tailoring? or something along this line..

there's an indian lady tailor at the basement of peninsular plaza who can do hemming or tapering.

mr. su3m3rg3d had his diors tapered and hemmed there. i had her do a couple pairs of jeans and pants. her fees are about half of what dr. john charges and the workmanship (or workwomanship) is as good. and she works fast. you can go to her at like 6pm and you can collect your stuff at about 8.30pm.

another plus point is she opens till about midnight.

winning tailor.. hmmm the name suggests some quality. haha

tweedle, dont know about the other tailors but i insisted dr. johns return every gram of denim back to me. haha

i had it shortened by around 2.5' but the left overs were like only 2.4cm long.

cos he had to fold them in and sew over to restore the original look.

so i guess there's probabaly not enough material to do patching.

but at least there's some.

haha :)

i think if chainstitching is a must, it would be a good idea to get the store to do the alteration for you when you buy. if you're buying japanese denim that would be either BiG or rakuten, both can do hemming.

if not, a well-done single stitch is also fine. APCs use a single stitch hem and they turn out okay.

Did you hem your APCs?

love my apc ns. i love the fitting damn if only they had it in black. i've been looking for some black denim similiar to apc ns's cutting but i haven been able to find any. tried on cheap mondays but they looked too skinny for my liking. any recommendation?

^^

either hunt down APC ns overdyed blacks

or

try crate james. excellent fit and denim

or

visit the lawn and try imperial dukes, been hearing good things abt them

or

slim jim dry blacks

or

pbj-005 blacks

cheeers`

p.s. maybe the new nudies even stevens are worth a shot

hahah where can i try on some crate james?

and i was thinking abt skulls at QC but i'm not that sure abt the fit. anyone with skulls wanna willing to share some info?

5010xx fits real slim.

much slimmer than ns,

its straight throughout without a taper.

if u're after a boxier fit i wld reckon 5007's a betta bet.

cos imo, 5010xx's quite a girly fit.

i like the fit, but i felt that my frame doesnt suit it.

hahaha, no clue where u can try em on,

but crate jeans are seriously underrated!!

but what kinda fit are u looking fer exactly?

edit :

if i were to choose pbjs 005 vs 5010xx i wld go with the pbjs.

5010xx fits real slim.

much slimmer than ns,

its straight throughout without a taper.

if u're after a boxier fit i wld reckon 5007's a betta bet.

cos imo, 5010xx's quite a girly fit.

i like the fit, but i felt that my frame doesnt suit it.

hahaha, no clue where u can try em on,

but crate jeans are seriously underrated!!

but what kinda fit are u looking fer exactly?

edit :

if i were to choose pbjs 005 vs 5010xx i wld go with the pbjs.

well after reading 48pages of the skull thread i think my next pair of jeans would be skulls. but i still not that sure how 5010xx fits.

and also for the short inseem i think that will be a problem because i'm 186 and i'm a size 26 in apcs. but i'm worried if i get a size 26 in 5010xx its will be too cheap mondayish which i dont want.

i'm looking for something like a apc fit. but i'm looking for black denim

capt - you tried on those crates james?

QC carrying april77, interesting! i really like the fit, but the denim quality is probably crap although it's definitely comfortable. tried the indigo overdrives in bangkok last christmas. maybe i should go down and try on all the jeans they have in store again. although after the last time i went down thrice without buying, i'm not sure they'll let me into the shop much longer ;)