Favorite Fashion Collections of All Time?

Guest Fade to Black

Guest Fade to Black

My top 3 (no order):

1. Junya Watanabe 'Taxi Driver' collection - fucking brilliant....i wanna own the whole thing, especially those dark blue flight bombers and army green parkas. The attitude of the runway show pictures was great, but more importantly Junya Watanabe's design trademark of referencing Americana was never executed as brilliantly as it was here.

2. Yohji Yamamoto F/W 06-07 - Yohji's best menswear collection in years, love the blazers and tailoring on this one...i love how Yohji's been taking his menswear in a more tailored direction while still maintaining the classic, masculine 'elegant homeless man' image patterned after himself.

3. Dior Homme - Solitaire - the first, and still the best DH collection ever. Probably the most incredible collection of tailored ready to wear I've ever seen. I wish I can see the clothes in person and regret that I wasn't old enough or into fashion to appreciate this stuff back then.

1) Dior Homme - Victim of the Crime

This is the collection that opened me up to the suit. Before this, I thought all formalwear was lame and opted for military-type stuff but after checking out VotC, I was all about mixing in suit pieces, skinny stuff, etc. Essentially, this was my introduction to real fashion. I started questioning cuff length, shoe color, belt size, etc.

2) Cloak - Spring/Summer 2006

I'm sure noone else would even put this in their favorite Cloak collections, much less favorite collection overall. The 2006 Cloak Spring line really took things up a notch as far as fit and aesthetic go. Nearly every single fit is 100% perfect in my eyes, and it even made me want to wear shorts with a suit jacket... which people like Thom Browne still haven't accomplished. I look at this connection and it is solid throughout and I could see myself wearing any of the looks.

3) Helmut Lang - Autumn/Winter 2003

This is one of those collections that I discovered much later than the rest and I've come to cherish it as being very influential on myself and other designers. While Hedi and Raf were doing the skinny thing, neither really made it as dark and as sinister as Helmut, while staying entirely wearable. Some of the dark outfits in this collection resemble modern Rick Owens, and it's clear that people are still ripping off this line.

Guest Fade to Black

not quite...i think the McCoy stuff might be more authentic and closer to the thrift style army gear in the movie based on the look and feel of the materials/cut from those pics...Junya's stuff is pretty utilitarian but maybe there's more of a fashion twist to the clothes and details.

1. Helmut Lang Autumn-Winter 2003-4.

Very stripped back, chic, still feels relevant today, with intricate punk-influenced bondage detailing.

lan014.jpg

2. Dior Homme Autumn Winter 2003-4

dior036.jpg

The first time (and maybe the last) that Hedi managed to REALLY extend himself beyond what Helmut was doing, IMHO, and make the look his own. Shame, then, that only a year later he was designing total nonsense.

Between these two collections, I was hooked on fashion, and never looked back...

All Dior Homme by Hedi Slimane collections, he got me into fashion in a big way, Solitaire, Luster, Votc etc. are considerd brilliant by everyone but i also liked the stuff that came after. Though I was glad Hedi turned back to evening wear with f/w 06. I love his aesthetic and exceptions there, I think most of his collections are very wearable.

Also really liked N(n) Noir collection, very dark and beautiful pieces, I only own a hoodie by N(n) but it is one of the best made items i own, great attention to details and material.

Undercover womans collection, the one where Jun mummified all the faces of the models and covered them in clothes. I thought it was an amazing collection and I really liked the overall look and feel of the collection.

Guest Fade to Black
Can you fucking imagine walking down the street dressed like this?

Seriously.

That would be insanity.

That, to me is where the genius in that collection lies.