favorite artist.

red

walker evans is probably my favorite photographer, but "artist" in connection with his name doesn't jive with me. documentarian?

but then i am very sparing in my application of the word. most of the people noted in this thread i would consider entertainers. not as a slight, but art is almost a relic of a foregone time.

Robert Frank

Walker Evans

Ralph Gibson

Edward Weston

Dorothea Lange

Fuck yeah. Now thats a list.

Gott throw Henri Cartier-Bresson, Minor White, Edward Steichin, and George Rodger in there though.

walker evans is probably my favorite photographer, but "artist" in connection with his name doesn't jive with me. documentarian?

Photographers, specifically photojournalists (or documentary photographers), have been the most important artists of the past 75 years.

photographers in particular have to fight for the "artist" designation, so i definitely see where you are coming from. photography has its place in art museums, no doubt. but i get just as uncomfortable when i hear the word being applied to rappers/rock bands at the mtv music awards or whatever: "best new artist"

ugh.

i'm just saying we don't live in the time of artists-----we've killed the possibility.

Daido Moriyama

Dystopia

Eugene richards

Cormega

Allister MacCloud

Edward Hopper

Sol lewitt

Revs

Howard Norman

Susan Miesellas

Antoine D'Agata

Miles Davis

Alec Soth

Lee bontecou

Leonard Cohen

Billie Holiday

And anyone else who makes work full of sincerity and heart, which is against the grain, and oh so "uncool" in the climate of irony and fluff that rules our lives.

More than half these people are alive and still making incredible work not "relics of a foregone time". Fuck that.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...

robert rauschenberg

jasper johns

louise bourgeois

michelangelo caravaggio

felix gonzales-torres

ed ruscha

roy lichtenstein

richard serra

robert mapplethorpe

mark rothko

michael heizer

donald judd

dan flavin

frank stella

slightly myopic list

edit - peter zumthor and paolo mendes da rocha... do they count?

Edited by Denton

• 1 month later...