superbattle: anklestacking vs. no ankle-stacking

masuerte

well yeah, likewtfyo the amount u can stack depends on the shoes versus the leg opening on your jeans. high tops are good for most. lo tops not so much; with low shoes the stacking tends to overlap your heel and you end up stepping on them. don't even try to stack with something like slipon converses unless the leg opening is like <7.5 inches. that's just from my experience anyway.

carl and sidneylo, i especially like your examples!

stacking.jpg

First of all, this thread is fucking ridiculous.

Secondly, I think you've got excessive stacking going on in that picture. It looks like you're trying to fit into your older brother's pants, or you bought a pair of poorly fitting jeans online, hem those fuckers.

these are the 43" pair of levi's i bought recently. i like how they look.

what levi's are these? 43" inseam, sweet moses!

i'm pro-stacking; i've seen plenty of people here pull it off very well (carl's pbj's are outstanding). although, i've also seen a few pics of people pull off the hemmed look (or their just that tall, damnit) and the cuffed look. here are some pics i got from superdenim threads long ago while deciding between 47'501's and diors (i chose 501's, and apcns for work), though i don't recall who these belong to:

p10507176mv.jpg

6-13.jpg

lvcsoak13.jpg

1003396xs5.jpg

1003086uo9.jpg

Man, cult has got it down to a science. Subtle and adds a little character to the bottom of the pant. I think without the stack, it looks too cropped unless the inseam has been hemmed to the perfect length. Which, i guess, brings up another question..

well yeah, likewtfyo the amount u can stack depends on the shoes versus the leg opening on your jeans. high tops are good for most. lo tops not so much; with low shoes the stacking tends to overlap your heel and you end up stepping on them. don't even try to stack with something like slipon converses unless the leg opening is like <7.5 inches. that's just from my experience anyway.

carl and sidneylo, i especially like your examples!

lovely, thanks for the help. appreciate it. as i'm a plump guy the leg openings of my denim tends to be bigger even if my shoe size is US10-11. i've never really had tight jeans. tho' i'd love to give it a try. am deciding on slim jims. :)

Brought this thread back.. anyways, for stacking do you guys do anything specific? Ive had trouble getting the stacked look, my pants just bunch up everywhere, as opposed to just down at the ankles.. Id like to stack at the ankles, and have it straight at the calf area but this doesnt seem to be possible... do you guys soak and then 'set' the stacks?

Also, how many extra inches do you recommend for a good looking stack (say like cultpop, rirawin or carl) from the usual just before touching the ground hem? if that makes sense

^ if the hem is tight enough to choke the ankles, then they should fall down and stack at the ankles naturally. I actually want the opposite of you and want loose stack through the shins up to above the knee, but all I can ever get is ankle stack.

It goes without saying that Dior 19cm is the choice for stacking since the hems are small and inseam is long, but the general idea is that you need jeans with at least 4-5" of extra inseam past the heel of your foot and they need to sit on the ankles to really stack cleanly....

Brought this thread back.. anyways, for stacking do you guys do anything specific? Ive had trouble getting the stacked look, my pants just bunch up everywhere, as opposed to just down at the ankles.. Id like to stack at the ankles, and have it straight at the calf area but this doesnt seem to be possible... do you guys soak and then 'set' the stacks?

Also, how many extra inches do you recommend for a good looking stack (say like cultpop, rirawin or carl) from the usual just before touching the ground hem? if that makes sense

are your jeans bought recently? new denim usually has the 'stack' everywhere but it'll even out over time.

around 2-3 inches more than your 'leg inseam'

'Just before touching the ground' is a bit of a false way to measure your inseam, being as that's for bootlegs, wheras to stack you need straights or tapers which sit on your kicks. Depending on how tall you are and how much stacking you want you can whack on up to 6 inches extra... in the pic above CMF is 6' 2" and wearing a 39" inseam, so if you wanted that look I'd add/remove an inch of inseam per two inches of your height relative to CMF, if that makes sense (say you're 5' 10" and wanted that massive stacking you'd want a 37" inseam - also note that CMFs jeans are tapers as far as I can tell, rather than straights, which might fall off the back of your kicks with such a big inseam).

Of course, if you're as skinny as me then the hem of straight legs is smaller... 19cm is a taper for most people, but on my 501s at 25" it's a standard straight leg.