Indigo Invitational Y4

Maaaaaybe. I don't think I have any raw, unworn pairs and I'm not sure what I'd enter with. I could roll a pair of FC 1103s or TCB 50s slim-T. My days of going for high contrast, rough denim fades are behind me, so it'd have to be a comfy pair lol.

Would a loose fit, mild fade type pair stand any chance of winning?

I don't feel you NEED to run super heavy/skinny denim to have a chance, but I get you, those South Easterners are nuts! Showing up with 33oz denim in 110 degrees with 100% humidity? That's a no from me. Something to note, the East is getting its own conference so it might give the rest of us a slight chance.

I'm aiming for a pair that will be comfortable year-round and go from there. Watching Imperial, Resolute, Momotaro, Warehouse, Eternal, and Denime. But looking for a higher rise with a natural taper or a slim straight in the 12-16 oz range in the end.

I’m more than likely entering this year, but I wanted to ask if anyone knew if it has to be a pair of denim jeans to enter. 

I found a pair of 12.5oz indigo shashiko trousers I have my eye on. 

2 minutes ago, reallypeacedoff said:

Their rules are here. But you could email or hit them up on IG and ask.

Yeah I checked those but it just says denim must be raw but doesn’t outline what’s allowed. Ill email them, thanks!

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I registered my pair of Denime XX from the Shins era. We will see how disciplined I am...

Hell yeah!

Not gonna lie though, glad SE Asia has their own conference to start with, those kids are nuts. 25oz denim in 100% humidity with 110 degree weather? How can you compete? Good thing there is multiple judges, not everyone sees sharp high contrast as the holy grail.

Looks to be a ton of prizes so far.

Excited to see how some Sufu competitors do. I have a fresh pair of Flat Head 1005s that I could use, but most likely these will stay stashed in the closet for a few years. Perhaps I'll bust them out for a future contest.

One of the most important things to this kind of competition is to pick a pair of jeans that will work well for year-round wear, and with all sorts of outfits you wear. Last round of this contest I tried the Samurai S3000vx for a few months; great jeans I'll wear more in the future, but between the heavy, crunchy denim and low-ish rise (on me), they're really best suited to wearing in colder weather with untucked shirts.

11 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I registered my pair of Denime XX from the Shins era. We will see how disciplined I am...

Denime XX is typically a fast fader right? Why the Shins era @beautiful_FrEaK? Gotta keep those Ozzy's pristine I bet 😂

1 hour ago, Cold Summer said:

Excited to see how some Sufu competitors do. I have a fresh pair of Flat Head 1005s that I could use, but most likely these will stay stashed in the closet for a few years. Perhaps I'll bust them out for a future contest.

One of the most important things to this kind of competition is to pick a pair of jeans that will work well for year-round wear, and with all sorts of outfits you wear. Last round of this contest I tried the Samurai S3000vx for a few months; great jeans I'll wear more in the future, but between the heavy, crunchy denim and low-ish rise (on me), they're really best suited to wearing in colder weather with untucked shirts.

Should be a good one. I agree, I told myself I needed a relaxed taper with something ~15oz or below. I have the 3sixteen CT-102xn on standby, just waiting for @kiya to send me my "free" pair of SExI26-ST if the measurements line up. 😉

46 minutes ago, reallypeacedoff said:

Denime XX is typically a fast fader right? Why the Shins era @beautiful_FrEaK? Gotta keep those Ozzy's pristine I bet 😂

No, the older versions (at least Shins) are really slow faders. The Orizzonti pair is already worn so they won't qualify to be used.

I'm giving more thought to the idea of entering with my TFH 1005s. Haven't decided yet for sure, but the prizes seem mighty nice.

How exactly are the prizes handed out, anyway? I couldn't find anything about it on the site. Isn't it like, the grand prize winner chooses five, then the runner up chooses two, third place one, then it runs down the finalists in order, or something like that? Seems odd to me that the site doesn't explain this more clearly (or at all.)

On 11/29/2023 at 3:46 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I assume that would be a Freewheelers pair 

On 12/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, Cozzie said:

I just registered a pair of SOA03XX.  I’ve never done a fade comp.  Should be fun!

Looks like some nice vintage/repro pairs this year. Most of what i saw in that competition until now was ultra heavy and hyper tapered stuff. Good to see some other entires this year. 

On 12/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, Cold Summer said:

I'm giving more thought to the idea of entering with my TFH 1005s. Haven't decided yet for sure, but the prizes seem mighty nice.

How exactly are the prizes handed out, anyway? I couldn't find anything about it on the site. Isn't it like, the grand prize winner chooses five, then the runner up chooses two, third place one, then it runs down the finalists in order, or something like that? Seems odd to me that the site doesn't explain this more clearly (or at all.)

If you’re looking to win I think you’ll need 18oz and up. Something fast fading Like Oni, PBJ or samurai. Or live in tropical climate and push them thru the summer. 
the judges seem to like heavy ounce entries a lot. 
Lots of the podium pairs also looked too “good” to be true. Number 2 last year is a Japanese YouTuber kinda notorious for pushing a little extra hard for fades. In other words, I wouldn’t join to win. Very unlikely given how much it grew too.