Help! Work Christmas party!

bleedxslow

My work Christmas party is coming up at the end of November. It's a large event, about 500 people, and formal. The problem is, I can count the amount of times I've been to a formal event on one hand, and the times I did go, I didn't feel like I looked good at all. I have a difficult time translating my style from everyday street wear to something like this! And to make matters even worse, I've asked a girl I just started dating to come, and I don't want to look like a douche bag for her.

I work for a big cable/internet company, which is 99% nerds, so I know that most of the dudes will be wearing big, ill-fitting suits, and I definitely do not want to fall into that catergory. Is there anything some of you can suggest that would fit the 'formal' description that's not a boring black suit? Or, even if it is a suit, maybe a brand, or style I can look for? Shoes, accessories, everything! I'm in need of mega help!

Any suggestions are appreciated, I'm feeling very lost as to what direction to go in.

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure what size I am, like I said, not too experienced with this stuff!

Kasper, good point. I don't want to spend $2000 for one night, but I'm willing to pay what it takes to look decent. Something affordable, though.

Flame, what size are those suits? Maybe you can send me some pictures. Since we're both from Winnipeg, that might work out nicely. [email protected]

Any recommendations on local non-mall stores to check out in the mean time? I know that you're more into that style than I am...

Funny you mentioned IT, that's the department I work in. I am VERY sick of hearing about World of Warcraft every day! haha

Try this:

A slim black 2 button suit

A slim white shirt

A slim (not skinny!) tie

sharp black lace ups/slip ons

You can throw a black/grey/cool colored (such as yellowish/turqouiseish/maroonish) V neck into the equation.

Or try this:

Grey wool detailed pants

The same shirt and tie above

and either the sweater from above or a velvet blazer.

Notice how I mention slim for everything... this is very important. You do not have to spend a lot but if you are wearing a suit you want it to fit well and you will look better than 95% of the guys there just by wearing something that fits. some other simple but often neglected suit advice, make sure to show some cuff.

Also make sure to wear a nice belt and perhaps a dress watch (leather band)

see this for reference:

0010h.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what size I am, like I said, not too experienced with this stuff!

Kasper, good point. I don't want to spend $2000 for one night, but I'm willing to pay what it takes to look decent. Something affordable, though.

Flame, what size are those suits? Maybe you can send me some pictures. Since we're both from Winnipeg, that might work out nicely. [email protected]

Any recommendations on local non-mall stores to check out in the mean time? I know that you're more into that style than I am...

Funny you mentioned IT, that's the department I work in. I am VERY sick of hearing about World of Warcraft every day! haha

Don't buy anything from them, but feel free to use Men's Warehouse's free measuring service to get your neck size/jacket size, etc., etc. That way you could shop online or go into a store knowing what you need in the first place. Although it is formal, it is, as you said, a bunch of computer nerds, so odds are they are going to wear whatever the hell they have in their closet, which could be a brown and purple pinstripe suit ;)

Thus, I don't think you should limit yourself to a black suit. I would get a light or dark grey suit, or a navy blue one and a pair of nice brown shoes (matching belt as well). I am not a huge fan of black shoes and suits unless I am going to a wedding or funeral. For a decent quality suit for a great price, search ebay for a Zegna suit in your size. You can get one for under $300 and get some alterations made so it fits you to your liking (most likely will cost under $50). If you have a Nordstrom Rack in your area, or a Loehmann's, go there for some cheap designer shoes. If you don't want to break the bank, but want some nice shoes you might consider:

http://www.shiptonandheneage.com/

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/usddefault

Cheers.

.......Yeah, and as someone said before - 2-button suit!!!!!!

These are exactly the suggestions I was looking for.

I'm going to take my measurements tonight when I get home from work, and then try the eBay route. Under $300 definitely sounds appealing! I'm also going to try local suit shops and try some stuff on, just to see what I like and don't like.

Maybe I'll post a pic of what I can come up with on the night of!

Thanks again!

Don't buy anything from them, but feel free to use Men's Warehouse's free measuring service to get your neck size/jacket size, etc., etc. That way you could shop online or go into a store knowing what you need in the first place. Although it is formal, it is, as you said, a bunch of computer nerds, so odds are they are going to wear whatever the hell they have in their closet, which could be a brown and purple pinstripe suit ;)

Thus, I don't think you should limit yourself to a black suit. I would get a light or dark grey suit, or a navy blue one and a pair of nice brown shoes (matching belt as well). I am not a huge fan of black shoes and suits unless I am going to a wedding or funeral. For a decent quality suit for a great price, search ebay for a Zegna suit in your size. You can get one for under $300 and get some alterations made so it fits you to your liking (most likely will cost under $50). If you have a Nordstrom Rack in your area, or a Loehmann's, go there for some cheap designer shoes. If you don't want to break the bank, but want some nice shoes you might consider:

http://www.shiptonandheneage.com/

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/usddefault

Cheers.

.......Yeah, and as someone said before - 2-button suit!!!!!!

Fair enough on the black, but for formal I think black looks so slick with black shoes. I do however like other colour suits too and every man needs a nice pair of brown shoes. Don't limit your self to black but consider it because it looks sharp.

I really like the look of some of the grey Zegna suits on eBay. Unfortunately I can't find any jacket / pants combos in my size. Can anyone suggest another brand that might be worth looking at? What are the pleats on the back of the jacket called? I'd prefer a flat back jacket, is that common?

Still have 2 months, so I'm not stressing too hard just yet! It's an open bar event though, hope I still have a job after this! ;)

I really like the look of some of the grey Zegna suits on eBay. Unfortunately I can't find any jacket / pants combos in my size. Can anyone suggest another brand that might be worth looking at? What are the pleats on the back of the jacket called? I'd prefer a flat back jacket, is that common?

Still have 2 months, so I'm not stressing too hard just yet! It's an open bar event though, hope I still have a job after this!

Well, what size jacket do you wear? If you don't know: how tall/heavy are you? Certain suitmakers make suits that generally look better on heavier people, some make them for slimmer people.......it would help to know your size.

Flat black is very common.

Okay, so you are a 38R - 40R (which just so happens to be my size as well).

I would, however, go with a 38R as considering your height and weight, would fit you a little better. I am 6' 175 lbs. and I rarely wear a 40R (they are usually too big).

In regards to your comment on e-bay suits, don't forget that you can always alter pants, so if a suit is a 38r and you like it, but the pants are 29 x 34 you can always take the waist out a couple of inches (ask the seller if there is fabric to do so; often, if pants are custom tailored the excess may be 'cut' out). If the pants are too short, ask the seller how many inches they can be taken out (again, they may have had them 'cut' short, in which case you couldn't take them back out). You will also need to know your sleeve measurements, which will be included in the auction description as well.

Some brands to consider which you MAY find for under $500 include:

- Isaia (may be more $$)

- Corneliani (may be more $$)

- Zegna

- Ralph Lauren

My advice would also be to consider that the infamous "Black Friday" sales will be happening in a month (the day after Thanksgiving); so you may want to hit up your local Saks, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, etc. at that time......

Another piece of advice would be to consider Charles Tyrwhitt, as mentioned before for shoes. Their suits are generally decently priced to start with, but you could try this:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/search.aspx?DepGrpCode=CLE&level1=Clearance

Also, go to a nice department store and try on some different brands; see what fits you best, then go on the net. Check Sierratradingpost.com as Flame said as well.

Basil, you're right about suits in Winnipeg. Way over priced for suits that don't even look good. The young guy that helped me at Harry Rosen had the best fitting suit, but it was custom. I guess it's no dice unless you're going to drop alot of money. At least I know for sure I want a 2 button, and I'm a 38R, maybe even 36.

Off to eBay!

i like the sweater, slacks, button down, tie, idea, and you can do it in varying degrees of brown (like a ribbed edging dark brown cashmere v neck, chocolate pants, light beige button down, dark gold tie, polished chocolate dress shoes) for a sort of nerdy professor look, or go moncromatic black and white (black v neck, white bottown down, charcoal tie, black slacks, black shoes) for a more slick look.