Power Pop saved my life (and marriage)!

Carl

mmm. i know none of these bands. should i? my scene points just went down.

Zero "scene" points involved with any of these bands. Just sugary sweet poppy goodness.

And poly, yeah i sort of agree with you, but i think they tow the line pretty well.

yeah, i feel like power pop is such a broad category. It spans so many years and what is and isn't power pop is completely up to the listener. , everyone major rock band has a "pop" album. ie. i'd consider weezer as power pop but some people think that's emo, others just say that's rock, and what you listed the lily's as power pop, i've not really listened to their later stuff but in the presence of nothing is one of the defining shoegaze records of the nineties, and thus the pigeonhole of shoegaze for the lily's for me. but yeah, even loveless could i guess be considered "power pop" too as every fucking song on it is a pop song, and the guitars are very powerful.

Big Star makes everything more enjoyable.

Hells yes.

yeah, i feel like power pop is such a broad category. It spans so many years and what is and isn't power pop is completely up to the listener. , everyone major rock band has a "pop" album. ie. i'd consider weezer as power pop but some people think that's emo, others just say that's rock, and what you listed the lily's as power pop, i've not really listened to their later stuff but in the presence of nothing is one of the defining shoegaze records of the nineties, and thus the pigeonhole of shoegaze for the lily's for me. but yeah, even loveless could i guess be considered "power pop" too as every fucking song on it is a pop song, and the guitars are very powerful.

Yeah, good point. Its certainly not a "sub genre". It spans a large amount of music.

Whoever all these bands are: they suck.

:D

icon13.gif

i always assumed power pop referred to bands or albums within each genre that had powerful yet simple melodies and rhythms.

but yeah, even loveless could i guess be considered "power pop" too as every fucking song on it is a pop song, and the guitars are very powerful.

i agree....