iPod

c

The fact that I can put so much stuff on it. That's the best thing (I have the 40GB model). I wish there was a bookmark feature. I've been getting into audiobooks lately, but if you sync it to recharge it, when you take it out again, it's not at the place where it was last (audiobooks have lots of files). I also wish the remote had a screen with info on the track playing (like on MD players). I like to listen in shuffle mode, and there's often some stuff playing that I forgot I had, and don't really know what song it is, or from what album, and to find out I need to take the iPod out of the case I use.

Jean Snow

http://jeansnow.net

the remote is totally retarded. for a company that places so much emphasis on usability you have no idea what is going on. is it playing? is it stopped? did you just press play, or change the volume? did you skip to the next track, or to the beginning of the current track?

just one pissy bump is suppossed to be able to guide you. plus it cant really attach to anything with that dicky attachor thing.

and, why have 40gb of songs in your pocket, but to see what is playing you have to pull your ipod out and look at it? why not have a little display on the remote like every MD on the planet? all that id3 tag info goes to waste.

and the sony md's at least give an audio feedback when you stop/pause/play/next/prev etc. i dont know what is going on with my ipod, and i have to pull it out of my bag/pocket to look at it.

jean... you can always check your recent played smart playlist to get your recent tracks... but nothing beats a fucking screen.

oh... and i want to have my movies and pictures (synced with iphoto) and just plug it into the tv for slideshows.

i also wish there was a pitch control so i could dj with it, and i wish i could crossfade tracks when i listen (like i can with itunes).

i also wish the battery life was longer, and it was solar/wirelessly powered so i never had to charge it. and i wish it had a colour screen and showed the album cover of the song that was playing.

I agree with everything you said chad. I threw the remote in the garbage within the first 24 hours i think. From what i've been reading on the Mac boards, there should be lot's of impressive things coming by the end of the year. Some obvious interface/GUI things could really make the ipod perfect. Things I would add to it are the following.

-Make the screen the whole size of the ipod, and get rid of all the buttons, and make it controllable by touching the screen. Even voice control would be great.

-Full Quicktime functionality. There are countless times when I would love to have an ipod/quicktime portfolio of my work handy to show to people. It would also be perfect to convert dvd's into mpeg4 and be able to play it on the train...etc...etc.

-Make it bluetooth, so that you could beam vcards to people.

-PDF functionality.

-Lots of people have been saying add a phone to the ipod. I don't know if I like that idea. I think apple were very smart when they made it simple and efficient. Plus, the moment it get's too complicated, then I'd say your consumer market changes.

Ken.

Yeah! Perfect Timing!! I dropped my ipod this morning (I have the first generation, 5 gig), and the jog dial and center button went flying off! After i retrived all the parts, and quickly put them all back together, low and behold! Britney was still singing "Toxic"!!! This is the 2nd time I've really dropped it (outside, on the sidewalk), and it keeps on ticking!!

I've pre-ordered the mini (physical size is more important to me that hd size)... that was my one minor complaint, the ipod is big (relatively speaking, of course) and heavy. I also don't like "ejecting" it from my computer... My canon digicam can be unpluged without "ejecting" it.

oh... i think the new mini ipod is brilliant.

the other ipods are a little too big to take everywhere all the time. (unless you want to wear the poindexter belt clip). the mini could always be with you.. like a cell phone because the size is just right.

and moving the buttons onto the dial further simplifies things. you never have to take your finger off. i love apple.

ipod_wheel.jpg

Edited by chad on Feb 3, 2004 at 06:40 PM

• 4 weeks later...

i wish apple would give us some better materials. a scratch-friendly screen and buttons with a stratch-friendly steel back? come on, you don't want to stick it into some case or skin... we bought our ipods because they're gorgeous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

comp0304ipod_A2_515.jpg

* NOTE...DON'T CRY TO ME IF YOU MESS UP YOUR IPOD DOING THIS. I'M JUST SPREADING THE KNOWLEDGE. GOOD LUCK, AND BE CAREFUL.

1. Replacing the battery

Using a small flat tool, begin prying open the case. Then wedge the tool inside and use another to undo the case clips.

2. With the case off,

use the same tool to gently pry the battery (left) from the hard drive.

3. Gently pull

the power cable to disconnect the battery from the iPod. Do not remove the rubber pad on the hard drive.

4. Now plug in

the new battery, place it over the original glue spots on the hard drive and snap the case back on, bottom-first.

5. With the iPod reassembled,

plug it in and charge the new battery for 3 hours to find out if you have a resurrected 'Pod or a real pretty paper weight.

Things to know if your battery begins to die:

The AppleCare Protection Plan for the iPod extends your warranty by one year and costs $60. If the battery (or anything else) fails in that period, Apple will fix your iPod for free.

Apple does not return your iPod when it replaces the battery; it sends a refurbished model instead. For $68, pdasmart.com will install a third-party battery and give you your iPod back.

While new Apple batteries have a claimed run time of 8 hours, Neistat's third-party replacement lasted only 6 to 7 hours.

New iPods are harder to crack open than earlier models. No word yet on how hard it is to bust open an iPod Mini. (Update: the Mini has been cracked. Read about it here.)

Edited by sepia007 on Apr 1, 2004 at 12:03 AM

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...