Selvage

thinkfilm28

so is there any benefit to selvedge aside from it looking good when you cuff the jeans. I don't own any selvedge, and while i do cuff jeans a lot, its not because of style, its because i bought my jeans too long...

is there any extra durability to having a selvedge v. a safety stitched hem, cause if i could ever buy jeans that were actually the right length for me, i'd probably not want to cuff them..., and i don't want to shell out for selvedge if i have to cuff the jeans to get the benefit of it.

so is there any benefit to selvedge aside from it looking good when you cuff the jeans. I don't own any selvedge, and while i do cuff jeans a lot, its not because of style, its because i bought my jeans too long...

is there any extra durability to having a selvedge v. a safety stitched hem, cause if i could ever buy jeans that were actually the right length for me, i'd probably not want to cuff them..., and i don't want to shell out for selvedge if i have to cuff the jeans to get the benefit of it.

this is the stupidest thread i've seen here in a long while.

all of thise information is available in about 100 other places on this board

Guest Fade to Black

I'm not a fan of any of those American 'premium' brands so perhaps my opinion is slightly skewed, I dunno I just have a strong dislike for that stuff, usually it's not tasteful and sometimes when it is I just fail to see beyond my bias to appreciate it.

Gucci did a pretty non-traditional selvedge indigo denim this season that didn't really have a reason to be selvedge, it wasn't a stiff raw jean, rather really soft to the touch...otherwise I think that model is acceptable, the color is similar to the shade of indigo Diors retain once they've been washed.

Aparently you are pretty ignorant about Raw Selvage denim.

no, he's right to some extent...selvedge today is more and more a marketing ploy, especially when it comes to the high fashion brands releasing shuttle loomed denim.

there is the historical aspect of it, which is similar to the "supertrad" idea cheapmuthrfukr came up with - companies do it out of respect to the history of denim, and people buy it as an extra touch of authenticity, but even the supposed reproductions today by japanese denim companies are usually modified copies of the originals.

basically raw and selvedge have nothign to do with each other - there is no difference in quality whether selvedge or nonselvedge, and certainly does not justify a price increase solely because of the presence of selvedge. however, such as in the case of nudie, selvedge is accompanied by much better denim, making the prices a result of better workmanship put into the jean as well as the feel-good factor of having that selvedge line.

and not to hate, but this has been mentioned many many times on the boards. let me get back to you with some threads of interest...

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=771 (ringring, largely)

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=2415 (superslim, Paul T, ringring, spitzberg, urban_sprawl)

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=15138 (ringspinning and selvedge and quality)