Business of Raw

HEWSINATOR

^^^cmy makes a good point in that raw denim is slowly getting popular in the mainstream for it's dark, clean look and rigid feeling, and not because of its unique fading properties. I honestly don't think that the average american consumer will wear raw denim like the way it is worn by the people here on SuFu. Wearing jeans for it's fading properties requires too much time, effort, and patience on the part of the average consumer so it's unlikely to be the new cool thing to do. If there is a company that can produce jeans that can give good results in say two months with pre set creases and what not, then wearing jeans for the fade might become popular, but other than that, I don't see this becoming a huge trend.

HEWSINATOR' date=' I just kinda stumbled accross this thread...and needed to share a story about High Grade Clothing in Edmonton.

High Grade cracks me up. I was in there about 6 months ago, lookin' at what they had for raw denim. This sales guy comes up to me to 'educate' me on raw denim. He goes into this rant about how the trick to wearing raw jeans is to wear off the resin (he was talking about nudies) that is painted on them. I'm like "heh??" He continues "ya, Nudie paints all their jeans with resin, wear them for like 1 or 2 months without a wash and it wears off."

He proceeded to point at my jeans (2 year old Nudies washed twice) and tell me that they used to carry that wash before. I pointed at the dry selvage on the table "you still do".[/quote']

Funny story. I am from Edmonton as well. Highgrade is one of the few shops we have with a decent selection of Nudies and a bunch of fashion denim. Hence why I shop online or on hollidays. I love your story. How did he respond and what did the guy look like?

I'll just throw in my 2 cents here by echoing what has already been said: mainstream will only buy into it because it's a darker, unwashed jean that looks totally different from what they're used to wearing. that's IT. unless it is an easily-recognized status symbol or part of a new trend, there are no other reasons why mainstream america would want it.

Raw and wash switch places every few years or so in popularity. In the late 90's it was raw that was popular. In the mid 2000's it became wash. Now it's back to raw. Modern fashion changes so much faster these days. Women's fashion can change in a matter of months. men's fashion is a bit slower. Like miz said, when raw was in fashion, it was only because everyone was feeling the dark color. When it got a little wear on it, they would buy new raw jeans.

I don't think that buying a pair of raw jeans for the sole purpose of wearing them out will ever be in fashion. Most mainstream consumers don't have the time or patience to wait a year or two to achieve that beautiful fade. They want whatever is popular now. If it's distressed or raw then thats what they will buy.

If you ask the average person on the street if they know anything about raw denim and wear, I don't think you would find someone that gave 2 shits about it. Even all the hiphop artists that wear raw, only rock it because it looks crispy. They aren't trying to get some dope combs or whiskers.

HEWSINATOR' date=' I just kinda stumbled accross this thread...and needed to share a story about High Grade Clothing in Edmonton.

[/quote']haha almost the exact same thing happened to me at high grade. I went in looking to try on some Acnes and a sales person tried to sell me on "the hottest new brand" ie Nudie. I pointed to my svens that I'd worn a year and de-branded and his eyes bugged out.

High grade is an utter cesspool. All the salespeople there are the type of elitist wannabe super-hipster scum who deserve to be shot into the sun. At least the people at Gravity Pope are friendly!

ps sup edmonton people

Funny story. I am from Edmonton as well. Highgrade is one of the few shops we have with a decent selection of Nudies and a bunch of fashion denim. Hence why I shop online or on hollidays. I love your story. How did he respond and what did the guy look like?

Honestly, I don't think he got it...he just looked at the new pair and nervously giggled as if I were trying to make a joke.

He was a younger guy, don't wanna identify him too much, help him save face.

haha almost the exact same thing happened to me at high grade. I went in looking to try on some Acnes and a sales person tried to sell me on "the hottest new brand" ie Nudie. I pointed to my svens that I'd worn a year and de-branded and his eyes bugged out.

High grade is an utter cesspool. All the salespeople there are the type of elitist wannabe super-hipster scum who deserve to be shot into the sun. At least the people at Gravity Pope are friendly!

ps sup edmonton people

Couldn't have said it better myself! I've found them to be rather pretentious as well, I refuse to put on the cool act when I go in that store.

Gravity Pope is fantastic in that fact that the sales people are normal and treat you like a human being.

Nice to see a few Edmonton people kickin' around!

High Grade cracks me up. I was in there about 6 months ago, lookin' at what they had for raw denim. This sales guy comes up to me to 'educate' me on raw denim. He goes into this rant about how the trick to wearing raw jeans is to wear off the resin (he was talking about nudies) that is painted on them. I'm like "heh??" He continues "ya, Nudie paints all their jeans with resin, wear them for like 1 or 2 months without a wash and it wears off."

He proceeded to point at my jeans (2 year old Nudies washed twice) and tell me that they used to carry that wash before. I pointed at the dry selvage on the table "you still do".[/quote']

^touche sir

Wow, what the bump of an old thread.

Tion, great story. I refuse to even enter High Grade anymore. Their return policy always pissed me off, pretty much made it such that if you were traveling over the holidays, you could not give or be given something from there, because you would miss the time frame of exchange or store credit only. And then, the other day, they asked me to check my bag at the door, this was the smallest Gap bag, with a tee in it. I was told it is store policy to get customers to check all of their bags. I said that was stupid, and they are the only store in the world's biggest mall that makes people do this.

^ thats lame, but didnt you say that people mistaked you for a bum in a hopistal once? That could explain why they felt they had to check your bag

Don't recall saying that, or a time where that would be possible, anyhow, if you do not want to accept my business in a manner that EVERY other store does, then I do not care to give it to you.