Pardon my "Fashion Ignorance" But WHY would this cost $55,000?

CaliStyle

They said on Channel E! that this dresss Tyra Banks wore to the Emmys yesterday cost $55,000

wtf what in the world?

why??

its fitting her in all the right places but does the cost come from the labor?? couldnt be from the fabric,

but even if it was the labor what would justify $55,000!

18814tyrabanks58thannualprimetimeemmyawardsarrivals04uy0.jpg

71726412rb6.jpg

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't cost anything like that. Publicity is everything, and making shit up always works.

i see where u are coming from but ive heard of other couture pieces costing that much . i just dont understand what kind of labor would justify that much money

it's not simply labor, you are paying that amount to be the only one with that dress, and Tyra 99.9% likely doesn't own the dress, it was probably just on loan to her though it potentially could have been given to her for publicities sake

I don't know who made the dress but that's how prestigious houses work

it's not simply labor, you are paying that amount to be the only one with that dress, and Tyra 99.9% likely doesn't own the dress, it was probably just on loan to her though it potentially could have been given to her for publicities sake

I don't know who made the dress but that's how prestigious houses work

Karl Lagerfeld or something?

probably 55 Grand for his idea/design and shit.. whatever

i see where u are coming from but ive heard of other couture pieces costing that much . i just dont understand what kind of labor would justify that much money

55,000 isn't a particularly expensive true couture gown, it would be very possible to spend 200,000 at Christian LaCroix for example and he's one of the newest couturier's in the fashion world, Certainly Valentino, Dior, Chanel, Pucci and several others all will make gowns in excess of 200,000 (the market is just very small for them)

I remember reading an article recently posted here about Olivier Theyskins having to leave Rochas because of the lack of plausible reasons to sell such absurdly expensive dresses / clothes, basically.

Honestly, I bet you could have a no-name tailor spend a whole month designing a dress for you for maybe 10 thousand, and I bet it would be of absolutely comparable quality if you found someone who knew what they were doing.

Maybe 20 thousand. I don't really know what I'm talking about, I'm just tossing out theories. Someone correct me.

I doubt she actually PAID for it. It was probably given to her and when you give something that you made you can freaking say it worth whatever the hell you want. Tyra Banks probably has not paid for an artical of clothing in 20 years. IF anything the designer paid her 50k to wear the damn thing.