lets talk watches

poopie boy

What am i then?

Just to remind you, i'm non-jap, non-asian, but Grand Seiko wearing.

yeah i know. i guess i'll give u a pass cause u own more than one time piece, right?

too me, seiko and grand seiko is kind of a salaryman watch. should be worn while bbqing, at a metal show, whilst camping, in the pool/jacuzi, in the sauna, etc. you get me.

I dont know if I could rock a 100k watch while bbqing or in the sauna

100K?

We're talking about Grand Seiko here...

First off, I know absolutely nothing about watches. I always liked the look of Panerai but after reading throught this thread it seems like the opinion is that their movement and make don't justify the price? Anyway, I came across this brand call U-Boat and really like the look of their watches. Most retail around the 2-4K mark. Does anybody have any experience or opinions on these watches? Movement? Make? Durability? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'll start with this-

ap4-1.jpg

(as seen a few pages back in the collections page). I recommend this watch to anyone with the means to purchase it. By far the best design (in my opinion) of any other watch in the past century, and with a name like audemars piguet, you get top notch quality.

secondly-

watch2.jpg

of course I have a u-boat... Don't wear it at all, but looks cool. I'd recommend it if you want a huge 50mm+ diameter watch.

watch4.jpg

watch5.jpg

As for panerai, well- I love them. I have a 183g pam radiomir, a 177 titanium, and the all elusive 127 "fiddy", which beyond the Audemars, is my favorite watch!

hope that helps

First off, I know absolutely nothing about watches. I always liked the look of Panerai but after reading throught this thread it seems like the opinion is that their movement and make don't justify the price? Anyway, I came across this brand call U-Boat and really like the look of their watches. Most retail around the 2-4K mark. Does anybody have any experience or opinions on these watches? Movement? Make? Durability? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

U-Boat is garbage. Some dude found some designs and fabricated the history for a Panerai rip. Panerai is already over rated, and then you got the Euro douchebags rockin' U-Boat.

U-Boat only recently started using more Swiss ETA, they have a lot of quartz models. For a watch that is 50mm and you use quartz? Lame-o. They have also had some QC problems. I have seen some pretty poorly lumed dials from U-Boat.

Tmccarthy41 - Nice Roo. Can't afford AP just yet, but ROOs are def on the short list.

wow this thread moved fast today. but it was fun watching Montreal insist that everyone else knows nothing about watches, digging himself deeper and deeper while all he had to do was a quick google search on seiko. dude actually thought seikos were all quartz? maybe he was confusing casio (which i'm guessing even also has a couple autos)?

but i do agree with him over tmccarthy41 that the navitermer isn't tacking and most of the bentlys are.

tmccarthy - your collection is expensive, and that's about the only complement i can give it. i'm definitely jealous of it, but with the exception of the AP (which design's i happen to find ugly), it's like you read a watch article in GQ, realized you were loaded, and bought every watch they told you was nice. and now you have what every i-banking douche in new york has. and i'm not saying i wouldn't buy any one or two of the pieces that you have. i'd get a daytona or a uboat. and i understand brand loyalty. and to each his own, etc... but the mere fact that you have all those watches without branching out into some more interesting brands is kind of frustrating. why not get a VC, a port, a Uyssle, a Lange, etc etc.? i get the feeling (without knowing you at all, which i admit is unfair), that you won't because the average person won't know how much they're worth. getting noticed by the 1 out of 100 in a bar that recognizes a blancpain is a lot cooler to me than getting noticed by the other 99 that recognize a PAM because p. diddy has one.

but honestly, i'm just jealous.

dude..what'd be the cheapest way to buy cartier tank solo....

yeah it's cheaper than most of you'd consider buying,,,but I wanna save as much money as possible you know...

Should I just walk into local AD and offer to pay cash? avoiding tax and what not?

the cheapest way would be to get a used one on tz or something. most of the places in the city won't do the cash discount thing, except for chinatown.

just saw this if you're interested

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=4027634&rid=76332#msg_4027634

not sure if the price is good b/c i have no idea what the retail on these things are.

^^^That's disappointing to hear, but thanks for the input. Any recommendations for watches that have a similar look to Panerai/U-boat and have a quality make? Thanks.

Do a search for "marina militare" on Ebay and you can get some sterile (no Panerai) Panerai style watches. Asian Eta 6497 is just as good as Swiss. But those sterile dials lack good lume (there is no way they can afford luminova at that price). Watches are pretty solid and use some money to get a nice thick strap. It turns the watch into a beast. Also avoid PVD cases. They PVD a case with out bead blasting it first and it looks gloosy and not matte. However, if you don't mind the look I say go for it.

As for entry level I say Hamilton Khaki, Marathon SAR (think Rolex Sub), Seiko Monster, Seiko Samurai, pretty much any Seiko Automatic Diver will kick the shit out of any sub 1.5k dive watch (with the exception of Sinn U1, and U2, and maybe Oris).

For the dude asking for Cartier Tank - Any Asian AD will get you 20% from the get. I got 30% plus tax, BUT on AE (this is quite a feat as most only take Visa and MC) last Christmas for my girl's tank.

The "marina militare" watches on ebay are actually well made, because they are really cheap. Are they just rips of Panerai? Thanks for the info idd, really appreciate it.

For the most part they are well made. Panerai is grossly overpriced and hugely overhyped. This might not pass the rigors of Richemont QC, but it can take a beating and then some. Go to strapculture.com to get yourself a nice strap and it'll look good. Or just check paneristi.com and look for a good deal on a Savage strap, or maybe ammo strap.

wow this thread moved fast today. but it was fun watching Montreal insist that everyone else knows nothing about watches, digging himself deeper and deeper while all he had to do was a quick google search on seiko. dude actually thought seikos were all quartz? maybe he was confusing casio (which i'm guessing even also has a couple autos)?

but i do agree with him over tmccarthy41 that the navitermer isn't tacking and most of the bentlys are.

tmccarthy - your collection is expensive, and that's about the only complement i can give it. i'm definitely jealous of it, but with the exception of the AP (which design's i happen to find ugly), it's like you read a watch article in GQ, realized you were loaded, and bought every watch they told you was nice. and now you have what every i-banking douche in new york has. and i'm not saying i wouldn't buy any one or two of the pieces that you have. i'd get a daytona or a uboat. and i understand brand loyalty. and to each his own, etc... but the mere fact that you have all those watches without branching out into some more interesting brands is kind of frustrating. why not get a VC, a port, a Uyssle, a Lange, etc etc.? i get the feeling (without knowing you at all, which i admit is unfair), that you won't because the average person won't know how much they're worth. getting noticed by the 1 out of 100 in a bar that recognizes a blancpain is a lot cooler to me than getting noticed by the other 99 that recognize a PAM because p. diddy has one.

Friend-

I take the jealousy as a compliment, thanks. however as for "branching off" into different brands, I have. I've owned a VC perpetual calender, a Ulysse Nardin marine diver, a couple glashuttes, a paul picot c-type chronometer, a myriad of pams, rolexes, and cartiers, and many others (shall I elaborate?) I collect watches- first & foremost. I trade with others, sell mine, and buy from others. I could care less WHO has what, I buy for the fact of what I like PERIOD.

OH, and you should see my art collection! I hear Brad Pitt collects Banksy- WOW I have a few of those too!!!

I apologize that your income prohibits you from buying some of the watches I own, don't hate, champion- appreciate.

Thanks

I would trade all those watches for one lange in a heartbeat. The thing about high end watches though is that the people that buy them are usually people that are genuinely interested in horology and the history behind the timepieces. Rich people who don't know/aren't interested just go out and buy rolexs and cartiers.

Check "the purist" forums. I've been lurking there for years and the guys over there are on par with the denimheads on sufu when it comes to zeal.

With a budget of $200-$400, what is the best bang for the buck (specific watch or watch brand), out there? Preferably automatic movement.

Been researching for the same. Eric helped, and has been trying to talk me into getting a Hamilton when I had told him I was considering Ollech and Wajs watches (worn by the Americans during the Vietnam war when they were given some crappy Timex pieces). Still, check O&W out bc they're quality for cheap, but the dials could be better. Then it really matters on what kinda style you're seeking... I've been on a pilot/military kick, so I've been looking deep into Archimede, which is a German watch with Swiss parts. They're supposed to be great for the money, and will run you about $400 or so.

For the same range, there's also Debaufre/Steinhart, Bernhardt, Precista, and so on... a lot of those will be $400+, but you can get a 2nd hand for your range. The main problem I've had is trying to find something small that appeals to me bc a lot of those watches run big for my wrist. In the end, a large determinant should be what looks good to you bc most of the movements in that range (and even up) will be the same ETA 2824 and Unitas 6497, just gotta make sure its Swiss and not Asian steez. Seikos have that 7S26A deal, which is supposed to be decent for the inexpensive price on their watches. And I guess the sapphire crystal finish, and other nitty gritty deets would be second to the movement...

(watch guys, feel free to correct me)

Thanks for the response. I've been considering both Seiko or Hamilton, but I've also taken an interest in a Citizen, not an automatic though.

What kind of watch are you looking for? Theres plenty of good dive and military watches in and around that price range. The seiko dive watches are really great for the money and there are whole forums dedicated to modding them (check out http://www.bobthayerjr.com/ to see what I mean). Olech and wajs are also great for the money and with models like the M6 Im sure you will get many uninitiated people mistaking them for a rolex (added balla factor!).

If you want super mil/stealth steeze go with something like KHS, Traser or Luminox, those are afforable and very often used by military personnel today. Some models are quartz, but there are definitely models with a swiss movement within your budget.

Check out these sites

http://www.westcoastime.com/

http://www.broadarrow.net/

http://gnomonwatches.com/

i just recently ordered a pam homage from exclusive_watches_inc on egay.

not really sure why getting one seems ok considering its just a replica watch, but i guess i was turned on by the fact that it wasn't branded. i should have it by tomorrow or so, hopefully.

Guest Montreal

Never once said that all Seikos are quartz. Never even implied it. I did, however, imply that you cannot compare a $200 Seiko to a $2,000 Tachymeter, irrespective of whether or not you think Tag is the Coach of watches.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

OH, and you should see my art collection! I hear Brad Pitt collects Banksy- WOW I have a few of those too!!!

I apologize that your income prohibits you from buying some of the watches I own, don't hate, champion- appreciate.

Thanks

oh my god, why don't you stop beating around the bush and just post a screen cap of your bank account statement. :rolleyes: or prove to everyone how much cash you got by buying me that LV :)

Never once said that all Seikos are quartz. Never even implied it. I did, however, imply that you cannot compare a $200 Seiko to a $2,000 Tachymeter, irrespective of whether or not you think Tag is the Coach of watches.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

i think the amount of people who called you out proves my point, but here's a summary from what i remember: (1) someone suggests a seiko over a tag (2) you say that you wouldn't want a quartz seiko over an auto tag. why assume he was talkin about a quartz, when clearly the reference was to seikos of the same or better quality than tags, unless of course you didn't know they existed until (3) numerous posters pointed out your stupidity.

if you'd like me to go back and pull your quotes, just let me know. clown.

Lurk a lot, but had to jump in.

Tag is a piece of shit.

Seiko is a beast, and is highly underrated. Started with the Samurai Diver, and then moved on to Marinemaster.

Seiko Grand is just as smooth as Rolex, if not smoother.

Seiko Spring Drive Spacewalk is doing it. If Tag spent as much time as Seiko in R&D they could cure cancer.