RRL Rodeo Ralph Lauren

narin

I thought all of the new ones were selvedge, but I could be wrong...I vaguely recall seeing a non-selvedge pair, but they were hideous anyway...not something people here would wear, selvedge or not.

Tried on some of the "Slim Bootcut" on last week...I don't know if it's because I was trying on a size too small, but they seemed very slim to me, and didn't seem to have too much of a boot cut. Does anyone know if they changed the cuts at all with this new roll-out?

• 3 weeks later...

Update on RRL's i posted a couple posts up:

They were my first experiment with selvage jeans.

After about 3 months of owning the jeans, and wearing them everyday for the last 5 weeks. I starch them with heavy duty starch. Ride my mountain bike 30 mns everyday, whiskers forming in front, knee is fading.

- soaked them inside out in hot boiling salty water overnight . Water turned yellow-ish

- high spin cycle in washer

- hung dry inside out

Came out softer. I like it that way.

I'll post the pics later on tonite.

I was one of the many unsuspecting dupes who, prior to learning about it on the denim boards, bought the RRL jeans from the whacked out series.

It was really frustrating, ‘cause the denim was really excellent, and the cut -- aside from the whacked waistband -- was equally excellent. Mine were the slim bootcut.

I was really pissed off about it, as, being way out here on the Pak-Afghan border, it wasn't like I could do a return. But, rather than stay too pissed off, I put my ill-fated purchases into a drawer and simply moved on to other brands.

BUT, as I am winding down my tour in Talibanistan, I pulled them out and thought I might as well toss them to a local tailor. I figured them as a loss, anyway, so, what the heck? Either that or use 'em as packing material.

One of my staff guys dragged me off to a small market saying some little old guy in a dark, dingy shop was THE man for alterations. Sure, I said. Jean waistbands are not easy to do right, I said. Well, I like little old guys in dingy shops, so.., sure. In any event, they were turned over. I was told to come back the next day. .. which I did.

At first, I simply could not find where he’d done any cut or work, at all. Then I found it, under the leather patch. The patch didn’t look like it’d even been removed, yet it clearly HAD to have been. And, I scoured in vain to find any other evidence of changed stitching. His work was invisible! In sum, the work was unbelievably perfect. I now have a pair of un-whacked RRL selvedge denim jeans that will go into primary rotation. I've always said the denim was great. Now I don't have to say, BUT...

Oh, the best part: The bill was $2.25, paid in Pakistani rupees. Actually, the bill was the equivalent of $1.50. The difference was in change I couldn't take. :cool:

related story: I bought a pair of RRL slim fits last year but ended up selling them off because they were crushing my bladder... ever since I sold them off, though, I've always wanted a pair that fit because like many others have said the denim quality is right up there with all of the other japanese repros.

So I bought another pair of slimfits (in my size, hopefully) the other day and am eagerly awaiting them...

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a pair of RRL's off Ebay and after reading this thread up and down I can't figure out what the fuck I bought. Im a size 32, I bought a 34 and they fit like a 36, but that's not the weird part. The big waist can be taken in and they'll fit perfect, they have redline selvedge, definatley made in the USA and are 19cm -> Ive never seen hank dyed jeans in person before but these bitches got indigo to spare, anyone ever heard of RRL's like this? (Oh yea the patch is a dark dark brown).

windsor, ontario....god i feel bad for you. dr. disc still there? used to find some killer rare punk records there 10 years ago.

topgrain leather and its very dark, ive heard somewhere before that RRLs are hank dyed and the indigo is just caked on these, they fit nice too, bigger thighs with a taper down to 7.5inches

great nightlife if you're into drunk 19 year old americans. it's probably the americans and more specifically the americans from detroit (and it's proximity to detroit) that make this town suck so hard. have to give windsor credit for hosting minor threat on their brief first tour, introducing me to the best indian food i've EVER had, having amazing views of zug island (detroits version of gary indiana) and the detroit skyline from it's beautiful riverwalk and being the city which made it very clear that i wasn't welcome back in my favorite country of canada for awhile.

yes it is, windsor is a nasty filthy little place

• 1 month later...

not sure what i bought from Cali

5 pocket bootcuts with a blue selvedge

4 button fly? i've only read about snugglepony's zipfly blue selvedge, are these from the same year/period?

tag reads:

made in japan

100% cotton

lot 001

RN 41381

30 x 32

if you care (finger pointing right)

the funny thing i was wondering what the finger meant, until i noticed it was pointing straight at the care instructions tag on the side of the waistband.

an interesting thing about that tag is the bit where it reads:

made in japan

made for/fait pour

polocco SAS

b.p.477

75366 paris cedex 08

france

is this something everyone else has as well? what's with RRL and the french connection? :confused:

not sure what i bought from Cali

5 pocket bootcuts with a blue selvedge

4 button fly? i've only read about snugglepony's zipfly blue selvedge, are these from the same year/period?

Button fly? I don't think I've ever seen the button fly model from this period. Pics please. Otherwise, you've got a pair of the earlier generation RRL's. I've got two pairs with the same tags, blue selvage, etc. but zips on both.

What's the verdict on your pair? Always curious to hear what people think of the fit, hairy denim, etc.

Here's what you have to look forward to in 10 months, 3 washes:

6h60lev.jpg6giu742.jpg5ylnnko.jpg

Here's a side by side of a fresh pair vs. 10 months:

5yt9n4k.jpg

fit is good

not sure if it's because i have one size too big (hence the jeans sit lower than they are meant to) but i get a funny feeling of dropped crotch-edness. maybe a higher rise than i am used to?

but apart from that i dig the fit.

the jeans were second hand and have some wear on them mainly on the pockets and the hem (!! :mad:)

but the colour is largely there. fairly even texture on the dye, denim is similar to my skulls. not particularly hairy--but that's possibly because i have my supremely hairy eternals for comparison. :)

pics when i have more time

I don't know if I'd say "improved." Fit's about the same and sizing actually runs pretty normal but the hairy denim has been banished in favor of sheen APC-like denim. IMO they're more of an APC NS with tougher construction nowadays.

fit is good

not sure if it's because i have one size too big (hence the jeans sit lower than they are meant to) but i get a funny feeling of dropped crotch-edness. maybe a higher rise than i am used to?

but apart from that i dig the fit.

the jeans were second hand and have some wear on them mainly on the pockets and the hem (!! :mad:)

but the colour is largely there. fairly even texture on the dye, denim is similar to my skulls. not particularly hairy--but that's possibly because i have my supremely hairy eternals for comparison. :)

pics when i have more time

This gen had funky sizing so the waist should have measured 34" when new. My size 28 (originally 32") has now stretched out to 34" but the rise is still 10". Are you used to really low-rise stuff?

This gen had funky sizing so the waist should have measured 34" when new. My size 28 (originally 32") has now stretched out to 34" but the rise is still 10". Are you used to really low-rise stuff?

oh i daresay so. the 5010XX has a very nice crotch thing going as well. ;)

funny thing is the sizing isn't actually very far off. 30 x 32 fits me fine and i'm usually a 29/30.

details:

795988437_cdf6c81ba0_o.jpg

:(

795989053_f3b96c50dd_o.jpg

795987431_280ebad2a8_o.jpg

I agree with Whodini's assesment, as far as dating your jeans, TIP. My previous RRLs (the ones I sold off) had all of the details you're talking about. They were a size 25 tagged and I just barely squeezed into them, so I'd guess that they were actually a 29 or so (I"m usually a 30). As far as the dropped crotch thing goes, I am experiencing the same thing with the pair that I currently have, which is from the next gen after yours and is made in America. In my case, I think it's from sizing up one, definitely. Interesting to hear about how the crotch fits better on your skulls, as I was considering those as well, but couldn't resist snagging these RRLs for the price (around $70 DS NWT)

Whodini, nice to see the change in color... these look like they'll have a nice, "honest" color to them (not too washed out, and not super duper crazy dark like some other repro's) The only thing I don't really like about my pair is that when I put a belt on it, the waist band wrinkles up a bit (due to my sizing up one) which means I can't really tuck any shirts into them. But for the price, I think I can live with these being my casual Friday jeans (my Duckdiggers are a little too loud for an office environment and my Sugarcanes don't fit as lean and modern as the RRLs) If RRL ever went on sale here in NYC, I'd definitely think about picking up a pair of Raw Slims (especially with their nifty new back pocket design)

Edit: Detail Comparison between my old earlier gen RRLs and the ones I have now (this off the top of my head, maybe pics when I get time)

Pair #1:

Finger Pointing "If you care" tag

Top Grain Leather Patch with RRL logo branded in

No back pocket design stitches whatsoever

Blue-Green Selvedge line

button fly (can't remember how many buttons)

slightly hairy when raw (not as hairy as say, Sugarcane 47s)

Made in Japan

Pair #2:

Double Arrow tag on inside waistband

Rawhide Leather tag with RRL brand

small chainstitch RRL logo on upper right corner of right back pocket

Redline Selvedge (so yummy)

5 button fly (including top button)

Back of buttons stamped with RRL logo (an unexpected, yet much appreciated detail for this denim head)

print on inside of both sailcloth pockets with care instructions and proclaiming that they're made from "the finest Japanese Selvedge Denim" and sewn in the USA

Damn, I wish one of my pairs had a button zip...

Jubei, too bad about the crinkling. Although my waist has stretched out a bit, I'm still able to tuck without any problems. May seem obvious, but have you tried letting the belt out so that they sit lower on your waist?

As far as the color goes, I really like how the greenish tint is rather unusual and uncommon. It doesn't fade like 99% of the stuff out there and hell, it's rather hard to fade at all. I know I'm preaching to the choir but I've always regarded RRL as being very underrated simply because they don't come from a Japanese company or because they don't fade just from hanging in your closet.

Here's a better pic of fit/color taken about two months ago:

afit12jg5.jpg

I actually own a pair of RRL straight fit, that actually fit really slim. I have owned them for about two weeks and I am loving them.(<3them more than my APC NS) I did a salt water soak, actually, about three days ago. I'll post pictures if anyone's interested in seeing how they came out. :D