Shampoo / Hair Care Products

What kind of shampoo do you guys use?

is there really a noticible difference from the cheap store brands (ie- suave) to the more expensive salon products (ie- redken) ?

what other products do you guys use to take care or style your hair?

im not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but i know a lot of the members here take good care of themselves.

You really don't need to spend $25 on some Bumble & Bumble shit unless you have completely unmanageable hair that needs insanely special attention. However, Suave is not recommended as it is cheap and does not moisturize/repair correctly. You really should by some Neutrogena T-Gel to use every 2-3 days and on off days just buy some Head & Shoulders, or Pantene, etc. You can blow $15 on some shampoo and I am sure it will be great, but you don't 'need' to spend that much. Either way, I think Suave is the only one to avoid.

Wow. Once or twice a week. That's some hardcore shit.

Not necessarily; it is vastly recommended that you do not wash your hair with products more than every OTHER day at a minimum. Shampoos strip your hair of essential oils and minerals in addition to the dirt and grime that accumulates. That is why your hair needs time to naturally replenish itself. Washing your hair 2-4 times a week is what you should be doing. Once may be a little extreme, but that depends on whether or not you workout/sweat, etc.

has anyone tried Kiehl's hair products?

i've used kiehl's shampoo and conditioner for about two years now and have been very satisfied (the amino acid shampoo and conditioner) I also use their shave cream which has worked out very well for me.

i don't really know anything about hair or haircare, but the stuff seems like it does a good job so i guess i can't complain or offer you any real info

I HAVE to wash every day, I have a super persistent strain of mega dandruff. I use head and shoulders every day, then a "clean" shampoo, then Philosophy conditioner. My hair is super shiny, soft, and pretty pretty. My only complaint is it curls back up every time I wash it, and then I have to straighten it. I also use a leave in uv and heat heair protector after I wash my hair so I dont kill it with the straightener.

I only wash my hair when it's about to get cut (just so the babes who wash it don't think I'm a hippie). I go a month maybe two without washing it just rinsing and I perfer this over anything else. Sometimes I use molding clay that a stylist friend gave to me but for the most part I'm all natural.

Ok...I didn't want to start a new thread but I wanted to hear what you guys have to say. My hair is pretty thick I guess and looks really poofy sometimes. After I get it wet it tends to curl at the ends which I hate. I now try to wash my hair as little as possible now because it looks way better. When I wash it I usually have to sleep on it or something to get it straightened out and manageable. Are there any products that can combat this poofiness (after I don't wash my hair for a while) and curliness (right after I wash my hair)?

I happen to use aveda products. I also have very thick hair that is wavy and poofy. I recommend using Aveda Hang Straight and Smoothing fluid, then flat iron with a decent iron like a Chi. I can go for about 5 days without washing after. Aveda is pretty pricey but to me they're definitely worth it (it also doesn't hurt that my girl is a hairstylist that gets them at cost.)

my aunt has been a hairstylist for over 40 years and some of the stories she has told me has made me stay away from supermarket hair products.

my little sisters scalp was pretty f'd up after she used Fructis or some cheap ass shampoo for a while, she needed medical treatment for it. saloon-bought shampoo doesn't do anything to her. this of course doesn't happen to everybody, probably to people with a more sensitive scalp, but it tells me atleast that these products don't act the proper way.

Ok...I didn't want to start a new thread but I wanted to hear what you guys have to say. My hair is pretty thick I guess and looks really poofy sometimes. After I get it wet it tends to curl at the ends which I hate. I now try to wash my hair as little as possible now because it looks way better. When I wash it I usually have to sleep on it or something to get it straightened out and manageable. Are there any products that can combat this poofiness (after I don't wash my hair for a while) and curliness (right after I wash my hair)?

I have the same kind of hair I think, really strong and thick. After trying several different shampoos and conditioners I have concluded that Dove is the shit! I use the moisturizing shampoo and the conditioner from Dove and it works like nothing else I've tried. I can control my hair much better and it doesn't feel as dry as it does with some shampoos. I can also wash every day, which I can't with other products, because my hair gets all dry and stuff.

Don't buy expensive shampoos just because they're expensive, most dont really work at all. Remember that you cant repair hair and all that crap. Just get a moisturizing shampoo and a conditioner. Go out and buy a couple different shampoos and try them. Throw away those that dont work for you. KMS's conditioner is also good.

for asians, normal western shampoo don't do the trick. if you try a japanese shampoo like asience, you will never go back. go to the japanese supermarket and they will usually have shampoo, conditioner and treatment (japanese use this occasionally to treat the scalp and hair--comes in a jar) on sale. it's expensive compared to western stuff, but it lasts a long time and it's great.

in the summertime, i like to use japanese menthol shampoo. forgot the name, maybe someone over there can tell us. it comes in a blue bottle and it makes you feel very cool.....

however, if you can only get western brands, redken is probably the best (but most expensive) western shampoo i've used.

but now, i shave off my hair so just a little bit of my wife's shampoo for me...

in the summertime, i like to use japanese menthol shampoo. forgot the name, maybe someone over there can tell us. it comes in a blue bottle and it makes you feel very cool.....

Sea Breeze?

The curliness does not really bother me too much because sometimes I can take care of them, but it is the poofiness that really sucks. My hair looks best when it is slightly wet/damp.

1) Use some sort of styling wax/paste (for exemple. black & white works pretty well)

2) Get your hair trimmed often, otherwise it will always look poofy no matter how hard you try

for asians, normal western shampoo don't do the trick. if you try a japanese shampoo like asience, you will never go back. go to the japanese supermarket and they will usually have shampoo, conditioner and treatment (japanese use this occasionally to treat the scalp and hair--comes in a jar) on sale. it's expensive compared to western stuff, but it lasts a long time and it's great.

however, if you can only get western brands, redken is probably the best (but most expensive) western shampoo i've used.

but now, i shave off my hair so just a little bit of my wife's shampoo for me...

Thx for the tip! I've been trying some different salon products in the past, but they arent the best for my hair. Now I just need to looks for somewhere that has it.

Also, I can't believe how some of you don't wash your hair for weeks! I usually wash my hair everyday, or every other day. Mostly because I put so much hair products in my hair. (Molding clay, hairspray, pomade). Oh, and my hair is dyed too, so I gotta tend to that.