Gap Selvege?!?

eutum

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ The Gap selvedge denim is ringXring from Japan. It's very nice stuff, and the cut is very nice as well... I would say pretty much exactly as the Julian Red Cali's. Even at 98 dollars they are a good price. Gap is a bit boring in their design, yes, but they do have very good quality for the price I think. Their selvedge from their first 1969 line in 2001 was really nice stuff as well.

^ The Gap selvedge denim is ringXring from Japan. It's very nice stuff, and the cut is very nice as well... I would say pretty much exactly as the Julian Red Cali's. Even at 98 dollars they are a good price. Gap is a bit boring in their design, yes, but they do have very good quality for the price I think. Their selvedge from their first 1969 line in 2001 was really nice stuff as well.

I've tried on both pairs of the Morrisons (selvage and non-selvage). I actually prefer the non-selvage ones more, which are a great deal at $58 if you're looking for a pair of slim, dark (almost black) jeans. The cut is a comfortably slim, which should work well on most.

I've tried on both pairs of the Morrisons (selvage and non-selvage). I actually prefer the non-selvage ones more, which are a great deal at $58 if you're looking for a pair of slim, dark (almost black) jeans. The cut is a comfortably slim, which should work well on most.

I find this funny.

You guys will pay $200+ for a pair of Japanese brand selvedge denim but you won't pay $60-90 for a pair of Gap jeans that are made with the same Japanese selvedge.

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

i tried these on and they definately are not made from denim of similar quality to japanese brands. nice but not that nice.

besides denim alone does not make quality jeans. construction and design also factor. if these were cut like a levis '47, had hidden rivets and heavy slubby 14 oz denim you might have a point.

^ I would say pretty much exactly as the Julian Red Cali's. Even at 98 dollars they are a good price.

i dont know where you get that from. calis have a slouchy anti fit ass and slim tapered legs. the calves on these is much larger and the fit is not at all similar. it doesnt even look similar in your pictures. maybe if you wear you jeans all loose and shapeless but that comparison is WAY off.

dont get me wrong, gap has nice stuff from time to time, but these 2 comments are way off imo

I find this funny.

You guys will pay $200+ for a pair of Japanese brand selvedge denim but you won't pay $60-90 for a pair of Gap jeans that are made with the same Japanese selvedge.

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

i tried these on and they definately are not made from denim of similar quality to japanese brands. nice but not that nice.

besides denim alone does not make quality jeans. construction and design also factor. if these were cut like a levis '47, had hidden rivets and heavy slubby 14 oz denim you might have a point.

^ I would say pretty much exactly as the Julian Red Cali's. Even at 98 dollars they are a good price.

i dont know where you get that from. calis have a slouchy anti fit ass and slim tapered legs. the calves on these is much larger and the fit is not at all similar. it doesnt even look similar in your pictures. maybe if you wear you jeans all loose and shapeless but that comparison is WAY off.

dont get me wrong, gap has nice stuff from time to time, but these 2 comments are way off imo

culture pop

I have both the cali's and the gap ones, and looking at the cut they are very very similar. Granted, the gap ones i have are production samples but i don't think they've changed very much on their way to retail. I have said before i am not the best shape for the cali's or the gap for that matter, but trust me, inch for inch from the pattern, the two are very very similar.

As for the denim, the gap jeans are made of Italian Selvedge denim and constructed in Macau. True, the denim is not as nice as some Japanese repro's but then again these cost three times less and when they go on sale, they will be a fraction of that cost. Construction wise I do not believe they are of any less quality than many other brands. I think it just comes to down whether or not you really want to spend the money for something that is a few classes above. I personally think these jeans are decent for their price.

they definately seem like a good deal and of decent quality but to compare them to calis is to do julian red a huge disservice. the calis have a very unique cut and the gap is kinda ho hum. i stand by the fact that calis are much more tapered and have a much more stylish drape, at least when worn properly.

Quote : Where ? I dont see this on the site?

I think he meant in-store. I'll try to hit up gap today to check out the selvage and non-selvage slims. Judging from the pics I've seen they seem not bad and affordable too. Hopefully the creases on the back won't be set too deep so that they can be removed.

Plussung, I agree with cultpop on the comparison to Julian Red cali....in your pic they really look nothing like JR Calis. They don't look bad, but I know for a fact that my dry Calis are much slimmer down the leg esp at the calf area. Maybe there are aspects to the cut that are similar but I'd say it's more like the Gap wanted to make a "skinny jean" that was democratic to fit a wider range of their customer, which kind of defeats the purpose in making a skinny jean.

• 3 months later...

So slim fit = Morrison? I was at the GAP a week ago and I tried on the Gough selvedge and they were way too baggy for me. I didn't try on the Morrison because I didn't know they had any other pairs of selvedge. Maybe I'll have to go back to check those out. Does anyone know if the Morrison is the same denim as the Gough?

Alright, I have to clear this up, between this and the other gap thread, it seems like a lot of people are getting mixed up about the different gap jeans.

GAP CURRENTLY HAS 4 (FOUR) that's right selvage jeans.

the one most talked about are these:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=16127&pid=408895

the morrison selvage. they're tapered, button fly (regardless of what the website says), one rinse selvage. some nice details about these are the pockets are fancy spancy patterned material, and the back pockets are lined with the same thing. if you like the tapered look, go for these

the 2nd one that nobody ever talks about:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=16127&pid=408897

they're exactly like the morrison selvage except they're ugly. don't even acknowledge the existance of these.

3rd: some product (RED) thing:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=20859&pid=468098

never seen them in real life or whatever, so I cant judge. they're like double the price of all their other jeans, makes me wonder what's so special. maybe they just bumped up the price to break even the fact that they're donating an unknown amount to people with aids in africa. some people have seen this jean and say it's actually not bad. duno, cant judge here.

the 4th selvage jean is the "gough". it's not on the website yet cuz it's 07 stuff. I have a pair of these. they're almost like the morrison selvage, EXCEPT...they're straight leg, the back pockets are different, they have TWO coin pockets, and have 1 more button on the button fly, the pockets are no longered patterened material, just plain black, the back pockets are not lined anymore, and some other minor details are different, such as obviously detailing of the cut. the denim if you compare it with the selvage morrison, are almost identical. the actual selvage is not fruity rainbow colored. Me, being a not so much liking the tight jeans or tapered look, prefer the goughs straight leg over the morrison. (you can see pics of these in the other GAP thread)

then there's the 5th.. it's not selvage but some of you guys might get confused.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=16127&pid=380744

it's just the "morrison" jean. it's not selvage, it's raw (yes it actually is), its tapered, it is cheaper, and feels a lot cheaper too. I duno, to me it just looks and feels like cheap denim that is raw.

... that's it. I hope that helped.