Denim in New York

StrictlyRoca

Atrium and Co-Op are also viable options as they have a decent selection and more variety...however, I really like shopping at FFriends for denim - Richard always has some good pieces in his store....Steve Alan is solid...Odin on 11st is a nice spot for men's clothes and they stock some quality denims...not a big fan of Lounge - normally hit or miss, mostly miss for me...//dave

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

i never really saw anytthing that great in selvedge when i used to go there....my problem is im a big guy (kinda fat) i would prob need a 38 in any vintage jeans in order for them to fit...and i never see them....i like the style of evisus...i just wish u could get em without the gulls on the back...jeez im clueless when it comes to denim.

I'm a big guy too 220 lbs...used to be a 36 before winter set in...now i'm more comfortable in a 38. These dunderdon jeans I just got are great in a 38. Not too baggy not too tight. Sits just right. I also got a pair of APC English cut jeans in a 36. They're a bit more snug but not testicle-adjusting tight. My Rogans in 38 is kinda baggy. Probably the best fitting jeans I own are my Fake London's. Got a pair at Barney's a few years ago and they still fit great. Recently copped a pair in Century 21 for $100. Not bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:

Didn't Selvedge close? I didn't see the store front last time I was in the neighbourhood...

Don't think Union has had a mention yet. They usually have PRPS, Rogan, Levi's and 5EP. Prohibit might also be worth a look. They stock some nice looking denim by brands I've never heard of alongside the requisite Evisu.

--- Original message by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Feb 15, 2005 11:02 AM

is PRPS owned by Akademiks?

I was a target cause I'm a fashion misfit

and the outfit that I'm wearing brothers dissing it

It's weird about PRPS, when I first saw them early last year they had some really fucking nice jeans. Great denim, great washes, nice simple skate cut but with loads of cool detailing (DPM fabric used for the pockets, several different types of button on the fly, purple selvage line) and all at a pretty reasonable price (Union had 'em for around $200 or so). Then their fall/winter line came out and the designs were generally uglier, the detailing less interesting and the $100 price hike seemed totally undeserved. Denim quality still seemed okay, but not all selvage. I haven't really looked at them since.

The purple selvage line was really cool. I don't think I've seen any other selvage denim that used that colour. It was almost exactly the same as the purple on the PRPS tag...not sure if that means it was a custom batch or not. I don't know if they stopped using it because of the cost (poor exchange on the dollar would be a big factor) or so that they could experiment with non-traditional cuts. The cynical part of me is wondering if they were just treating that first season's product as a loss leader in order to build a reputation for quality and innovation before charging 50% more and cutting costs.

kinda agree with that, i think the prps spring line seems weak, though new stuff might still be coming. if im not mistaken i only saw 1 or 2 pairs which use selvage denim.. some of the stuff in fact remind me of a&f ezra...

oh selvedge on mulberry st is not close btw. just dropped by a few days ago.

Hello all

Dave R. thanks for the mention.

To the Experts, it has been a pleasure reading your postings.

Carlos

Selvedge is still there on Mulberry St, somehow it does not stand out like it used to, I had to do a double take the last time I went there.

Anyway I hope that I can offer something to this forum

R

• 2 weeks later...

I love shit like this. So great.

"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666" (Rev. 13:16-18).