good hip hop

I totally agree with Hocus Pocus. I am sick of every Nas album being compared to Illmatic. Illmatic was made 15 years ago. That is like comparing every Rolling Stones album to Exile on Main St. Just review the album for what it is.

how is it not a legitimate argument? I mean, there's a whole thread about artists/bands that were once good and aren't as good now. Also, I did compare it to his last album anyway, which came out a year ago, is that recent enough? It's not our fault that Nas set the bar ridiculously high when he first came out.

By the way, Exile on Main st is just a little bit better than Bridges to Babylon...

edit: On second listen, I'd say it's at least better than mediocre

Best Line:

Only Fox that I love was the Redd one

Only Black Man that Fox Loves is in jail or a dead one

I'm only up to America so far.

But I have to say its not as horrible as I thought it would be.

I really dont like the theme of the album to be honest. The whole disadvantaged black man thing he's got going on. I feel Nas is trying to break out of what could be considered a rut by dropping something really controversial (which i guess he tried to do with HHID). He's trying to distinguish the rest of his work from illmatic and I agree with others about not even considering that album when forming an opinion on this.

With that in mind; i like it.

how is it not a legitimate argument? I mean, there's a whole thread about artists/bands that were once good and aren't as good now.

Well, subjectivity defines that we have right to both complain that an artist isn't as good, but at the same time an artist has a right to alter their style and not be compared to their previous work.

For example, comparing Schoenberg's work in 1915 to his work in 1935 is mad. You can argue that one is better than the other, but they're so different that comparison is frankly insane.

does anyone know what happened to the original album title "Nigger"? and also, where is "Be a N Too"? I liked that. Maybe songs like that and "The N" from HHID promos won't get released for a while

I believe Def Jam stated that they would have to drop Nas if he insisted releasing the album with that title. For a while Nas said in interviews that he wasn't going to change it no matter what, but in the end he backed down.

I haven't given the album a proper listen through so it wouldn't be fair to state my opinion on it quite yet.

mayne i told you all about his mixtape like 6 mos ago...or maybe i forgot...aye o is still the hottest joint of 08

on an unrelated note: this may be old news, but cassidy fucking sucks a dick [ll]

it's a goddamn shame swizz wasted one of the dopest beats of the last 5 years (i'm a hustla) on that fucking clown

and his new mixtape is with green lantern...why the fuck do good people keep working with him? he doesn't even sell that many records

maybe it's b/c he killed a guy?

:confused:

Cassidys flow its bananas. He's like the Philly version of 'kiss. In sound and lack of quality albums.

based on his freestlyes im going to blame his shitty albums on his record company. if he didnt come out as 'that dude on that r kelly track' he might have had a chance at being on some really sick grimey hood shit. but you just cant live that first impression down. still, i dont check his albums, i just know he has potential.

good freestyle rapper, albums are straight shit. Kiss at least has had a few decent tracks on albums even though overall they've been wack. Cassidy hasnt had a single good album track.

I nominate the track with Styles P on his first album as one of his only good album tracks. THe one with Kiss was good money too. Swizz laced those two.

I like some Cass...a little too punchy for me to think a good album would come out of him...but he's nice, I've got some shit ("freestyles") where he comes off.

In saying that...I enjoyed the "battle" with Free...and might be one of the only people on the planet who thinks Free didn't get SLAUGHTERED. Perhaps I'm a bit biased since I know that it happened right after the ridiculous first Roc Hot-97 take over on Flex's show where Jay was inviting people and their crews (Nas/QB) to bring their best to the table.

Beans and Free over "I Shot Ya" into "Keep It Thoro" for the win. If you don't know about that, you've missed the boat...but i may have a leftover ticket for you somewhere on the hard drive.

That whole Cassidy Free battle was like comparing isiah thomas to Wilt Chamberlain. Cass is all about that punchline but can't really carry a beat, when Freeway was callin' for a beat the whole time cause his rhyming patterns are ill:

Let me get five for twenty, or seven for thrity

That shit that you hear in the ghetto

They don't care in the hood

Cop four twenties and seven thirties

Then niggas disappear from the ghetto

Get snatched from the hood

Feds grab 'em, and some get put in the dirt

Some live in grime, good with the work

Stick up kids get hit with the nine

But the funeral parlor good with embalming fluid

Good with the hearst

Some niggas don't even grind

Philadelphia Freeway was a fuckin sick CD

Nas fell off the face of the earth after God's Son

Kiss' albums aren't that bad - him and P are probably the only two rappers in history to save their very best shit for mixtapes

Beans and Free over "I Shot Ya" into "Keep It Thoro" for the win. If you don't know about that, you've missed the boat...but i may have a leftover ticket for you somewhere on the hard drive.

Cats be promising but cats don't be comin through.

please tell me you're kidding.

Nas's response on DJ Kay Slay's show.

"50 better watch what he says about me. Last dude that did ending up retiring and making rock and r&b records (linkin park & r kelly albums)"-Nas

I'm not going to have a lil pow wow with you. I'm just going to state the facts. After Stillmatic, this is what happened.

The fuck I care what Nas said on some radio show

what I'm saying is that before you start making remarks, you should probably know that Stillmatic came before God's Son, making your initial comment pretty pointless.

Stillmatic? he only ended Jay-Z's career. I guess he did fall off
Nas's response on DJ Kay Slay's show.

"50 better watch what he says about me. Last dude that did ending up retiring and making rock and r&b records (linkin park & r kelly albums)"-Nas

I'm not going to have a lil pow wow with you. I'm just going to state the facts. After Stillmatic, this is what happened.

Look at how dumb you are.

Im really bored so Im going to expand on your dumbness:

The Blueprint 2 went platinum. Double platinum. I wont even mention The Blueprint 2.1's #''s.

The Blueprint not only went platinum but managed to sell nearly 500 thousand copies on 9/11.