Why the hype over Nike SB? Cool or wack?

Mr T

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to equate nike sb with "skateboarding" is retarded.

i haven't put my feet on a skateboard deck since i was 12.

does this make me a poser ? ... probably ... in the eyes of so called purists who want to emulate an image they seem to cling to ... while being in self denial for the fact that anyone who skates in shoes that they paid way too much for are in the column for fashion over function.

ecues skate well. i figure.

but to the kids who argue that SB is purely for skateboarders ... get off of it.

my SBs have never touched a skateboard deck and all i have are middle fingers for kids who think that somehow the unkle dunks that are currently on my feet were meant for a skateboarder and not this cool fucking asian kid.

i can understand a kid who is in it for this recent sneaker collecting craze ... or just kids who like nice shoes ... but to say that these clearly trendy dunks ... rooted in basketball of all things ... and uplifted and cherished for being a fashion staple ... are somehow purely for skateboarders due to nike marketing campaigns needs to choke on a chunky smoothie.

i were em because they look good on my feet and i love sneakers. what's wrong with that ?

shop @ recon + nort.

i'd put dunk SBs in the same column as those fucking tony hawk games. have fun with em if that's your thing ... just don't front as if that shit was designed for skateboarders only. seeing how most of both products are probably consumed by kids who don't skate.

reseller ? ... ebay ? ... fuck if you knew me seeing how i have 4 total posts.

shop @ recon + nort.

Edited by won ton destruction on Feb 23, 2005 at 03:38 AM

at least this place isnt niketalk where idiots abound dress up fly like their glam gansta idols and sit in front of computers with 100's of pairs of shoes theyve never even worn asking questions like "do these dunks look good with pants?" and the even better "could you post pictures of you wearing pants with that specific shoe?" or the infamous "how do you guys lace your shoes?" post.

Im not down with your syndrome.

Quote: i were em because they look good on my feet and i love sneakers. what's wrong with that ?

There is nothing wrong with that - the dunk design is a classic, nike makes good quality shoes, and the new colourways are super nice. If you like them - buy them, it is pretty simple.

Quote: to equate nike sb with "skateboarding" is retarded.

How on God's green earth would peole come to associate Nike SB (SkateBoarding) with skateboarding? Comman - you know how skaters are, why would you go and say something like that? If you skate (ie, put in the pain, effort and heartache of trying the same trick for 5 hours straight only to land it once) then you damn well deserve anything that you want that has 'skateboarding' on it.

Your argument has been noted - it is all just a marketing ploy - I m just pissed that I can t get my hands on the sb dunks I want.

THE HORSE IS DEAD!!! just leave it alone already.

the first series of dunk sbs came out 3 years ago.

to contribute something to the original post i think that some of the japanese footwear brands (visvim, tas, ubiq, etc...) have some cool shoes. most of the designs are just bites but they do interesting things with materials and colorways. but they're just as expensive and exclusive as SBs.

callous has some cool shapes but up to this point i haven't really liked the colorways they've put out. this new one on their site looks DOPE tho:

cover_pic_tach01.gif

Drinkin' sake on a Suzuki, we in Osaka Bay.

damn. people don't even read all of what you post on superfuture huh ? ... speed reading works and all ... if you actually know how to do it.

re-read that post where i go on about how i'm not "cool" ... and how that shit has obviously been completely taken the wrong way.

i can see the appeal of jumping on whoever is new ... shit that's what freshmen friday was all about yeah ? ... but fuck don't be so quick to dismiss kids so easily ... especially if shit is based on a misunderstanding and a bad first impression.

Edited by won ton destruction on Feb 23, 2005 at 03:01 PM

I think it is funny that Nike is actually calling them skate shoes now. Back 6-7 years ago when I lived in Norfolk, VA, most of the kids I skated with (myself included), wore AF1's (or DC's as we called them) and Dunks to skate in.

So, wearing Nikes to skate in is nothing new to me, but it's amusing to see how long it took Nike to realize that kids were skating in them and not playing basketball in them.

Get Familiar.

I think the Dunks SBs look nice and all, but seriously its just a shoe.

Its pretty crazy how much the price gets pushed up by resellers and on ebay , but in the end its just another shoe.

it's obvious NIKE is doing it for the street cred/cool factor , and ultimately its working lookin at what some people are willing to pay for a pair.

Edited by homi29 on Feb 26, 2005 at 12:55 AM

I'm not hating on the dunk, I think the shoe itself looks great on your foot, but the HYPE is what kills. I've noticed other "subcultures" getting all up on the dunk sb, just becuase it's cool and limited, so I see all kinds of herbatrons rocking dunk SBs that don't skate, or appreciate sneakers. That's what breaks my heart.

IDonTcare

Quote:

I think it is funny that Nike is actually calling them skate shoes now. Back 6-7 years ago when I lived in Norfolk, VA, most of the kids I skated with (myself included), wore AF1's (or DC's as we called them) and Dunks to skate in.

So, wearing Nikes to skate in is nothing new to me, but it's amusing to see how long it took Nike to realize that kids were skating in them and not playing basketball in them.

--- Original message by brokenrecord on Feb 25, 2005 03:42 PM

it didnt take them that long to realize people were skating in them and not playing basketball, they had to do their research to see whether or not it would be profitable for them.

• 2 months later...

SB Nikes are just a fad now and that why they're popular. Its a simple example of supply and demand. Nike limits the supply while increasing the hype around them - artist collabs, shop collabs etc... and thus the price goes up because people are willing to pay for it. Look at Louis Vouitton and gucci, its a simple monogram logo repeated over and over on a handbag but women will literally do anything to get them when they're popular.

So called luxury goods create a weird market enviornment where typical rules of ecominics and plain old fashion logic don't really seem to apply - why would anyone pay $150-300 for a pair of very simple Nikes? or a plain old handbag? Like any fad, items like this that do not innovate or dont perform better because of their quality or precieved value, they will fall out of favor with the masses eventually. Pogs, Beanie Babies, von dutch hats etc..

Does anyone remember when the dunks first got reissued? No one wanted them and stores had trouble getting rid of them, but now because of the hype they cant get enough, its quite strange.

Pissing in your pocket book with an eye patch on like captain hook.