Ionizing stanky jeans

derdankhund

I posted a while back theorizing about using an ionic breeze to kill the odor in a pair of stinky jeans...at the time I didn't have any at that stage, but three months in to my okinawas, and much yard work and mountain hikes later, they had officially reached critical funk. I decided to try things out with the air purifier, and draped my Okinawas over the air purifier overnight, putting the length of the purifier up one leg for six hours, and switching it up with the other for another six hours. Sure enough, the next morning there was no stink, even when held up right to my nose. I did this several weeks ago, and have since sweated in them heavily a few times (Maryland in the summer is a humid funk). The stink did return rather readily, but another session on the air purifier did the trick each time. I also tried it on a polo I wore to the bars one night that stunk of cigarettes and it took the smell out as well...

I'm kind of happy, although I sure don't need another reason not to do my laundry...

The air purifier I have is the Ionic Breeze from Sharper Image...it's a few years old and they have much newer models that kill germs and other things. I've recently seen a lot of deals on them, both from Sharper Image themselves, and on ebay... There are also cheaper Ionic air purifiers out there, as well as much more industrial capacity ones, but I don't know all that much about it.

A further insight on this...the ionized air flows out of one side of the purifier with a very slight flow; hence you want to strategically move whatever you're ionizing accordingly. When my jeans were at their worst I did it for a while in both legs, and then angled the waist/crotch area to cover the outflow side. Given Maryland's summer weather, I also had a fan going for the majority of day/night, so this probably aided matters slightly.

recently I heard about some sort of negative effects from using ionizers like the Ionic Breeze. Can't remember where I read it or what exactly it was, but the article I read essentially said that all of Sharper Image's marketing talk is 100% BS (gee, what a surprise coming from Sharper Image...)

• 3 weeks later...
The Whirlpool Fabric Freshener is the way to go.

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=513

Have you had any success with this method: The info in the link says that is uses steam to get rid of the odor. Is that good or bad? And it gets rid of wrinkles, not so good.

I've got an air purifier that uses an air filter instead of charged plates. I'll give it a shot when I find it, although the jeans i'm working on are only a couple days used. Has anyone else tried it this way?